Splendor Reviews Check in Chaos

mrmac

Just got off the 11/4 sailing of the Splendor.

We arrived at the Dome around 11:30. (Greater LA public transportation does work sometimes:)) Saw a bunch of people seating in the VIP lounge. We were the second called after entering the VIP. Waited a bit to enter the Dome then to go up the escalator. When we were in the Dome outside checkin was still going on (no idea how many stations were set up) and they were setting up inside checkin. We finished eating lunch around 12:30. At 2 the gangway was full.

That being said. Check in for non-VIP is done in front of the Dome and then people just seem to mill about. I did not see zones but that does not mean they weren't in use. To get into the Dome there are usually four doors for doc check that narrow into two security checkpoints.

On 11/11 we did not get off until almost 11am when there were fewer than 100 pax remaining onboard. There were a few holdups due to drug smuggling and a fight on the gangway.:mad: First call for debarkation was just before 7am for self-assist. No new pax can enter the Dome until all the old ones are gone.

Early checkin starts around 9:30 then people just wait. It does get very crowded.

On a bright note-- Almost all of our food was good, though I was reminded why I avoid Mexican on Carnival. All the MDR food arrived at the correct temp wherever we were seated during ATD. Even burnt the roof of my mouth on two occassions.

Cabins are available to all at 12:30.

FWIW the Monday and Friday mess is only slightly better. The hold up is the bottle neck areas of doc check and security. There are many checkin counters inside.

San Diego was worse as there seem to be only two doc checks to get into the warehouse.

That's what I don't get. The dome is huge inside but they make people wait outside after they check in and wait for their zone to be called?? The If it's after 11am get 'em onboard like all the other lines do.

to me it always seemed like inefficient space planning. I can't remember if Carnival has always had the entire dome, but the frist time I entered it as a cruise passenger I was surpised at how crammed together everything is.

Archived