Magic Grand Cayman Tender - Recent Experiences?

scotlady

Hi,

I have read a few posts here from people who said they waited up to two hours for a tender at Grand Cayman.

We have a group of 12 people, including one older couple with mobility problems, who need to make an 8 am NON-carnival excursion. I booked FTTF for DH & myself, but the others in the group didn't want to, so that won't help us.

Was wondering if people were still experiencing long tender waits now that it is no longer summer season?

Ship docks at 7 am - do you think we need to get in line around 6:30 or so? Also, I remember reading one post that said ALL people in the group have to be in line? Just wondering about the elderly couple, and their ability to stand for an hour more.

We were on the Magic in September and had an early non-Carnival excursion as well. We met at the designated spot on deck 5 as instructed in the Fun Times approx 15 minutes before tenders were supposed to begin running and were taken straight to the tender - no line at all. We actually had to wait for the boat to fill before we left. We got to the pier so early we had time to shop before our excursion, hope it goes as smoothly for you as it did for us.

my experience with grand cayman- we had to present ourselves at the show lounge and get tickets-- get seated in a row., THey take the people off row by row--

with your older people with mobilty problems. will they be able to go down the steps and into the tender

Tendering (off and back on the ship) was the worst part of our port stop at Grand Cayman...love the island. It took us a solid two hours to get off as well (no excursion). I made the mistake of renting a car and heading to Rum Point...we had so little time to enjoy our time there. Though it gave us an excuse to head back for a week on GC a couple of years later. :)

edit... I couldn't remember which ship we were on when visiting GC...it was on our only NCL cruise, so not all that relevant to the experience with Carnival.

Tendering (off and back on the ship) was the worst part of our port stop at Grand Cayman...love the island. It took us a solid two hours to get off as well (no excursion). I made the mistake of renting a car and heading to Rum Point...we had so little time to enjoy our time there. Though it gave us an excuse to head back for a week on GC a couple of years later. :)

edit... I couldn't remember which ship we were on when visiting GC...it was on our only NCL cruise, so not all that relevant to the experience with Carnival.

yikes, everything I read tells me to take an excursion that includes Rum Point.

was it worth it though?

We did a Nativeway tour that included reef, rays, and rum point..our tour included choice of lunch..the fried fish sandwich was phenomenal!

it was awesome because we were the only 6 on the boat..compared to 50 or 60 on other both ship sponsored and non sponsored tours!

We showed our email to the Guest services desk..they made sure we were on the second tender to get over to the port ( 1st one was filled with two weddings) ..easy peasy.

Rum point is quiet..not a beach like 7 mile at all..kind of rough getting into the water, too...but we were in it for the snorkeling anyway!

here's a picture of rum point:

100_2372_zpsd40c09b6.jpg

Well, doesn't sound like most people are having any problems.

Crazy4Koko - it sounds like guest services helped you get an early tender, even though it was a non-carnival excursion? Will they do that?

And ours is a private catamaran as well - just the 12 of us. Really looking forward to it!

Regarding the older couple - I think they can do it - they'll just be slow. I was more worried about them having to stand in line and wait for the boarding, but doesn't sound like that's an issue.

Well, doesn't sound like most people are having any problems.

Crazy4Koko - it sounds like guest services helped you get an early tender, even though it was a non-carnival excursion? Will they do that?

And ours is a private catamaran as well - just the 12 of us. Really looking forward to it!

Regarding the older couple - I think they can do it - they'll just be slow. I was more worried about them having to stand in line and wait for the boarding, but doesn't sound like that's an issue.

Yes, guest services was very helpful. we brought proof of our reservation and they made sure we got on one of the first boats. They read the email, saw it was not one of theirs, and went out of their way anyway. We had two first time cruisers on a private horseback ride excursion.. they got on the very first tender of the day. Guest services was VERY helpful..just be sure to go down early.

Archived