Clear Lake Pre Cruise

alaskanabbott

We have a family of 8- Myself, DH, my dad and 5 of our children headed out of Galveston on January 4th. We fly in Jan. 1st, to IAH. Our initial idea was to head to Galveston and spend the 3 days there. We are going to need two rooms- I've looked and cannot find anything that will hold us all. I'm starting to re-evaluate my plan and consider going to Clear Lake the day we arrive and staying two nights there. Our first day we get to Houston about noon, so that day I thought we could go to the boardwalk. The next day we could do the space center, then on the 3rd drive to Galveston and stay one night there...maybe do Schlitterbaun or just sight see the island. My questions are here:

1. Any hotels in Clear Lake have a free shuttle from the IAH airport? I know this is a long shot.

2. Any idea what a van to Clear Lake costs (as in shuttle or taxi van). We have looked into a car, but we'd have to get a van and it would run us about $500 to have it for the 3 days.

3. Is there enough to do in Clear Lake to keep us busy? We want relaxed busy...walking, sight seeing, etc.

4. Any recommended hotels, especially with free breakfast? I've searched the hotel website for Clear Lake and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Any other comments on this idea/itinerary are appreciated. Thanks!

Amber

We have a family of 8- Myself, DH, my dad and 5 of our children headed out of Galveston on January 4th. We fly in Jan. 1st, to IAH. Our initial idea was to head to Galveston and spend the 3 days there. We are going to need two rooms- I've looked and cannot find anything that will hold us all. I'm starting to re-evaluate my plan and consider going to Clear Lake the day we arrive and staying two nights there. Our first day we get to Houston about noon, so that day I thought we could go to the boardwalk. The next day we could do the space center, then on the 3rd drive to Galveston and stay one night there...maybe do Schlitterbaun or just sight see the island. My questions are here:

1. Any hotels in Clear Lake have a free shuttle from the IAH airport? I know this is a long shot.

2. Any idea what a van to Clear Lake costs (as in shuttle or taxi van). We have looked into a car, but we'd have to get a van and it would run us about $500 to have it for the 3 days.

3. Is there enough to do in Clear Lake to keep us busy? We want relaxed busy...walking, sight seeing, etc.

4. Any recommended hotels, especially with free breakfast? I've searched the hotel website for Clear Lake and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Any other comments on this idea/itinerary are appreciated. Thanks!

Amber

If you're searching for "Clear Lake" it might not come up as CL is actually a part of Houston. IMO, the best area to stay that's in that Neighborhood would be Webster, especially the area close to I-45 and Bay Area Blvd. There's a few nice newer hotels right there. Baybrook Mall is on one corner and there are large shopping centers with a large choice of restaurants on the other three corners. From that area you're still only about ten minutes drive from JSC and about fifteen minutes from the Boardwalk.

Not really a "walking" area though as traffic can get heavy depending on the time of day..

Another option would be Nassau Bay, which is where JSC is located. it's just a few minutes to the boardwalk from there. You can also search Seabrook for hotels between the Boardwalk and JSC. Another option is the Boardwalk Inn (Could be pricey though for eight people).

Sorry I can't help with the other questions but I figure this might give you a place to start.

Lawrence always gives such good answers! :)

All I can add is this website: http://www.visitbayareahouston.com/index.cfm

You'll find info on lots of stuff to do and places to stay in the Bay Area.

I don't have any answers on the other stuff either, I'm afraid. IAH is so far away, I can't imagine a Bay Area hotel having a shuttle to/from there... But who knows!

-gina-

Check out the Staybridge Suites, Houston-Nasa/Clear Lake. We have reservations there in March, a 2 BEDROOM (1 King, 2 Queen), 2 BATHROOM, living room, kitchen suite. Comparing their price for this suite to the price for 2 separate rooms came out to very little difference, actually cheaper for the time that we will be there (spring break). About 30-40 minutes from Galveston. Close to NASA, the Kemah area (nice boardwalk, bay area).

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably too late to help you but might help someone else in the future. There is a new Courtyard by Marriott hotel across from the Space Center in Clear Lake. It looks pretty nice from the reviews. It is near a strip mall that has a couple of restaurants and a yogurt place. :) It is the Courtyard by Marriott Houston NASA / Nassau Bay, address is 18100 Saturn Lane, Nassau Bay, TX 77058. It is literally across the street from the Space Center, you could walk.

Archived