BATHS- level of physical difficulty?

tampabrat22

We will be going to Tortola in a few weeks, would love to see the Baths but am concerned about the difficulty in getting there. I have read that there is a long steep trail that leads down (and back up) to get to the beach area.

My mother is disabled, has back issues can not stand for really long periods of time but she can climb stairs and such. She has to go slow and can only do a maybe 3 flights max going up. Would getting down to the beach area at the Baths be likely?

Going into the cave areas is not an issue, we wont be doing that (due to her limitations and my claustrophobia) but the rest of our group would love it. We just dont want to bother going if it will be too difficult. And tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

My first question is how long are you in port? If you are able to take the Patouche catamaran you could enjoy a beautiful sail directly to the Baths and take a dinghy into shore. Doesn't get any easier than that and Patouche is very highly-rated. You can contact Joe at the e-mail address on the patouche.com site. He has a rep stationed at the Road Town cruise pier.

If that isn't an option because you're not in port long enough the path from the Top of the Baths down to the Baths is uneven and a bit of a walk, just can't say how your mom will do, especially on the return trip up.

My first question is how long are you in port? If you are able to take the Patouche catamaran you could enjoy a beautiful sail directly to the Baths and take a dinghy into shore. Doesn't get any easier than that and Patouche is very highly-rated. You can contact Joe at the e-mail address on the patouche.com site. He has a rep stationed at the Road Town cruise pier.

If that isn't an option because you're not in port long enough the path from the Top of the Baths down to the Baths is uneven and a bit of a walk, just can't say how your mom will do, especially on the return trip up.

Thanks for the advice. I will try contact the company you mentioned, and if we can't get a better idea of how rough the terrain is we will just skip it and find something else to do. Either way we will have a good time. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will try contact the company you mentioned, and if we can't get a better idea of how rough the terrain is we will just skip it and find something else to do. Either way we will have a good time. :)

We've been on Patouche and it's great when you can get one of theirs that meshes with your time in port. PROBLEM: You would need to get your mother into the dinghy and off which probably wouldn't be easy.

The other options .... Having to walk to The Baths on that steep rocky path would so not work for her.

:) Happily, you have other great things to do all of you would enjoy in Tortola!

LuLu

~~~~

Your mom would probably be ok with the path down and back up from your description. She could stop if she needed a rest.

If it were us and Patouche wasn't available I would taxi to the Top of the Baths and check the walk down (one path is easier than the other if I remember right). If you decide it's not a good idea to try it then have the driver take you to Savannah Bay, that's a gorgeous beach and a nice quieter spot to enjoy. You could then go to the MineShaft Cafe and enjoy the spectacular, panoramic views and lunch. Their signature drink is the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!". Just a great spot to enjoy part of your day. Everything is so close together in the Valley that you have many options with a short time there. Just want you to know that although the Baths are a great place to experience there are other areas on VG that are also worth visiting if you don't make it to the Baths.

Many boats will also drop you in Devils Bay where you can get off in ankle deep water, just not sure with Joe without asking him.

Good luck, if you decide to stay on Tortola that's a beautiful island for a tour, and some of the beaches are beautiful there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

if your mom has back problems and your worried about the walk down the steps, she will never make it through the rock formations which is really the reason to go there. The other beach suggested would be more appropriate, or going to a beach on tortola.

We will be going to Tortola in a few weeks, would love to see the Baths but am concerned about the difficulty in getting there. I have read that there is a long steep trail that leads down (and back up) to get to the beach area.

My mother is disabled, has back issues can not stand for really long periods of time but she can climb stairs and such. She has to go slow and can only do a maybe 3 flights max going up. Would getting down to the beach area at the Baths be likely?

Did you watch you tube videos? They might help you make your decision.

Archived