Colon to panama city as independent

tine-tine

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to travel from Colon to Panama City by bus/train/taxi as alternative to ship. We are on a b2b and trying to keep our costs down, we are happy in other ports to do our own thing with travel arrangements but know little and about local transport in this area. We have previously transited the Canal so just want a look around PC if that was doable, otherwise we will remain on ship, just don't want to do that if we will be missing wonderful Architecture, which I love. We are travelling with Celebrity in January. Any suggestions?

Bus is possible, but I don't think it is what you are looking for in this case. Bus service is rather rudimentary and not located or scheduled so the occasional tourist could take advantage of. Train is a no go as well, times for regular service will not work for you when the ship is in port besides during your stay in port the train's assets are basically monopolized by the ship. That leaves taxi... they are available at the port and I would assume you could arrange for an all day usage to take you to and around Panama City and return to the ship. Have no idea of what that would cost, but rest assured it is negotiable. Your cabbie's command of English can range widely.

The only other thing would be to book an independent tour, there are a few mentioned on this board. One that has received more positive reviews than negative is My Friend Mario, give them a look up on the web. I have not used them or recommending.... just a starting point. No matter which tour operator you find, I think it may be better than taxi roulette at the pier.

Just bear in mind that a trip to Panama City will take you some distance from the ship and some of the roads, particularly in PC are prone to congestion. Just factor that into the amount of time you have for sightseeing and travel time.

Archived