Do we need passports???

kamsmom

Hello,

We are going to the Mexican Riviera in November and I am wondering if we NEED passports or if our Birth certificate and CA ID's will be ok. Our travel agent says they are recommended but not required. Just wanted to get info from someone who has "been there" Thanks so much!

Erica

see http://travel.state.gov/travel

12/31/05 - travel to Caribbean, Bermuda, Central & South America

12/31/06 - all air/sea to/from Mexico & Canada

12/31/07 - all air/sea/land

We've never had a problem with a certified copy of birth certificate (make sure it has a raised seal), and driver's license, but as a passport is valid for 10 years, we're getting them before our next cruise in October.

You dont NEED them but it sure makes your lifr eaiser if you have one. They will have 2 lines for going through customs, One for passports and one for ID's and Birth Certs. There are very few people who have passports so you will be able to get through the lines much quicker.

Just back from this sailing... We have passports, but you will be able to travel just fine in November with your BC and ID. Don't beleive what they say about seperate lines for passports at customs... Not true!! We did early check in at the Queen Mary where they requested to see proof of citizenship. Didn't need them again until going through customs upon debarking. Remember to take your ID with you into port. Security will check it against your sign and sail card before being allowed back into the ship area. You are going to have such a great time... Hmmmm, one week ago right now I was laying in the sun poolside at Melia San Lucas sipping a very yummy strawberry daquari.

Maybe the Queen Mary doesn't have seperate lines for those with passports and those with Birth Certificates but RCI does. Just got off a cruise and I was the only one in my group with a passport. I sailed through and then had to wait for my group to catch up. So I guess it depends on the cruise line

NCL had separate lines for passport and BC holders. The passport line wasn't really shorter but MUCH faster. The customs agents really prefer dealing with passport holders.

You won't NEED a passport for your upcoming cruise- but the day is coming when US citizens will need them to go pretty much anywhere, even Canada and Mexico. You might as wll beat the rush.

Archived