New York Times Essay on the Riviera

harryw

[quote name='titong']Don,

With all due respect, things that may be trivial to some people are not trivial to others. For some reason, it really bothers me that I am paying thousands of dollars to take these Oceania cruises, and here comes some travel writer who it looks like is given a free upper class cabin-and possibly free first class airfare to write a puff article. In spite of the great food on Oceania, it really makes me consider whether I want to continue to give Oceania my business. But, hey to each his own. I would also like to add that you really help a lot of people on this forum. You really give some good answers to many of the posters.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect every cruise line gives trips to writers so maybe a land trip would be better for you?? I agree this is a ridiculous thread and I for one am through reading it..I really thought I might get some good insight here but I was incorrect..
Jancruz1

[quote name='Jancruz']With all due respect every cruise line gives trips to writers so maybe a land trip would be better for you?? I agree this is a ridiculous thread and I for one am through reading it..I really thought I might get some good insight here but I was incorrect..
Jancruz1[/QUOTE]

It's not a ridiculous thread. It's an informative thread. It certainly was for me. Jim and Stan informed me that this happens all the time in the travel industry. If you were in corporate it would have been not allowed. It is still no reason to not allow others to voice their opinion.

[quote name='TERRIER1']...It is still no reason to not allow others to voice their opinion.[/quote]
Expressing an opinion is exactly what I did. You didn't like it and are treating me the way you don't want me to treat others? Is there not a place for my opinion, also? I named no one, just voiced a heart-felt thought. I called no one names; if anyone feels guilt, it's on their own shoulders.

[quote name='hondorner']Which is exactly what I did. You didn't like it and are treating me the way you don't want me to treat others? Is there not a place for my opinion, also? I named no one, just voiced a heart-felt thought.[/QUOTE]

You are more than welcome to your opinion and I have valued your input on numerous threads but please don't call people "dumb".

[quote name='hondorner']Expressing an opinion is exactly what I did. You didn't like it and are treating me the way you don't want me to treat others? Is there not a place for my opinion, also? I named no one, just voiced a heart-felt thought. I called no one names; if anyone feels guilt, it's on their own shoulders.[/quote]

No, you did not specifically name anyone-but you strongly implied that those whose views you did not agree with on this thread were "trolls." Name calling may very well violate the terms of agreement for this forum. If you think that certain people are "trolls," you should take it up with the forum moderators. I don't see how anyone posting on this thread comes anywhere near being a "troll."

- I meant that being a guest speaker is a good gig - it's not a time intensive job and you get to enjoy the cruise..although I don't know if guest speakers get a free cruise or just a discount.

- By the way, check out reader's comments at the end of Ephron's essay. So far, they are very civil.

Harry

[quote name='harryw']- I meant that being a guest speaker is a good gig - it's not a time intensive job and you get to enjoy the cruise..although I don't know if guest speakers get a free cruise or just a discount.

- By the way, check out reader's comments at the end of Ephron's essay. So far, they are very civil.

Harry[/quote]

I have been on Crystal cruises where they have had some famous writers such as Pat Conroy author of the Prince of Tides who received free airfare and a free concierge cabin. However, they gave speeches to us, and talked about their experiences. in addition, none were travel writers-and none as far as I know of ever wrote publicity articles for any publication about their cruises. I should add that I thought that those writers on Crystal were worth it.

[quote name='harryw']- I meant that being a guest speaker is a good gig - it's not a time intensive job and you get to enjoy the cruise..although I don't know if guest speakers get a free cruise or just a discount.

Harry[/QUOTE]

LOL I just realized that. I have to lay off the wine when I'm cooking dinner. Oceania is a good gig and I would think being a guest speaker is one also. I once met a lady who gave arts and craft sessions on a large cruise line and she stated she cruised free but her husband had to paid. I imagine it is up to the ship.

On our (not Oceania) cruise last year we had two bridge lecturers - a married couple - and their cruise was free, they were in a guest suite, but they had to give lessons most days for which I think they were also paid. They acted like "paying guests", and used to take pole position in the restaurants, best seats in the theatre etc., which used to annoy us all a tad - I consider these people to be the "hired help"' and no I am not a snob, but that's exactly what they are and should be a case of "family hold back" until your, in this case, paying guests are comfortable and have a seat/table! The main entertainers who also hosted guest dinner tables were charming - they did not behave like these two!

Apparently there are agencies out there promoting "cruise the world for free in exchange for your talents" or words to that effect, so if you've got a skill or subject you want to share, great way to see the world but I do suppose it depends on the cruiseline you land up on! ;):)

To get back to the original topic. This article was a typical PR writing and aimed at who? No idea, certainly not the majority of Oceania's guests! And yes I am aware that travel writers etc., get their freebies in return for writing articles - I used to organise exact same trips myself for writers and journalists for various hospitality companies I worked for! It's how a lot of PR is done throughout the whole travel business - anyone not seen any of Richard Branson's PR stunts??? And the subsequent reporting of same?

Travel agents are another group who benefit from "familiarisation" visits. They are hosted by the cruiseline, hotel, airline etc., and have all their expenses paid in the hope that they will then promote and sell that product to their clients.

It's how it is and is a huge part of the marketing budget of these companies.

I learnt a long time ago never to believe everything I read or saw in any marketing brochure! Hey, I used to write them!!! LOL!

Archived