Key West Suggestions

dresterj

My partner and I planned a short cruise to get away from the cold during the MLK holiday weekend. However, we have broken up after 3 years and, fortunately or unfortunately, I got the cruises (this one and another in May 2013) in the separation.

Anyhow, I have never been to Key West and would like to not spend this port on the ship. Please, provide any suggestions of things to do that will make this an awesome stop for a single guy in his mid-30s. I generally like more active or sight-seeing activities over laying out at a beach.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get off the ship and walk around. You will be in the downtown area near duval already. There are all sorts of colorful places for free. Also there is a shipwreck museum and the little White House. There are art galleries. You can tour resorts and bed and breakfast places by just stopping in and inquiring. The marina is full of water sports. Great restaurants and bars. The beaches are on the other side of the island. You could walk or take a taxi to this Southern Most point for a photo op.

When we went to Key West on our first cruise, we were among the first passengers off the ship - we were able to do everything we wanted just by walking around. If you get to the port in the morning - definitely have breakfast at Blue Heaven http://blueheavenkw.com/.

The southernmost point buoy is a fun sightseeing thing too. It's almost a "must do" type of thing just so that you can say "I've been there!"

If you're into history or politics, the Truman White House is a great tour http://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/

Rent a bicycle for a few hours and ride through the historic neighborhoods with stops at the Hemingway Home or the Truman Little White House and the Southernmost Point.

For lunch, try:

El Siboney (cuban)

The idea is to get a feel for Key West, because you will almost certainly want to come back in the future for a longer visit.

You should stop by the Key Lime Pie shop - it is AMAZING when freshly made with real key limes.

I would agree with renting a bike, or just walking around. The entire island is gorgeous. White Street Pier is pretty cool, we used to fish from there when I was a kid. Parasailing is amazing there too, the water is breath taking, and we always saw dolphins swimming below us when we did it.

Duval street, Hemingway House, Sloppy Joe's is a great place for food and history, and in the afternoons Mallory Square is full of street performers.

Depending on how much time you have, you could take a trip out to Fort Jefferson and snorkel. It's GORGEOUS there.

I used to visit the island for a month every summer, it's still one of my favorite places!

You should stop by the Key Lime Pie shop - it is AMAZING when freshly made with real key limes.

I would agree with renting a bike, or just walking around. The entire island is gorgeous. White Street Pier is pretty cool, we used to fish from there when I was a kid. Parasailing is amazing there too, the water is breath taking, and we always saw dolphins swimming below us when we did it.

Duval street, Hemingway House, Sloppy Joe's is a great place for food and history, and in the afternoons Mallory Square is full of street performers.

Depending on how much time you have, you could take a trip out to Fort Jefferson and snorkel. It's GORGEOUS there.

I used to visit the island for a month every summer, it's still one of my favorite places!

Thanks for recommending the Key Lime Shop. I LOVE key lime pie and did not know this place existed. I will definitely add it to my list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for recommending the Key Lime Shop. I LOVE key lime pie and did not know this place existed. I will definitely add it to my list.

Oh, they make nearly everything with key lime, cookies, suckers, etc. That was always our first stop on the island before going to our rent house!

For lunch, try:

El Siboney (cuban).

Definitely true, I ate there many times and it's good. Especially don't miss it if you aren't planning to arrive early in S FLa or stay after, and have Cuban food there. If you're spending any time in Miami, you should eat at Versailles. Not the best food in town, but very good. And a model of tackiness!!

Having been to Key West many times; its sort of a very laid back, but very walkable city. Once you get off the ship head to Duval Street and walk east from the Caribbean side (Mallory Square) to the Atlantic side and to the southern most point in the US. Lots of shops/restaurants on Duval and about half way down you'd hit some of the gay bar like the Bourbon Pub and Club 801. Certainly you want to go to the Hemingway House and maybe do the Conch siteseeing train. Get yourself a good map and just explore.

Archived