What is a 2 day experience Panama Canal

jackieo

We did the canal many many years ago and are now looking to do it again with family. Last time we simply did a day transit - what is the difference please

Thanks

Jackie

A two day experience means that you spend one day transiting the canal and one day anchored near Fuerto Amador. This allows passengers to take tours of Panama City , the Canal from shore and other tours.

In my opinion the "2-Day Panama" itinerary is the best itinerary out there! You do a full Canal transit, PLUS you get a day in Panama to actually see something of the country. Comparing just going through the Canal, with the "2-Day Panama" itinerary would be a little like taking the magical sail-in in to Venice . . . or Sydney . . . or New York . . . turning around and leaving without ever setting foot in the country or the city. The ship anchors off "Fuerte Amador" which is actually the Amador Peninsula part of Panama City. From there you can visit THREE Panama Cities: the remains of the original 1500's city, "the richest city in the world" and today a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Casco Viejo or old Colonial City, or today's modern, sky-scraper-filled boom city. There are two Panama Canal Museums and there is now a Hop On Hop Off bus that makes getting around the city easy for tourists. There are trips to the Embera Indian Villages and all kinds of eco tours. Particularly with your family, it would be an amazing trip.

Regards, Richard

We did the 2 day itinerary in Sept/Oct. It is a great experience. In many ways Panama reminds my of Alaska-whereI live-with different vegetation and a lot hotter.

I did the Embara village tour, which takes you from a large metropolis to a remote tiny village in the san of a couple of hours.

It was amazing-and only possible because we stayed the extra day.

In many ways Panama reminds my of Alaska-whereI live-with different vegetation and a lot hotter.

I LOVE IT! And our days our pretty much the same length year round! 9 degrees vs 60 degrees. I remember staying in the "suite" in a cheap roadside hotel near Talqeetna (sp?) called "Latitude 66" or something. The "suite" turned out to be an old apartment above the local road house. No curtains or shades. At 2 AM the sun was streaming into the windows.

Different adventures, but, except for the temperature, vegetation and length of days - neat adventures, exceptional people many of whom have different values and most of whom have a real appreciation for the nature around them.

Regards, Richard

I LOVE IT! And our days our pretty much the same length year round! 9 degrees vs 60 degrees. I remember staying in the "suite" in a cheap roadside hotel near Talqeetna (sp?) called "Latitude 66" or something. The "suite" turned out to be an old apartment above the local road house. No curtains or shades. At 2 AM the sun was streaming into the windows.

Different adventures, but, except for the temperature, vegetation and length of days - neat adventures, exceptional people many of whom have different values and most of whom have a real appreciation for the nature around them.

Regards, Richard

I thought you would appreciate that comment. When we were "cursing" in our canoe up river to the Embara village there was a few times in the river leading to the village, I could swear looked just like some of the streams I have fished in in Alaska. It was not quite what I had expected the jungle to be.

I had secretly wanted to experience a "jungle" rain because I had seen so many scenes of rain in movies and read about it in books that I want to see what it would really be like. Well, I had hoped I would experience it from a covered deck sitting in a nice lounge chair. NOT!

OK, we get in the canoes and our tour guide gives us these little packs with ponchos in them to keep us dry from the boat spray-I put mine in a pocket. I was wearing mu $3.00 straw hat I gout in Costa Rica. Anyway we were racing down this big lake when it started to rain. SO I got to experience jungle rain the hard way-sitting in a dugout canoe -it was at least 1/2 an hour -if not more-to the village-raining all the way. It rained after we got there and were under cover in the main hut. It did stop for a while, but started again when we left (this time I had my poncho on!).

What I learned is that jungle rain is no different from Alaska rain-only a lot warmer.

That trip could not have been better I really felt like I was one of the old time explorers-making my way through the jungle rain and all.

That's just one of the things the 2 day experience gives you.!

Regards,

Mike

Archived