Reasonable and safe to take a taxi tour in Panama City?

Cafabi

We are arriving at Fuerte Amador on the Coral Princess Sunday, Dec. 23. We are riding the train from 10:00-2:30. There is a train buff in our party of 3, so this part is non-negotiable.

Afterwards, I really want to see some sights in the city like Panama Viejo, Casco Viejo, churches, and other things that I've yet to research. Would it be safe to take a taxi tour to these places? I found this thread from 2 and a half years ago and it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197239

Does anyone know if this information still current? (Price, ease of simply hailing, etc.) What time would we need to head back to the tender to give us zero chance of being left? The ship is in port until 6:00. Thanks.

It kind of depends where you are starting off from on the Panama City portion of the tour at 2:30 end of the the train tour. The ship in port until 6... that would mean last tender at 5:30?? If they take you all the way back to Ft. Amador, you could probably get a cab and do the Casco Viejo and maybe include a drive by of the El Carmen Church if time is on your side. Getting out to Old Panama I think maybe stretching it a bit. In any event you really won't have much time and Panama City is very prone to traffic snarls.... allow plenty of time. Is there any way your party could agree to part company, at least temporarily? Not to sell the train short, it's great but it truly is more up the train buff's alley....I'm sure they would not want to miss a chance to ride the fastest transcontinental railroad. Sounds like you would be happier with a City tour, if you could work that out.

I did not go through the whole thread you linked, but overall the info is accurate with the exception of the $10/hr cab.... I think that is a little on the lite side now-a-days. Maybe $20+??

Panama is reasonably safe for what you would like to do... just take normal precautions. Where the tourists are, there should be some cabs available.

You may also want to consider that Panama City now has a hop on hop off bus, details which you can find via Google, that takes you to the prime sites in the city. With all the construction (buildings, new sewer, subway, overpasses) Panama City is pretty ripped up so it takes a while to get around town. There is construction everywhere. Taxi per hour around $25. Obviously gas has gone up since 2010 (post you reference) and Panama is in a major economic boom, uses the US $ which has become worth less, and there has been the inflation that comes with an economic boom.

Regards, Richard

Thanks for the replies! I did look into the hop-on bus, but really don't want to spend a minute waiting for it when I could be sightseeing. I do want to stay with the group and ride the train. Would we be better off time and traffic-wise if we took a taxi from the train station rather than Ft. Amador? Is traffic/construction any lighter on a Sunday?

You both seem to be the go-to guys for Panama and I really appreciate you sharing your expertise!

If you could pick up a cab at the train depot on the Pacific side you would save time getting down to Casco Viejo. By not having to return to your starting point in Ft. Amador you could save a good half hour to 45 minutes. Now for another but..... In the past the train trip normally would be one way by train and the other way by bus. Sometimes depending on the number of people they have doing the train excursion as well as where the railroad needs to place their equipment, they have also do a round trip on the train excursion. I don't know if there is anyway to tell in advance what your excursion would be doing. Another thing which just happened to me while I was on an excursion in Costa Rica. We were returning near the end of the tour and several passengers wanted to be let off at an intermediate stop... the guide said they were not permitted to do that and were required to return the passengers to the starting point. First time I have run into that situation... I have no idea whether it was a local, insurance/ship requirement or if it would be a problem on your tour.

I would think traffic would be less of an issue on Sunday. Thanks for the "go-to" compliment... I'm always glad to share... I lived there for many years, but not now. On the other hand Richard in Panama lives there presently so he may have bit more up to the minute feel for all things Panama. Hope all the pieces come together!

I don't know if there is anyway to tell in advance what your excursion would be doing. !

That is one problem--I don't know if it will be bus ride out, bus ride back, or no bus ride. The bus is supposed to stop at the "Administration Building" for a photo op. This does not appear to be at the locks, which I was hoping to see up close. How would a taxi ride to the Miraflores Locks visitor center compare time and costwise with a trip to Casco Viejo? Would it be difficult to get a cab back (or would they wait?) Let's assume we were having to begin at Ft. Amador. Just trying to plan for different contingencies. Thanks in advance!

BTW, Richard, I bought your book.

That is one problem--I don't know if it will be bus ride out, bus ride back, or no bus ride. The bus is supposed to stop at the "Administration Building" for a photo op. This does not appear to be at the locks, which I was hoping to see up close. How would a taxi ride to the Miraflores Locks visitor center compare time and costwise with a trip to Casco Viejo? Would it be difficult to get a cab back (or would they wait?) Let's assume we were having to begin at Ft. Amador. Just trying to plan for different contingencies. Thanks in advance!

BTW, Richard, I bought your book.

The one way bus is to maximize revenue from the train from ships. Once in a while, if there is only one ship that day (Panama City and Colon) they do a round trip. I'd plan on being flexible. Frankly nothing compares to actually going through the Canal, which you will do. The Miraflores Locks visitor center is more for the folks who can't or aren't actually going through the Canal. [A little like going to the airport to watch the planes take off vs. getting on the plane and going somewhere!] If it were me, I'd skip Miraflores [you can wave as you go by on the ship at all the folks who wish THEY were on the ship] and go to Casco Viejo. Although Casco Viejo is all ripped up for restoration, it is interesting. If you get a chance go in the church to see the golden altar, go to the Transoceanic Canal Museum [better I think than the one at Miraflores], and try and get into the Opera House. Plus being Sunday, but all of Panama City is ripped up with massive construction projects. Cabs are reliable and the drivers know there way around the construction. Casco Viejo is about a 30-60 minute drive from Amador, just depending on traffic. If I were spending money on a Canal cruise I think the last thing I'd worry about was finding the "cheapest" everything! You're paying a bundle, so don't nickle and dime just pay what it costs. Tell the cab what you want, when you need to be back to the ship, and settle on how long it will take and how much per hour. Figure $25-30 an hour. Is 6PM sailing time, back on board, or the time when the last tender leaves back to the ship?

Enjoy the book! Let me know what you think!

Regards, Richard

Is 6PM sailing time, back on board, or the time when the last tender leaves back to the ship?

I am guessing that it is sailing time. (I have only tendered once, a long time ago, and not on this cruiseline or in this port.) I got the "6:00" from this http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?itinCode=TTC141&voyageCode=6238&resType=C

I definitely don't want to get left behind, like I almost did thanks to a rogue taxi driver in St. Maarten once.

I agree completely about priorities. Unless someone can shed some light on tender times, I will find out the day of and do as much of Casco Viejo as I can. Thanks for the insight/opinions.

Archived