Gem Dailies 9 Day

We hear ya, just got back from the GEM this morning, and since we got to figure out what to eat for lunch ourselves & dinner tonight, it will take a tiny bit of time to scan & upload it to share with all - with posted links. It was pretty warm if not hot done in the "Rib"s and pools/hot tubs were open once we had calm seas (esp. around the Carolinas ...)

Cayo Levantado excursion in Samana - was NOT free but offered, and most of the tours for Samana/DR were on sale, discounted from the officially posted printed prices circulating around.

The General Latitude reception was on the morning on (Sea) Day #2 in the Spinmaker Lounge and Silver/Gold/Platinum wine & cheese reception on Day 6 - in the evening (once we began our return trip from Samana.)

Just a heads up - the NY Manhattan Cruise Terminal is still WITHOUT electricity and heat, running on limited/backup power, so dress warmly & be prepared to walk - plenty of porters on hand to help ;) for a generous "appreciation" of green bucks, of course. This is NOT related to NCL & beyond their control, just find it hard to believe - after 17 days, that they still cannot get things fixed - but, we managed by walking our luggages across 12th Avenue to the Taxi Stand, waited in lines for about 20 minutes for ours - not too bad as we had Priority Debarkation once the long lines of Express/Self Walk-Offs were finished - using gangway on Deck 4.

Ship is in great shape, crews are excellent & the stormy seas for 15 to 20 hours out of NYC last week as the Nor-Easter were coming actually wasn't bad at all - we were low & mid-ship, having fun watching the raging seas out of our windows, riding it out with a blast doing 23.7 knots at times.

Review & others to follow w. photos once the laundry gets going ... (what's housekeeping) :eek:

We hear ya, just got back from the GEM this morning, and since we got to figure out what to eat for lunch ourselves & dinner tonight, it will take a tiny bit of time to scan & upload it to share with all - with posted links. It was pretty warm if not hot done in the "Rib"s and pools/hot tubs were open once we had calm seas (esp. around the Carolinas ...)

Cayo Levantado excursion in Samana - was NOT free but offered, and most of the tours for Samana/DR were on sale, discounted from the officially posted printed prices circulating around.

The General Latitude reception was on the morning on (Sea) Day #2 in the Spinmaker Lounge and Silver/Gold/Platinum wine & cheese reception on Day 6 - in the evening (once we began our return trip from Samana.)

Just a heads up - the NY Manhattan Cruise Terminal is still WITHOUT electricity and heat, running on limited/backup power, so dress warmly & be prepared to walk - plenty of porters on hand to help ;) for a generous "appreciation" of green bucks, of course. This is NOT related to NCL & beyond their control, just find it hard to believe - after 17 days, that they still cannot get things fixed - but, we managed by walking our luggages across 12th Avenue to the Taxi Stand, waited in lines for about 20 minutes for ours - not too bad as we had Priority Debarkation once the long lines of Express/Self Walk-Offs were finished - using gangway on Deck 4.

Ship is in great shape, crews are excellent & the stormy seas for 15 to 20 hours out of NYC last week as the Nor-Easter were coming actually wasn't bad at all - we were low & mid-ship, having fun watching the raging seas out of our windows, riding it out with a blast doing 23.7 knots at times.

Review & others to follow w. photos once the laundry gets going ... (what's housekeeping) :eek:

Thank you!

Cayo Levantado was $14.99 for Adults & $9.99 for Children. Not sure what the Child age is as they charge me the child rate for my 16 year old. We were not crazy about the Beach at all. We arrived at Cayo Levantado at 9am and the first tender back was suppose to be at 1pm. However by 12:15pm the line was so long for people wanting to go back they started the tenders back early.

Cayo Levantado was $14.99 for Adults & $9.99 for Children. Not sure what the Child age is as they charge me the child rate for my 16 year old. We were not crazy about the Beach at all. We arrived at Cayo Levantado at 9am and the first tender back was suppose to be at 1pm. However by 12:15pm the line was so long for people wanting to go back they started the tenders back early.

Thats was the ships excursion? That is much cheaper then what is offered on the website. I didn't prepay because I booked before they started doing that, but I wonder how they will credit people who prepaid.

I have been 2 times and loved the island. I am surprised you and others wanted to go back.

Yes that was the Ship's excursion. I had prepaid the higher amount. However they credited my account for the full difference once onboard. Originally I also paid the adult price for my 16 year old but when they adjusted it they charged her a child rate. The island seemed very run down and the water was extremely rough. However it was not too full. The ship kept promoting the excursion right up to that morning.

Hi love trauma, we are on the Gem in Jan -- 1st time NCL after prior Carnival and HAL cruises. Did you go to San Juan? Our Gem itinerary doesnt arrive San Juan til 3 pm and I am thinking there really wont be a lot to do as most nearby attractions close between 4 and 6 pm. We just want to walk around old San Juan.

Also I DO hope you post a review soon ... want to hear it all!

Hi love trauma, we are on the Gem in Jan -- 1st time NCL after prior Carnival and HAL cruises. Did you go to San Juan? Our Gem itinerary doesnt arrive San Juan til 3 pm and I am thinking there really wont be a lot to do as most nearby attractions close between 4 and 6 pm. We just want to walk around old San Juan.

Also I DO hope you post a review soon ... want to hear it all!

Hello Cambrensis... we'll be on the same cruise! Have you looked at our roll call? We'll be scheduling a Meet and Greet, they are usually attending by several of the ships officers and you'll have a good opportunity to meet them and talk to them about NCL and their jobs. It is usually the first sea day in the morning. We are also planning a slot pull... stop over and check in. Lot of us have sailed NCL many times. Also a good place to discuss ports and excursions.

Here is the link.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1552115

Yes that was the Ship's excursion. I had prepaid the higher amount. However they credited my account for the full difference once onboard. Originally I also paid the adult price for my 16 year old but when they adjusted it they charged her a child rate. The island seemed very run down and the water was extremely rough. However it was not too full. The ship kept promoting the excursion right up to that morning.

It has been 2 years since I have been. I am very surprised since it is attached to a beautiful resort that they would let it be run down. My son will be 17 and he was always charged as a child price. Thanks

Dailies are getting scanned & processed this afternoon, now that housekeeping & laundries are taken care of (at home, LOL) along with meals - hard to believe 9 days went quick and the beds are no longer vibrating while we sleep - it should be up by tomorrow, if not sooner once I finished writing up parts of my review as I realize many of you have upcoming Gem sailings and eager to plan ahead.

Here are the 2 page summary planner that we received upon boarding in our stateroom, helpful to plan ahead w/o the Dailies itself -

Dropbox (public) links for those who wish to download or view -

http://db.tt/3S8OSeP4

http://db.tt/Jg7Jglcw

For upcoming sailings, please note that as of this Friday, Nov 16th. 2012 - the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at Pier 88 is still running on generator-powered backup power and no heat, elevators not working and taxi/car service pickup are across 12th Avenue on the oppposite side of the pier. Dropoff is fine for embarkation on level 2, pack lightly if you can. Parking above the terminal at the pier is fine.

For our sailing, we're passing the Statue of Liberty before 7 am while enjoying our morning breakfast in the MDR and sailing very slowly up the Hudson by 7:30 and docked around 8 am - it took longer than usual to tie up the ship and secure the gangway via Deck 4 (due to power outage) and slow for them to unload luggages. Lines for the Express Self-Walkoff was long, snaking around around the Altrium to the Blizz Lounge on Deck 7 Aft even while they're finally called & allow to head down the stairs to Deck 4 after 9 am. Non-US citizens had to report first to the Spinmaker Lounge on Deck 13 to be cleared first !!

We have Priority Disembarkation (Yellow) Tag and were called around 9:30 am, getting off was easier by then - found our luggages neatly lined up and headed toward the exit. CBP officer didn't even checked our US passports & just took our Customs Declaration Form and waived us onward - it was a good 5+ minutes walking exercise with luggage to reach 12th Avenue.

For Old San Juan, getting off the docked ship was easy, many people were busy with their smartphones & getting re-connected again, LOL - up 2 or 3 blocks is a Starbuck and 2 more blocks, a Burger King (ha ha) and 2 blocks to the left on the pier on the waterfront is a CVS, excellent prices for soda, bottled water, OTC meds, snacks & essentials - great for those flying & traveling light to re/stock up again for the rest of the journey. Besides, after 3+ days at sea & surfing the rougher than usual seas, it was good to hit solid land for a few hours.

More details & links once I get the review & scanned docs ready.

1082430955_NCLGem9DayE.CaribbeanITN001.jpg.2f80dc584ffbb35fc55c4775046acba6.jpg

1005876935_NCLGem9DayE.CaribbeanITN002.jpg.8c3812ba5eb5327253a246ca2c32def1.jpg

Dailies are getting scanned & processed this afternoon, now that housekeeping & laundries are taken care of (at home, LOL) along with meals - hard to believe 9 days went quick and the beds are no longer vibrating while we sleep - it should be up by tomorrow, if not sooner once I finished writing up parts of my review as I realize many of you have upcoming Gem sailings and eager to plan ahead.

Here are the 2 page summary planner that we received upon boarding in our stateroom, helpful to plan ahead w/o the Dailies itself -

Dropbox (public) links for those who wish to download or view -

http://db.tt/3S8OSeP4

http://db.tt/Jg7Jglcw

For upcoming sailings, please note that as of this Friday, Nov 16th. 2012 - the Manhattan Cruise Terminal at Pier 88 is still running on generator-powered backup power and no heat, elevators not working and taxi/car service pickup are across 12th Avenue on the oppposite side of the pier. Dropoff is fine for embarkation on level 2, pack lightly if you can. Parking above the terminal at the pier is fine.

For our sailing, we're passing the Statue of Liberty before 7 am while enjoying our morning breakfast in the MDR and sailing very slowly up the Hudson by 7:30 and docked around 8 am - it took longer than usual to tie up the ship and secure the gangway via Deck 4 (due to power outage) and slow for them to unload luggages. Lines for the Express Self-Walkoff was long, snaking around around the Altrium to the Blizz Lounge on Deck 7 Aft even while they're finally called & allow to head down the stairs to Deck 4 after 9 am. Non-US citizens had to report first to the Spinmaker Lounge on Deck 13 to be cleared first !!

We have Priority Disembarkation (Yellow) Tag and were called around 9:30 am, getting off was easier by then - found our luggages neatly lined up and headed toward the exit. CBP officer didn't even checked our US passports & just took our Customs Declaration Form and waived us onward - it was a good 5+ minutes walking exercise with luggage to reach 12th Avenue.

For Old San Juan, getting off the docked ship was easy, many people were busy with their smartphones & getting re-connected again, LOL - up 2 or 3 blocks is a Starbuck and 2 more blocks, a Burger King (ha ha) and 2 blocks to the left on the pier on the waterfront is a CVS, excellent prices for soda, bottled water, OTC meds, snacks & essentials - great for those flying & traveling light to re/stock up again for the rest of the journey. Besides, after 3+ days at sea & surfing the rougher than usual seas, it was good to hit solid land for a few hours.

More details & links once I get the review & scanned docs ready.

Thank you!

Archived