Grand Caymen tender process

waterbugohio

They will not leave people standing in lone for the tender. But do not come back to the port a half hour after the last-tender time assuming there will still be a long line!

thanks, just wanted to make sure as long as im there on time they wont cut me off!

dont worry i wont be one of those people! (atleast i hope not!) i like to be back early- i would stress to much if i waited until the last second

• 1 month later...

There is lots of shopping and eating places near the port, and a couple of decent snorkeling spots (Eden Rock and Paradise Restaurant). You can take a cab or a bus (which is actually a van) to points along 7-mile beach for a few bucks per person. The Route 1 or 2 bus will take you from the library (a block from the port) to anywhere on 7 Mile Beach, the turtle farm, and hell. There are also plenty of excursions you can buy from vendors in the port area, although if you have something specific in mind you should book in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now (just came back from a week there) Grand Cayman is on US Central time

Confusion happens because

1. Cayman does not observe US day light savings time

2. What a ship leaving from an eastern time zone during DST (Miami, Tampa, Canaveral) decides to do about the time change as they steam west . . {change clocks or not}

3. Don't get twisted about it .... on a CG Cutter we'd get cornfused too as we sailed east and west in the Carib'

Set your watch to SHIP TIME . . . .

Right now (just came back from a week there) Grand Cayman is on US Central time

Confusion happens because

1. Cayman does not observe US day light savings time

2. What a ship leaving from an eastern time zone during DST (Miami, Tampa, Canaveral) decides to do about the time change as they steam west . . {change clocks or not}

3. Don't get twisted about it .... on a CG Cutter we'd get cornfused too as we sailed east and west in the Carib'

Set your watch to SHIP TIME . . . .

I totally agree there could be some issues with Cayman time and tender delays as well. We had booked a 9AM independent tour in January per the operator's website for an April 3rd "Rays, Reefs and Rum Point" excursion. The operator confirmed our excursion by email along with a lengthy explanation about Cayman time which was intended to clarify the time issue but, as it turned out, confused us.

Looking back at the emails closer, the time change explanation was apparently intended for cruises primarily from the eastern time zone. Our Celebrity cruise approached from Cartegena, Colombia and arrived at 8AM. We boarded the tender promptly at 8AM but it did not leave the ship until almost 8:45. Once at the tender dock (which was different from Carnival's dock), I contacted the tour operator when noone met us there as planned. She informed me that the tour left at 8AM. She also mentioned she didn't realize that we were on Celebrity (eventhough our initial email to the operator stated that). She did try to help resolve the situation by offering us the same tour later that day but it ended too late. She was a very nice lady and I really dont't fault her. It was my mistake.

We ended up booking with Capt Marvin that morning and had a great time so it ended well. This was the last of our ports and our other five shore excursions (four independent) went off without a hitch. I should have and will be more diligent in planning shore excursions on our next cruise ship visit to Grand Cayman.

Happy cruising!

Archived