Setting Up S&S For Child

dshefter

We are traveling in a few weeks on the Dream with our 9 yr old daughter. We would like to give her $50 to spend on things over the course of the cruise like the arcade, gift shop, etc. Will Carnival allow you to set up a Sign & Sail with $50 pre-paid on her own card? Or does she have to be on our account? Any help is appreciated...

We are traveling in a few weeks on the Dream with our 9 yr old daughter. We would like to give her $50 to spend on things over the course of the cruise like the arcade, gift shop, etc. Will Carnival allow you to set up a Sign & Sail with $50 pre-paid on her own card? Or does she have to be on our account? Any help is appreciated...

You can set a spending limit. We do that for our son.

As a parent I would first allow 25 so when they blow thru it in the arcade and are broke you get to give the lecture on money management and budgeting. Then after a tough night of feeling bad you get to do the lecture of ok lets try this again but you have to be responsible.

My boys one would spend it the first day and the other wont spend a penny. But from a young age when we traveled my mom always gave us each a budget with food included. Learned a lot of things about life then. No we never had to starve just got the lecture. Hey she was a CPA. The first time she asked my 3 YO what he wanted for Christmas he asked what's my budget. Now a big family and friends joke.

you can set it up'with a 50 bucks cash but if she goes over you are still responsible

for her account.

yes, it is possible to go over. sometimes the amount just spent does not hit the account instantly....so she goes and buys a plate of straberries and 20 minutes later goes to the arcade... and 20 minutes after that hits the store...

I gave my boys a spending limit of 20 per day and once that was gone they needed to find other things to do.. My oldest Son actually came home with money and my younger one well he went thru his 20 a day lol.. But its very easy and i have never had a problem with them being able to go over there limit...

On our first cruise, DD was 9 and she got 1/3 of our OBC, which was $50. She spent the $50 in the arcade after about 5 days of our 8 day cruise. Last time, she was 13 and she was just added to our S&S account linked to our card and told to be responsible and make good choices. She spent about $25. I was proud of her. I was worried about her spending a couple hundred. She said she didn't want to ruin it for the next cruise.

Thanks for the assistance. Yes, we are trying to teach our daughter about money management. She just thinks money is endless...LOL.

Our 9yr old is the SAME! We plan on doing the limit thing as well but I have heard numerous times that when they go over, it goes onto your card. Not the end of the world but I'd love it to just completely STOP so she would get a rude awakening when it ran out.

Archived