Several questions

nursey000

We are trying Carnival this time. We went last Feb on RCL. We are thinking either Magic or ConQuest. We were looking around 2-10 but realized that was Mardi Gras.

1.Either ship better and is it smarter to wait a week? I was trying to find a stay and park as we are driving from Missouri.

2.One of the PVP says they are putting out new rates tomorrow. Anyone know about this.

3.Last question, we want to use our Carnival points to pay for the cruise, I was told book it then call and tell them you want to use points, Is this correct

We are trying Carnival this time. We went last Feb on RCL. We are thinking either Magic or ConQuest. We were looking around 2-10 but realized that was Mardi Gras.

1.Either ship better and is it smarter to wait a week? I was trying to find a stay and park as we are driving from Missouri.

2.One of the PVP says they are putting out new rates tomorrow. Anyone know about this.

3.Last question, we want to use our Carnival points to pay for the cruise, I was told book it then call and tell them you want to use points, Is this correct

I am not sure where in Missouri you are, but NOLA is an easy drive IMO from Missouri. It is shorter than Galveston also, which is where Magic is. If you go from NOLA, I would definitely avoid Mardi Gras time. Conquest just got 2.0 upgrades, so it should be pretty nice. Have not been on Magic. I would like to, but cost and easy of drive have steered me toward Conquest a second time.

I have also heard there are going to be multiple rates going into effect, but I thought it was in December, so I assumed not until next week. There are a couple of threads on here with a PDF file with multiple details and explanations. Personally I thought it looked like it would get MORE complicated, but there seemed to be more pricing options.

Sorry I cannot answer your question about the ports.

Edited to add: When we went last time we stayed at Quality Inn in Gretna. It was decent enough and they did a park and cruise special with transport to and from the port.

On this page, there is a review called Live and almost Live on the Conquest. Sarge Schulz (the poster) has been on the ship tons of times. Read his review and look at the pics. He also has a great website with tons of info. Click on anything you want to read about...

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/zc_cruise_page.htm

Was planning a Conquest cruise from NOLA since, being from Missouri as well, the drive didn't look too bad. We were going to go Jan 27 then realized the Superbowl would be going on when we got back into port. Was not going to fight those crowds! We booked Magic from Galveston for Jan 20 instead. We live in the Columbia area and have a 16 hour drive ahead of us. No problem for DH and myself, but not so ideal if we had small children or taking our elderly parents. DH doesn't have a lot of wiggle room as to when he takes vacation so we had to find something in the January time frame. Conquest is cheaper, slightly smaller ship, etc. but still just as nice.

If it was me and you have the time to adjust your schedule, take Conquest, but avoid Mardi Gras! Motels can be pricey in NOLA (anytime)and unavailable due to events like Mardi Gras. The Gretna suggestion is what my daughter is going to do for her upcoming cruise. As for the points, I have no clue.

Have not heard about the new rates, but will keep an eye on them.

Mardi Gra is February 12-- so if you go the weekend before-- I would bet you would pay an arm, a let and a few toes for air fare and hotel rooms.

If you can go the week after-- I would look at that week

Was planning a Conquest cruise from NOLA since, being from Missouri as well, the drive didn't look too bad. We were going to go Jan 27 then realized the Superbowl would be going on when we got back into port. Was not going to fight those crowds! We booked Magic from Galveston for Jan 20 instead. We live in the Columbia area and have a 16 hour drive ahead of us. No problem for DH and myself, but not so ideal if we had small children or taking our elderly parents. DH doesn't have a lot of wiggle room as to when he takes vacation so we had to find something in the January time frame. Conquest is cheaper, slightly smaller ship, etc. but still just as nice.

If it was me and you have the time to adjust your schedule, take Conquest, but avoid Mardi Gras! Motels can be pricey in NOLA (anytime)and unavailable due to events like Mardi Gras. The Gretna suggestion is what my daughter is going to do for her upcoming cruise. As for the points, I have no clue.

Have not heard about the new rates, but will keep an eye on them.

Lol. In red is the exact reason we are going from NOLA and not Galveston, although I would like to check out Magic. I just cannot justify the extra couple of hours. DD will be 2 years and 3 months this time. Last time she was 15 months and it was an adventure. But on the way home we made it from the hotel in Gretna to our house in Russellville (just outside of Jefferson City) in about 12 hours. We will see how it goes this time.

Archived