Returning Alcohol allowance

DTMandM

US citizens allowed to bring back 1 liter per adult (21/over). We often bring back a few extra bottles and they wave us through, its not worth their time to do the paperwork. Declare purchases on the form; I just wrote t-shirts, booze, etc. without itemizing, just listing dollar amounts. Customs agent asked how many bottles I bought, declared 4 truthfully and was waved through, no problem.

Honestly, duty/customs has always waved us through without even looking at our forms. Guess it depends how busy they are. I brought home WAY more cigarettes than I was allowed. They didn't even check!!! Yippee for me!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went over by 10 bottles 2 years ago and and it cost $19. If you purchase in the US Virgin Islands I think you are allowed 5 each. I could be totally wrong:)

Correct, only 1 of the 5 can be bought from anywhere other than the US VI.

We just got off of Magic yesterday and this is info on the debarkation sheet:

Duty Free Allowance

Western & Eastern Caribbean:

• $800 total allowance per guest
  • 2 liters of alcohol per person over the age of 21 (Tax and Duty free), 1 liter of which must be from a foreign port
  • 1 carton of cigarettes per person over the age of 18
  • 100 non-Cuban cigars per person over the age of 18

We had bought 5 bottles (750ml each) and claimed alcohol on our form but was never asked how many bottles we had. The customs agent looked at our form and passports then told us to have a good day.

Correct, only 1 of the 5 can be bought from anywhere other than the US VI.

I always brought only one from the US VI and the rest at St Martin.

OP From my understanding IF you visit one of the US VI you are entitled to bring back 5 L each. One must be purchased at a US VI. If you do not visit a US VI, you can only bring back 1 L each.

Make sure you declare all. We had brought back over 10 bottles at one time and we had to pay a duty tax of like 13.00. Well worth the price!

Archived