Handicapped cabin

glln

Hi,

My Mom is handicapped and would like to go on a Princess cruise. Not sure where yet , but I am curious about the handicapped cabins. Are any of them balcony? Do they have handrails in the bathroom? I have never seen one on board and am wondering the size difference over a regular cabin

Thanks,

Lynne

We use HC cabins to accomdate my wife's wheel chair.

On most of the ships there are baloncy HC cabins, yes. Varies from ship to ship. On the newer ones they are starting to do more 50/50, inside & balcony. Usually a mini-suite in there, but normally no full suites are HC.

Usually they are between 50-100% larger. ie. on the Dawn, our cabin was the size of two cabins combined.

Roll in bathrooms are well laid out. Very large, lots of grab bars, fold down seat in the shower. Shower is about 4'x4' to accomdate a w/c. No lip on the shower area, just an all-around drain set into the floor that keeps water IN the shower area, most of the time!

Other questions?

Be sure if you get a handicapped cabin you get a doctor's note and then tell your TA to specify to Princess that there are to "be no changes". We booked a handicapped cabin for my Mom who uses a wheel chair, six months prior to cruise. Had a doctor's note but not sure TA sent a copy to Princess.

Three days before the cruise and not known by us until we were on the cruise ship, they had pulled Mom out of the handicapped room and put her into a standard inside cabin. This made for a difficult trip for her. Our cruise was over six weeks ago and our TA is still trying to find out how this could have happened.

Carol

Archived