I think I need packing lessons

I am doing my first Royal Caribbean cruise in a few days, I have only been on Princess before and used their laundry facilities. I am flying to Sydney first and I am going with Virgin who I noticed have a 23kg allowance. I sighed a huge sigh of relief thinking I would need that extra 3kgs but I just weighed my suitcase as a dummy run and it weighed 26.7kgs. :eek: Oh Dear!

My husband asked if I were taking tins of food lol. He was serious! :p

Take a deep breath and remove a few things. Laundry service on RCL is very good and not too expensive. Two types of laundry - one bag for a set price / all you can stuff in the bag (I used that for undies, socks, things like that and by the piece for jeans, tees, etc. Just ask your steward if the bags aren't in your room. If you leave the bags out in the morning they're usually back the next day.

We were in your wonderful country for 40 days (34 on the Radiance of the Seas) and sent laundry out several times.

Our jeans and tees were terribly upset when we got home and found out they weren't going to get the glamor treatment and be pressed. :rolleyes:

Make sure you don't take things you don't need. On that cruise (I am also onboard) should be warm so there is no need for any warm gear, except for one jumper/coat, should you wish to go out on deck at night or feel the cold. Another thing you could do to lower wait is minimise the amount of shoes you take. The most you need is three pair. One for around the ship, one for dinners and one for going ashore. You can take it down to two pair if you use the same shoes for onboard and ashore. You don't want to take more clothes then you need. So you want enough clothes for one set each day plus two days, unless you want to wash. For dinner onboard, if you get changed after the dinner and show you can get away with wearing the same clothes twice, once you give your clothes a airing. It may not be the most ideal way but its something you need to do sometimes. For formal wear you could only take one set and wear it on both the formal nights. There is no need to take a towel (since your a past cruiser I you might already know that though but just in case). If your taking shampoo and conditioner, buy some cheap bottles from the reject shop or other cheap store and fill them up. This cuts down the weight of taking a whole bottle as well as saving space.

Just some tips from someone who spent 2 month travelling North America, in both Caribbean 30 degree weather and Canadian -20 degree weather.

If u r travelling with someone one of u stay at the OPT with all your carry on while the other gets on the free bus to go to Wollies or Coles to buy the heavy things like shampoo, wine & washing liquid.

For the flight wear your heavy clothing including heavy shoes and rember that u can take carry on with you.

You may need to rethink the type of luggage u have and maybe buy something lighter.

Hope that u have a great cruise.

Be careful about your carry on...I nearly got caught out when flying with an unfamiliar airline...some limit carry on to 7kgs! Try and mix match your clothes.

When in doubt take something out...and carry a huge handbag! I start out OK nice sensible piles...then at the end I panic and start throwing things in...

Seriously when all take more clothes than we really need. My best friend is one of those little multi peg plastic hangers you buy at the $2 shop. I rinse undies, smalls and drip dries and they dry overnight in bathroom...well I did now elite on Princess YAY.

Have a great trip.

Sue

hey silverwillow don't stress

for a 12 day cruise you'll only need max of 6 "Light" outfits with 1 formal outfit.......3 sets shoes max.......swim wear

"Airing and wearing" "Mixing and matching" are the keys!

As mentioned take a little multiple peg hanger along and do your "smalls & swim wear" in the shower daily. It will dry overnight.

Take minimum make-up (your on holidays after all) and only "can not do without" toiletries.

a big handbag for the flight is also a must...stuff all your undies and make-up etc in that-good airline trick. You do have a carry-on bag each also but DO be careful sometimes the BUDGET lines DO check weight and size.

I always find I only used 1/2 the number of clothes I take and I ALWAYS make hubby take the least amount....hehhehehe.........all the more space for me to bring home all the shopping!

Enjoy!

:D

Forgot..."fly over cruise home"..love ships if it fits it can come, I just have to have a garage sale to get rid of all these extra suitcases I have acquired.

On airlines...if desperate in Australia you can send an unaccompanied bag by bus to your home town...very reasonable rates Greyhound as well as others do it.

Buy extra weight for the plane before you get to airport.

But the best tip is.....

Keep husband to whatever fits in a carry on no one cares what he is wearing..LOL.

Sue

another thing if you're flying home and you think you might be over get a pre paid satchel from aus post and post it home from the airport, the 3kg cost $12.50 & the 5kg $15.90.....might be cheaper than paying excess baggage

Great tips everyone. I wondered why this time it was so difficult to pack as I am usually ok and my hubby pointed out that I usually steal 1/3 of his and 1/3 of my daughter suitcase but this time I am going without them so I cant take my normal 30kgs lol.

I have this weird thing about wearing the same thing out again, I guess I will have to get over that and wear things a couple of times (unless they stink :p)

Right, last night I got it down to 22.7kgs I'll try and get some more out tonight when I get home from work!

I will also stop being a stinge and use the laundry one or twice too! :)

Hi,

I always carry my toiletries & make up in my carry on as they are heavy being liquids mostly.

I find one of the pleasures of being on a cruise holiday is being able to get dressed up & go out each night to a show so I don't like to limit my choice.

I do like to take extra shoes to match my outfits, but evening shoes are usually light weight. I do wear the heaviest day shoes & clothes on the plane. Plus carry your coat if you are taking one.

I also try to take light weight clothing in general, but not always possible.

Jeans can be quite heavy so try to limit those.

Underwear does dry fast I find if you hand wash it, so just take enough for half the cruise if you are still pushed for weight.

I guess the advice given that will be useful to you will depend on if you are a dress up or not sort of person. :)

I find if you wear an outfit for just a few hours at night, it is quite Ok to wear a second time later in the cruise, you can usually dress it up a different way depending on what accessories you use.

Have fun!

Another thing you could do to lower wait is minimise the amount of shoes you take. The most you need is three pair. One for around the ship, one for dinners and one for going ashore. You can take it down to two pair if you use the same shoes for onboard and ashore.

Obviously a male :eek: :D :p:p:p

A good tip which I've heard many times is to lay out everything you plan to take, then put half of it away. Re-wearing outfits is no big crime (no one is gonna notice). Shorts, skirts, dresses, etc can be reworn (as long as they're not smelly).

The three pairs of shoes rule is a good one. I normally take a pair of joggers/sneakers, a pair of flip flops or sandals and a more formal pair of shoes for dinner (which I can wear with formal wear or casual). And don't forget you'll be wearing a pair of shoes when you fly/board so don't pack those. :)

Obviously a male :eek: :D :p

I hear you Debsta! Obviously they don't have to alternate between heels & flats, or have a wardrobe that isn't all a colour that will match one pair of evening shoes!:D

Advice on packing would definately be gender specific.

May also be age specific, although there are plenty of spiffy dressers in the seniors age group, there are also usually more that dress for comfort/what's easiest, over looking good as well.:D:p

Discodaisy oh how I envy you. I would love to sail into my home port, it would make packing so easy I could just take two suitcases lol. :p

Perth needs more round trip cruises.

Final weight is 22.1 kgs and I am happy with that. I can fit a bit more in my hand bag and carry on if I shop at all. :)

I hope this storm passes though I fly tomorrow at 10am whoohoo.

Thanks for the help all!

Discodaisy oh how I envy you. I would love to sail into my home port, it would make packing so easy I could just take two suitcases lol. :p

Perth needs more round trip cruises.

Final weight is 22.1 kgs and I am happy with that. I can fit a bit more in my hand bag and carry on if I shop at all. :)

I hope this storm passes though I fly tomorrow at 10am whoohoo.

Thanks for the help all!

Well if its still stormy at least you have something to look forward to. We have blue skies, cant even see a cloud and tomorrow is going to be a steamer apparently.

"Final weight is 22.1 kgs and I am happy with that. I can fit a bit more in my hand bag and carry on if I shop at all. :)"

Well done girl but I bet you still wont use all the clothes you take.

I make a note every cruise and have finally hond it down to just about spot on for us. Our NZ cruise we only took one suitcase between DH & I total of 21kgs plus our carry-ons. Which left plenty of room to bring back the shopping etc!

Enjoy! :D

PS

Hint- also put in a strong lightweight plastic shopping bag for emergency carry-on

Hi Silverwillow,

I'm sure you will be fine now.

Enjoy your cruise & your wardrobe. I take a variety of outfits which I do wear, but I try to choose light weight options, always coming in just under the 20kg.

Although I'm not sure what I'll do on our Alaska/Hawaii/Repositioning cruises late 2013. Going from cold Wintery weather to tropical, I guess thermal underwear is light weight!

But we don't tend buy much anymore whilst away or anything big, so don't need to leave space for purchases like Happyaussies does.

Most things I would buy would be small & wearable like jewellery anyway so not much space needed.:D

Also, if you do go crazy & buy up big, you can always post either the purchases or some clothes home to save on weight.

What is annoying about the airline baggage weight restrictions is that they keep reducing them.

I often wonder if that is in response to passengers getting heavier over time & they have to balance the weight out somewhere, so everyones baggage allowance gets reduced?

With the almost worldwide trend in obesity levels predicted to continue to increase does that mean by 2020 baggage limits may be 10kg.:eek:

The overweight baggage fees by then may make cruising both ways a viable alternative.:D:D

Hi Silverwillow,

I believe you are boarding Radiance tomorrow. Could you please let us all know if you are offered the new unlimited internet package on this cruise and how much it costs. Would be much appreciated. Have a wonderful cruise and look after her well we board her on the 12th.

Hi Silverwillow,

I believe you are boarding Radiance tomorrow. Could you please let us all know if you are offered the new unlimited internet package on this cruise and how much it costs. Would be much appreciated. Have a wonderful cruise and look after her well we board her on the 12th.

Can I also request you investigate for me the rumored unlimited alcohol package pretty please.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived