First Single Cruise Dec 30th Carnival Valor

janjac

This is my first cruise as a single and thus I am somewhat warry. Any feedback and advice will be appreciated. Thanks

No worries, I am single too going on the same cruise, traveling with my 12 year old, but he is always off with kids....join our roll call at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1574555...

....we plan on meeting up :D

I sailed solo(not sure if you meant solo cruiser or you're just single) on the Freedom and loved the freedom of doing whatever whenever and I met a LOT of people. You'll have fun. I personally didn't care for the "singles table" they assigned me and I've heard others comment on this before so, I'm not sure about requesting a singles table. They'll probably put you at one anyway if you've booked solo and you might just have a great group. Typically, I love getting to know people at dinner unless they want to convert me in some way(and I did have someone tell me on the Glory that it's just aweful I'm an atheist). I'm quite open minded so when I say my table mates were strange...I mean strange.

I have sailed many times as a solo cruiser. Don't focus on going solo. Nothing you can do about it; however, cruises are perfect for solo cruiser because it give you great opportunities to meet people vs doing a land hotel vacation. Do your homework and learn everything about the ship and the ports of call and make a list of things your want to do and focus on that. Make sure you are booked on traditional late seating at large table. Your table mates will become great dining companions. If you don't like your table mate (very rare) ask the Maitr'd to change your table which is never a problem. Also get involved in your sailing roll call here in Cruisecritic. Making acquaintances prior to the cruise is a great way to start your cruises. Just go with a positive attitude and open mind. Once onboard be friendly and smile. Don't be afraid to let people know you are cruising solo and if you can join them. Cruises are very social and people want to make new friends. If you don't get a positive response cut your losses and move on. The best thing about cruising solo is you can do what you want; when you want. You can come and go as you please. You will have some alone time; that normal so bring things to keep you occupied like a good book, Ipad, Ipod, magazines, etc. Lastly get out of your cabin and get involve with some of the ship's organized activities. Yes, it means getting out of your comfort zone, but it's a great way to break the ice and meet people especially if you are shy. Booking the ship's organized shore tours is also a great way to meet people since you are all traveling as a group.

Thanks for the information. I have cruised many many times but this is first time alone as I am now a widower. This is indeed a new adventure. My nephew has cruised many times as a single and his advice is very close to yours. Thanks again.

This is my first cruise as a single and thus I am somewhat warry. Any feedback and advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Solo cruising is the best!! I just got back from sailing 9 days solo and it was by far one of my best cruises and longest cruising solo. Check out my "Live" cruise report from my trip.

My solo "Live" cruise report

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734869

Go into the trip with an open mind, join your roll call and before you know it you'll have some new shipboard friends. During my cruise I did anytime dining but ended up sitting with people I had met my first night on my second leg of the cruise a few times. We had a blast throughout the cruise.

I'm cruising again in 13 days but won't be solo this trip, but know I'm going to miss it.

Also check out the solo board which is located at the below link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Have a great cruise.

Archived