Jet Boat Excursion in Juneau - Anybody Do this????

ehaas

Which one? Most all of the bigger whale watching boats are jets. Four Seasons and Allen Marine are huge boats and are jets. Larry and Dolphin are all smaller boats and they are jets as well. I'm sure glad I don't have Larry's fuel bill 3 big engines probably uses 50 gallons of gas per hour.

The use of jetboats is kind of a gimmick to say "look no prop's we can't hurt the whales" in reality it's illegal to get that close to the whales anyway.

Dave

From the description, it's probably not the large catamarans of Allen Marine.

"Enjoy this encounter via jet boat as you search the waters for humpback whales! Your adventure begins when you board. Each boat is fully enclosed with a heated cabin, large viewing windows and has an outer deck for viewing Each boat can transport 18 to 30 passengers and is equipped with binoculars and an underwater microphone."

The catamarans hold more than 30.

So, let us know when you get back.

From the description, it's probably not the large catamarans of Allen Marine.

"Enjoy this encounter via jet boat as you search the waters for humpback whales! Your adventure begins when you board. Each boat is fully enclosed with a heated cabin, large viewing windows and has an outer deck for viewing Each boat can transport 18 to 30 passengers and is equipped with binoculars and an underwater microphone."

The catamarans hold more than 30.

So, let us know when you get back.

May be Dolphin.

If Dolphin is a company that sounds correct. It sounds by the replies that keeping warm is not going to be a problem. This is great as some of our group had a concern about this. My sister whom is going with us was wondering if sea sickness is a problem on the smaller boats.

If Dolphin is a company that sounds correct. It sounds by the replies that keeping warm is not going to be a problem. This is great as some of our group had a concern about this. My sister whom is going with us was wondering if sea sickness is a problem on the smaller boats.

You are on the water, certainly seasickness can be a problem. You are asking a question that can't be answered. :) Precautions are the key if prone.

My concern would be how big the outside deck is - you can't get good photos through a window, so I want to be outside except for possibly short warm-up trips inside.

Murray

I would agree, We were out on our boat yesterday and had to stop several times to watch the whales. Everytime, the entire family was out on deck.

The Dolphin Boats are essentially the same as Larry's. If I'm not mistaken they were actually around before Larry.

Personally, my choice would be to use someone like Emerald Seas who only takes 4 passengers or to go with Allen Marine or Four Seasons on the big boats where they have lots of room, lots of deck and it's higher up so you can see better.

Dave

Archived