Princess or Celebrity with Kids?

a1plumbing

My husband and I are thinking about taking a cruise with our children ages 8, 9 and 11. It will be the first cruise for all of us. We really want to go round trip from San Francisco since we live in the bay area.

We are looking into booking either Princess or Celebrity because they are the only two lines we know of doing roundtrips from San Francisco. Are there any others?

Can anybody recommend which line would be the best for our family based on the below criteria:

1) Are the kid's programs equal on both cruiselines or is one better?

2) We are both rather shy and would probably be uncomfortable being seated with strangers. It is difficult to get a table just for 5? We know that Princess has more alternative dining options and that does appeal to us.

3) What about activities? Do both lines offer a similar variety of activities? We are the type that would much prefer dinner at Applebee's followed by an evening at the movies over a 5-star restaurant and opera. Is one line's entertainment more suited for us than the other?

4) We are both light social drinkers, and although we are not prudes, we don't enjoy being around alot of heavy drinking and partying. Based on what I have read so far, it doesn't seem like this is a problem on either Princess or Celebrity. Can anybody confirm?

I stumbled upon this website a few days ago and so far have learned alot! I would appreciate any help that you experts could give on choosing the right cruise for our family. Thanks in advance!

I have never been on Celebrity but I can confirm that you won't see out of control partying on Princess just people having a good time. I too am not a heavy drinker so I did not hang out at the bars. I love Princess and the Personal Choice dining so with your kids I would give the edge to that so you can just go when everyone is ready and walk in and ask for a table for five. That way you don't have to sit with others. If you don't like the fine dining you can always eat at the buffet or burgers and pizza by the pool. I have no experience about the kids programs but the ships do show movies and some of the Princess ships have the big outdoor Movie Screen called Movies under the Stars like going the the drives in where you snuggle under a blanket in a lounge chair eating popcorn and soda and candy So Fun!. One ship is the Caribbean Princess, but that only sails out of Ft. Lauderdale and I can't remember the other one. I'm not sure which Princess ship you have out of the Bay area, but any Princess ship you go on you will love it. The decor and service are the best. I think Celebrity might be a bit more classy.

Whichever you chose. Have a wonderful time and I bet you will become addicted to cruising and to this website.:D

Sounds like Princess would be a better choice than Celebrity. You have personal choice dining on Princess while Celebrity can be a little more upscale in terms of dining. I also think Princess has the edge in kids programs.

Archived