French Riviera--Walk or tour?

msmeltz

We will be on the Oceania Riviera in June stopping at Monte Carlo, Cannes, St-Tropez and Provence.

Would like info on which of these ports to take private tours and which have nice little towns that are within walking distance of the ship and we could explore on our own.

We will be on the Oceania Riviera in June stopping at Monte Carlo, Cannes, St-Tropez and Provence.

Would like info on which of these ports to take private tours and which have nice little towns that are within walking distance of the ship and we could explore on our own.

If your read pages on this board you will find a wealth of information on all these ports....please note however Provence is an area not a port so you can look to see what area you will stop in and go from there.MC/Monaco is very doable on your won and there is info here re the tourist train etc....lots of inof on what you can do either staying out or going out from port for a day trip...how to by bus,train or booking a tour from all your stops.

the Provence port is Marseille.

I was just trying to find out which of the 3 stops we would be able to walk to and which we should take the tours. We are seniors and don't want to do too much walking......and don't want to do 3 days of touring the area.

I was just trying to find out which of the 3 stops we would be able to walk to and which we should take the tours. We are seniors and don't want to do too much walking......and don't want to do 3 days of touring the area.

Well then, I would plan to do a tour out of marselle..perhpas to Avignon or le Baux,but you can read on the board what people do when they stay in port there. Monaco/MC I woujld rifde the train around see what you want and then you can always have nice luncheon, and go back to the ship. Ditto for Cannes,and St.T if there is nothing you want to see in the area.You can Google each area to see what's there in case they offer something you may want to see.

Although we spend a lot of time helping independent travelers (our favorite way to go anywhere) we have learned to quickly backoff of our pro independent travel soapbox when we see folks saying they (do not want to do much walking). In these cases we quickly recommend taking private or even cruise line excursions (personally hate this form of travel) that specifically require less walking.

Hank

P.S. We are also "seniors" but will routinely walk over 5 miles on many port days. This is a great way to stay in some kind of decent physical shape and limit weight gain on cruises :)

Archived