Oceania's Utilization Maximization

S O B

Embarking Regatta Tuesday out of Miami on our first O cruise and I've just been amazed at the job they do at Oceania in the days and weeks leading up to a cruise date to fill the ships and generate maximum revenue out of it.

I've been checking our cruise on the website almost daily since the final payment date and the room categories constantly change between available, wait list and sold out. Early on, there was much available in the upper categories: then we were offered a great upsell offer and upgraded from C2 to A1. Heard on our roll call this was happening with others as well. Soon there were lower priced rooms to sell and fill. It went back and forth for a while.

Yesterday, six days before sailing, it finally showed all categories were wait listed. Hoorah for Oceania--they finally sold out the cruise! Now today I see that once again there are rooms available in the C1 & F categories.

I'm sure that by Tuesday morning those will all be sold too. I can't even imagine what the staff must have to do to get the most out of their resources every time a ship sets off. Mind boggling. FDR must have some pretty good people doing it or else he has a big whip.

Embarking Regatta Tuesday out of Miami on our first O cruise and I've just been amazed at the job they do at Oceania in the days and weeks leading up to a cruise date to fill the ships and generate maximum revenue out of it.

I've been checking our cruise on the website almost daily since the final payment date and the room categories constantly change between available, wait list and sold out. Early on, there was much available in the upper categories: then we were offered a great upsell offer and upgraded from C2 to A1. Heard on our roll call this was happening with others as well. Soon there were lower priced rooms to sell and fill. It went back and forth for a while.

Yesterday, six days before sailing, it finally showed all categories were wait listed. Hoorah for Oceania--they finally sold out the cruise! Now today I see that once again there are rooms available in the C1 & F categories.

I'm sure that by Tuesday morning those will all be sold too. I can't even imagine what the staff must have to do to get the most out of their resources every time a ship sets off. Mind boggling. FDR must have some pretty good people doing it or else he has a big whip.

Hate to burst your bubble SOB, but, what you are seeing is typical of ALL cruise ships, ALL airlines, ALL hotels, etc. Yes it is a big job to maximize revenue and occupancy but, it is a typical job in these types of industries and FDR doesn't need a big whip, this is what these people and thousands of other are hired to do and most companies do it well just like Oceania does. The only way companies in the hospitality arena make money is to maximize occupancy avoiding empty cabins, room, seats, etc. and the people you are talking about are the professionals who do that and am sure they number in the thousands or more.

Archived