cancellation policy

Vitality08

on the phone right now with NCL. I'm 70 days away from sailing on a 4 day cruise and they are saying I will forfeit my deposit by canceling. On the website it says for Holiday sailings you have to cancel before 75 days. Any other 4 day cruise it says 60 days.

Agent is telling me that her system says that's for holiday sailings only but I'm still going to be charged the deposit.

Someone please help? what am I missing? the cruise is feb 4-8. There's no holiday then.

on the phone right now with NCL. I'm 70 days away from sailing on a 4 day cruise and they are saying I will forfeit my deposit by canceling. On the website it says for Holiday sailings you have to cancel before 75 days. Any other 4 day cruise it says 60 days.

Agent is telling me that her system says that's for holiday sailings only but I'm still going to be charged the deposit.

Someone please help? what am I missing? the cruise is feb 4-8. There's no holiday then.

It may depend on the type of room booked. From my last two invoices (booked in suites), penalties started at 90 days out even though final payment was 75 days. It was confusing and my TA got different answers from different NCL reps.

crisis adverted. I did ask to speak to a supervisor but she asked to put me on hold again while she did more "research"...came back and said that I would not be charged the deposit.

I've never sailed NCL but I get the feeling they were trying to scam me out of my deposit. I still have every intention on taking this same cruise it's just that I've noticed I can get better prices for the 4 day on the Sky by booking 4-6 weeks out. That's the reason I was canceling now...I'll be rebooking late December or early January.

Anyway, it all worked out.

It may depend on the type of room booked. From my last two invoices (booked in suites), penalties started at 90 days out even though final payment was 75 days. It was confusing and my TA got different answers from different NCL reps.

Correction....just checked....penalties started at 120 days even though final payment was due 90 days beforehand.

crisis adverted. I did ask to speak to a supervisor but she asked to put me on hold again while she did more "research"...came back and said that I would not be charged the deposit.

I've never sailed NCL but I get the feeling they were trying to scam me out of my deposit. I still have every intention on taking this same cruise it's just that I've noticed I can get better prices for the 4 day on the Sky by booking 4-6 weeks out. That's the reason I was canceling now...I'll be rebooking late December or early January.

I can assure you they weren't trying to scam you. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to find that those of us sailing know more than those answering the phone (hence my suggestion to call back and talk to a different person).

Glad it all worked out for you!

I hope you can get the cruise you want for the price you want.

Do be careful about looking at fall and early December and some post holiday cruise pricing patterns and assuming that midwinter cruises will have similar prices 4-6 weeks out. Hurricane season cruises tend to be cheaper. here is also a lull just before and immediately after the holidays, so they too may be cheaper. the pricing for February will depend upon demand for that cruise...If you are lucky, the price will fall. if demand is high, the prices may rise. Book when the price is acceptable to you and happy sailing.

I wouldn't say it all worked out ... yet.

Hopefully, the OP can come back and tell us if they were able to get the cabin they want, in the location they want, at a better price.

Sometimes gamblers win...othertimes they lose. It would be interesting to follow this gamble.

I love it! You get what you are entitled to yet still find the time to slam the cruise line. MISTAKES HAPPEN.

I love it! You get what you are entitled to yet still find the time to slam the cruise line. MISTAKES HAPPEN.

Wow, how exactly did I slam the cruise line? By saying I felt she was trying to scam me? I'm not entitled to a feeling? Had truly been trying to slam them I would have called them every negative name in the book and refused to rebook with them.

I love how you found the time to personally attack me based on 1 sentence written. I understand mistakes happen but if I'm told I'll forfeit my deposit and then placed on hold and the person returns and says she "checked" and I will forfeit my deposit and ONLY when I ask to speak to a supervisor does she want to put me on hold again to do more "research" I do get a lil suspicious. But you can think whatever you want.

Also, I'm not too picky about my cabin so I'm comfortable with going guarantee while hoping for the best. I'm going solo so my rate for the inside was $498...I'm hoping to grab a cabin for $350 or less by waiting. I'll update on what I get if anyone is interested.

Wow, how exactly did I slam the cruise line? By saying I felt she was trying to scam me? I'm not entitled to a feeling? Had truly been trying to slam them I would have called them every negative name in the book and refused to rebook with them.

I love how you found the time to personally attack me based on 1 sentence written. I understand mistakes happen but if I'm told I'll forfeit my deposit and then placed on hold and the person returns and says she "checked" and I will forfeit my deposit and ONLY when I ask to speak to a supervisor does she want to put me on hold again to do more "research" I do get a lil suspicious. But you can think whatever you want.

I doubt anyone was trying to "scam" you. What you may not understand is that when you call NCL, like calling most large companies now a days you get a call center. Call center people usually can only tell you what appears on their screen once they input a query. Likely they put you on hold first typed in a few more inquiries into their computer and came up with the same answer. Then when you asked to speak to a supervisor, most call centers have to get permission from the supervisor to transfer the call. The supervisor probably just then gave the person the real answer and he/she came back and gave it to you.

Also, I'm not too picky about my cabin so I'm comfortable with going guarantee while hoping for the best. I'm going solo so my rate for the inside was $498...I'm hoping to grab a cabin for $350 or less by waiting. I'll update on what I get if anyone is interested.

To me, that sounds like a pretty good solo rate for peak winter season. Are you sure you want to gamble by waiting. If cabin prices rise and solo supplement is 200%, your solo rate will rise twice as fast.

Those are popular times and I'll tell you why.

I know several couples (friends) who snowbird South after the holidays.

The first thing many of them do is see what short cruises are available to get the transfer started before move in.. ;)

Dont wait to long..

I think some would have jumped on this because scam is a harsh word. Means to defraud, swindle or illegal business practices. Most think NCL is not a "crooked" business. As others have said, there are hundreds of posts here on dealing with the call center. They make mistakes, but with the tens of thousands of calls they take and make, errors happen. A mistake is quite different than a scam.

As others have said, swapping cruises for a better deal is risky business. Right now your cruise is $199 per person so with normal single supplement is should be right at 400. You roll the dice when you make the changes. Many pick a price they are happy with and book it. You can make yourself crazy chasing prices. Good luck.

Archived