Which Cruise Would You Do? June 2013

agp_mzk

My mother and I are looking into a cruise for next June. Three that are sailing at the right time for us are:

-- 7 day Southern Caribbean from San Juan on Valor (St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten)

-- 7 day Western Caribbean from Miami on Liberty (Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman)

-- 7 day Western Caribbean from New Orleans on Conquest (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)

All three are in roughly the same price range. San Juan and Miami would both require us to fly to the port (about $500 pp round trip). We could drive to New Orleans - about 8 hours. I have cruised once before, on the Fascination to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, and Mom has never been on a cruise. I am 28; she'll be 60 at the time of the cruise. She's in good health but played basketball in college and has terrible knees as a result, so she has difficulty with stairs and walking long distances. I fell in love with snorkeling on my last cruise and would like to have at least a couple of good snorkeling opportunities.

Which trip do our resident experts recommend?

My mother and I are looking into a cruise for next June. Three that are sailing at the right time for us are:

-- 7 day Southern Caribbean from San Juan on Valor (St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten)

-- 7 day Western Caribbean from Miami on Liberty (Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman)

-- 7 day Western Caribbean from New Orleans on Conquest (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)

All three are in roughly the same price range. San Juan and Miami would both require us to fly to the port (about $500 pp round trip). We could drive to New Orleans - about 8 hours. I have cruised once before, on the Fascination to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, and Mom has never been on a cruise. I am 28; she'll be 60 at the time of the cruise. She's in good health but played basketball in college and has terrible knees as a result, so she has difficulty with stairs and walking long distances. I fell in love with snorkeling on my last cruise and would like to have at least a couple of good snorkeling opportunities.

Which trip do our resident experts recommend?

I would take number one from San Juan. The ports are really good with many exciting shore excursions, plus the outstanding shopping (especially St Maarten and St Thomas.)

If you are able to swing it, you should try to go to San Juan a day or two before the cruise, and even stay a day or two after the cruise. San Juan is a really nice port and there are many nice places to visit. But there is method to my madness, because in my opinion the San Juan airport is a veritable madhouse on days when you get back from a cruise. It's a mob scene at the airline check-ins and long lines at the security checks also. Mid week departures are much better. Also, I have sailed 3 times on Valor and it's my favorite Carnival ship. Last but not least, I will say that you can't go wrong with any of your choices, they're all nice, and I believe you'll have a great cruise whichever one to go with. Bon voyage!!!! :)

If money did not enter into it at all and it was based solely on Itinerary, probably the first. However, it will probably be the most expensive and involve a lot of walking since its port intensive. Assuming you are wanting to relax more, save a little money for travel and not have as much walking I would pick Conquest. Its has 2.0 upgrades and its in driving distance for you, which should save some cash.

7 day Western Caribbean from Miami on Liberty (Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Grand Cayman)

These are my favorite that I have been on, Mahogany Bay I truely believe I could stay and never return. It is just beautiful.

The cruise fare is cheapest for the San Juan sailing, interestingly. Price is an issue, but all of these options are within our budget, even with airfare (or gas/parking/etc) factored in.

I'm leaning towards the Southern itinerary out of San Juan, but I haven't shown Mom the options yet. Keep the opinions coming. I'm already getting excited, and we're still a looooong ways out from a potential sail date!

From those three choices, I would choose #1 first, followed closely by #2, and probably skip #3 altogether. Stopping in Montego Bay wouldn't thrill me. This past May, we sailed the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Liberty and had a great time! The Liberty has become our favorite ship, so we've booked it for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary for next May. We took a Southern Carib. cruise a few years ago (on the Destiny, slightly different itinerary) and really loved it. However, as howard6933 pointed out, the airport at San Juan will be packed with returning cruisers on the day you disembark. It's not uncommon to have at least three or four ships all returning at about the same time. If you can't or don't want to spend an extra day in San Juan, be prepared for really long lines at the airport and have lots of patience.:)

Archived