Flying back with Rum???

ddbaab53

A coule of folks we know would like us to bring them back bottles of Rum. At first we were driving so no problem. Now we are flying instead and not sure how to get them on the plane and home safely. Any Suggestions??

Thanks leaving on Sunday aboard the Legend

you can purchase travel containers - quite a few of the liquor stores have them, they also have cardboard boxes that will also help - often for free... - you can also buy 2 gallon ziploc bags to put them in (just in case)

as a side note - if you DRINK enough rum, you could probably fly back without the airplane! ;)

Both the local stores and the on board store will pack the liquor bottles in a somewhat rigid cardboard carrying box. We've always just made sure there was room (and weight allowance) in our bags and packed them among our clothing. You can also ask for some bubble wrap if you're really worried. The most we've brought back at one time was 6 bottles - one cardboard box held two bottles, one box per suitcase, three suitcases.

A good friend of mine would pack the smaller "nesting" suitcase in the bigger one, then pack the smaller one with clothes. That way, you'd have the extra one to pack up with your "goodies" on your return trip.

Good luck!

A coule of folks we know would like us to bring them back bottles of Rum. At first we were driving so no problem. Now we are flying instead and not sure how to get them on the plane and home safely. Any Suggestions??

Thanks leaving on Sunday aboard the Legend

Well, you would have to place them in your checked baggage since you cannot take more than 3 oz. liquid containers in carry-on. Knowing what I know about how luggage is handled and how many hands could go thru my suitcase I don't think I would put a glass bottle of anything in my luggage.

Besides...in reality the prices you pay and the brands available are not much better than at your local store. Though I do miss bringing bottles of vanilla back from Mexico. That is way cheaper.

We just wrap ours in the clothes in the suitcase. We have brought many bottles back this way and the only problem we had was one of them had been opened on the cruise and the lid came off and leaked. Otherwise we have probably made it home with about 20 bottles of liquor between 3 cruises. So go for it!

Waiting for my luggage at my home airport last week I noticed a strong smell of booze and assumed a fellow traveler had been indulging during the flight. Suddenly I heard a woman yell "oh sh*t" and I watched as she pulled the dripping remnants of a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue out of her suitcase.

I have no idea how much $ she saved but it couldn't make up for having all your clothes reeking of whiskey and covered in broken glass. Btw, it was packed on one of those cardboard thingies.

I can't see the point in saving a few $ after spending thousands on the trip itself. Now bringing booze onboard is a whole other story ;-)

Archived