I might be nuts! but is it exciting to be in rough waters?

plumeria

last march on the Galaxy i was in 1007 (10th deck) and the waves were breaking on the balcony. the woman next door was audibly retching and for the first time in 40 cruises i felt queasy but didnt get sick. another time on Horizon off Cape Hatteras they closed the pools so we went to play bingo in the show lounge...until the bow started leaving the water then thundering down and shaking the entire ship! at that point i wanted to be intimate with my life jacket! :D toally at the other end of the spectrum a few weeks ago on Empress of the Seas i had to look out the window to tell if we were moving or anchored! ;)

I'm thinking of taking Celebrity in Jan to Hawaii and tend to get motion sickness. Although I like a little rolling, I get enough of that from 7.0 earthquakes in Los Angeles!

When are the seas the roughest?

I do enjoy hearing about the large swells and wish I could be as adventurous!

Thanks!

Ally :)

Horrid seas on the Dream in 2003---had to skip Belize.....40 kt winds and 30-40 foot swells oh my.

We kept our tummies full, that helps with seasickness...we felt ill only for a bit till our ears decided to cooperate with our stomachs....then we were fine and really enjoyed being "rocked" to sleep!! Lots of crew and passengers sick but honestly we were ok and watching the waves was awesome!

We were in an owner's suite and those were the only rooms with balconies on the Dream and our butler said to stay off the balcony (doh!) and the outer decks were closed.

This whole thing went on for approximately 24 hours. It was great:D

I might be nuts! but is it exciting to be in rough waters?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we are booked Jan 2, 06 Summit from LA to Hawaii and instead of being scared or worried about rough weather, it kind of excites me ,maybe I am crazy but I am so hyped to be at sea if it is rough I am ready for it, anyone out there enjoy rough weather is it exciting??

Plumeria

I guess I was right, I am not so nuts, or at least not the most nuts LOL

great stories keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plumeria .... We also get "bummed" when the sea is too calm! Totally agree with the post below! :cool:

You're not alone. Our last cruise, I was bummed because it was too calm. It just never felt like a ship on the ocean. Not enough rocking and rolling.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

We were on the Norwegian Crown to Canada/New England last September. Hit 40 foot swells. Timing was terrible. We got to the rough seas immediately after the Chocolate Buffet... I presume you don't need a more graphic description.

As far as I am aware Jerry, it is a real photo and was taken from a coastal rescue helicopter during Hurricane Isabel in 2003.

Phil

I guess I'm in the minority on this thread. I like a ship to be a hotel that moves from one port to another. I guess I might think otherwise if I didn't get seasick (sometimes even with Bonine or the patch).:eek: It gets a bit irritating when that happens.

I grew up on and around the water, and always liked storms, so when I know I am on a vessel, like a modern cruise ship, that can take the action the rougher the better. I've been tossed around a bit on cruises, but still haven't seen any really fun stuff. I missed it by one week on the one cruise I took -- the staff told us that coming back to Baltimore on the cruise before ours, the seas were so rough the props were lifting clear of the water at times. Can't imagine that happening, but wouldn't mind trying it ;)

The sea is the attraction of cruising. If you're not even able to tell you're on a boat, then what's the point? :D

I love a bit of chop.

I consider the rock of the sea "amniotic", i.e. it reminds me of being back in the womb, I think.

My family has lived by and off of the sea for at least seven centuries, so I guess it is in my blood.

Crossed English Channel more time than can count, and ditto the Irish Sea; Always good for a good Roll.

Without a doubt, best was in September 1971 crossing the North Atlantic (NY - Southampton) on MS Europa.

Had to evade a hurricane, but there is only so far you can go north.

We were on deck seven and waves regularly hit the portholes.

Lifelines were strung and we were told not to go outside. We were kids, though and ignored them so we could "skid" on the set decks.

We were idiots!

Still love to watch a big storm.

Hypnotizing.

Went Tuna fishing 60 miles out in 10 ft seas this fall on a 55 ft boat. That was FUN!

Yes, you might be nuts. But so might I, and it is fun to be in rough seas.

Jim

• 1 month later...

On our first cruise we hit the tail end of a hurricane out of Prince Rupert, BC. Since a fishing vessel was in a mayday situation we had to turn around and go assist in the rescue. We turned sideways and blocked the waves so the mega-helicopter could lift the crew off the boat.

It was quite exciting! The SS Universe was a small ship. You could stand in the center and look out both sides of the ship. The ship would rock and you would see only sky out one side and water the other...then vise versa. My DH had to "rescue" several little old ladies who were stumbling and pitching as they tried to walk around. One lady was hanging onto a door as it flapped back and forth. DH had to put her into a chair and tell her to stay.

The worst aspect was so many people were throwing up all over the place. I do not do well around sick people. Bit of advise--Keep your stomach full. The crew put out crackers and sea sick bags. If you don't use the crackers, then you will need the barf bag.

We also had high seas as we crossed the Gulf of Alaska. I thought it was fun. I even dressed as "Barfie the Barf Bag" for the costume party! However,

I admit that I do take Bonine.

we are booked Jan 2, 06 Summit from LA to Hawaii and instead of being scared or worried about rough weather, it kind of excites me ,maybe I am crazy but I am so hyped to be at sea if it is rough I am ready for it, anyone out there enjoy rough weather is it exciting??

Plumeria

I'm with you! Of course I'm not quite right either. I've never experienced any sort of motion sickness. When I went to the Space Academy (Space Camp for big kids) they gave me a reflex test, then they spun me around for a while and gave me the test again, my reflexes improved after being spun. Strange.....yes very.

I've been on only 2 cruises. The first one had swells of about 4' which is nothing compared to some of them! But I loved it. I could be rocked to sleep by that motion, and when I got back home, I could still feel the movement for a few nights that followed.

The 2nd cruise had smooth sailing all the way. I was very disappointed!

In my upcoming cruise (one week to go!) I am in a cabin in the aft of the ship. I am hoping I'll feel a little movement.

Felicia

For :eek: fear of "Be careful what you wish for", I would not mind a bit of rough seas/winds. On my last cruise it was so windy one day it was difficult (yet excitedly fun) to walk on the top decks.

Archived