Flight upgrade

Yes spoke to them today in the shop and she said they were in the premium seats, like a separate cabin. They can keep them!

Ah , thought so Gizzy , i rem selling lots of these in the past although i agree its just silly money to spend and so annoying when people get them for nothing at the last min. Worst thing is half the people that get them free dont appriciate them and their value so flippin wasted on them anyway.

This is one thing i think Thomson get very wrong. When its close to departure date these are often the only seats left, instead of either swapping around and giving them to early bookers or ringing them and offering them cheap they just give them free on the late deals !!

I know that cost wise its just not practical to give them away as they need to ring customers or write and check if they want them and i have had to do similar in the past and you get " oh, that sounds nice, will have to ask my husband/wife etc as weve already chosen our seats" :confused: or something similar!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Its a nightmare as you just cant get on and then your waiting for people to get back to you etc etc. Thats why as such a huge company it makes more sense to just give them away ! :mad:

I paid £50 for the extra legroom seats for my flight to Sharm for the Red Sea cruise in January. At 6'6" tall it's £50 well spent.

And they're not at the front in a seperate part of the cabin. They're over the wing by the emergency exits.

I paid £50 for the extra legroom seats for my flight to Sharm for the Red Sea cruise in January. At 6'6" tall it's £50 well spent.

And they're not at the front in a seperate part of the cabin. They're over the wing by the emergency exits.

Hi thebooler , your seats won't be in a sep part as this is only a mid haul flight to Sharm not long haul so only a smaller plane ,that's why only £50 pp, (short haul eg Majorca etc is about £20pp) . It's the long haul premium seats that Gizzy meant which are £190 or so , much bigger planes with a sep area at front for premium seats ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

OK I understand that people with low mobility would like to travel on planes and will need to seated nearby the doors

This is perfectly reasonable

but

why do they always hold the 1st 4 (most sought after) rows for disabled?

these seats are never available to book even if you have paid extra for select your seat

row 1 is a extra legroom premium seat at a cost (row 12 on longhaul)....they dont hold them for disabled?

there is a door at the back anyway....so why rows 2 to 4? In fact, there are no (premium) extra legroom seats at the back so the back 3 rows are actually nearer to the doors?

if they are going to provide low mobility seating (like they do on trains) they should provide allocated disabled seats with extra leg room at no extra cost anyway

my mother in law is 85 she has never been given a priority seat (not unless she has paid for it)...she can just about negotiate the length of the cabin on her own, this is despite paying the premium for seats together.....I was in wheelchair then a full leg plaster cast & crutches followed by an aircast for 18 months....I have never been allocated a priority seat, in fact it never occurred to me to do so, despite paying the premium for seats together

I have only once seen a disabled person hoisted onboard an aircraft, most elderly people are usually having to negotiate the length of the cabin, most times there aren’t any disabled on board, in that case the held (best, front row) seats are either:

left empty so that there is scrum to get to them once the aircraft has taken off, or, they go to families/honeymoon couples who have not paid for seats together and who then complain (bleat) once on board the aircraft?

There is a door at the back

front row seats on Thoms are the last to be allocated (just in case any low mobility passengers turn up which they hardly ever do) so usually, late comers will get them....whether they have paid extra for seats together or not?

so, don’t pay for seats together...if you wantthe best seats (baring the odd disabled person)…..just turn up late!

Disabled accepted…..but why should those that have paid to sit together & got to checkin in good time, then have to watch as late people/complainers get the best seats

There is a door at the back?

Geomagot, know what you mean. It drives me mad. Couple of years ago we paid £50 for extra leg room seats on what's classed as a mid haul flight. We were on the front row with lots of leg room, all lovely till a couple got on right at the last min. They were put next to us and winged and moaned for four and a half hours of the flight. :mad: They actually thought they had been given bad seats !!! :banghead:

As we had paid I was furious they didn't appreciate the freebie they had been given, its so unfair when Thomson do this and it wasn't the first time it had happened to us so after about an hour of their constant winging I had to have a word ! They said they were terrible seats and they didn't like being near the doors, they also thought it was their right to sit in the cafe leisurely eating dispute 2 tannoy calls for them ! They said they had paid and they knew the plane could not leave without them so why rush !!! :mad::mad:

Honestly (as you can probably guess)....I have no end of stories concerning these (held) seats

We nearly always pay for seats together when we are travelling as a family

I dont want my daughters sitting the other end of the aircraft with Gary Glitter

On our recent flight home from Sharm, we had paid the supplement for seats together, there was 5 of us, because we had got to the airport in good time (tip here, give yourself plenty of time Sharm airport is madness) and because seats are allocated from the back (tetris) we had seats together near the back

a couple of seconds after the fasten seat belt signs blinked off, some kind of (foul mouthed) rant kicked off between 2 groups of passengers a couple of rows in front of us....eventually...the most disruptive group got moved.....to rows 2/3 (the held seats)....where they proceeded to stretch out and enjoy their flight whilst partaking of the bar just footsteps away in the front galley (or the contents of a bottle concealed in a brown paper bag in the case of one of them)

meanwhile...a lady with some sort of norovirus also wanted to be moved anywhere near the loos...because the held seats had by this time been taken, she was given a couple of sick bags and told that she could stand near the front loo in the galley in the vain hope that at sometime during the 4 hour flight the toilet may by some pure happenchance become vacant!

I tend to get up and walk about during a flight if I can, I'm (&DS) are 6ft+ so cant fold up enough to be able to sit in those cramped seats for very long

I noticed that the people in the 1st row, who had paid a premium for the extra leg room had not only to enjoy the company of a load of pondlife that had been moved into the 2 rows directly behind them but also had front row views of that poor woman throwing up mostly in the front galley! (Norovirus...Galley!!?):mad:

Am I being a bit thick here but why are the first 4 rows the most sort after?:confused:

We like to get the back row if poss as no unruly child (which I always manage to get) or sorry should I say inconsiderate parents at the back of me using my seat as a kicking, car running punch bag.:(

Dunno TBH? Traditionally I guess the 1st 5 rows were the top 1st class seats...maybe that’s the percieved appeal? even tho Thoms short haul are all economy

I like the front personally, better views, near the doors, near the galley, in front of the engines, less noisy, less bumpy.... I guess its personal preference...I do know a lot of others also like to be at the front and others prefer the very last row for the same reasons as above, each have their pros & cons.... it can get bumpy at the back

and crying, kicking infants always have the seat directly behind me....I'm like a magnet?:(

Am I being a bit thick here but why are the first 4 rows the most sort after?:confused:

We like to get the back row if poss as no unruly child (which I always manage to get) or sorry should I say inconsiderate parents at the back of me using my seat as a kicking, car running punch bag.:(

Quite agree Mary. Coming home from Salou in the summer, we had the children from hell behind us, kicking and screaming :( Thank goodness it was only a two hour flight :)

Funnily enough, when we went on the Dream in the Caribbean last winter, there were several children on board, a nine hour flight, but so well behaved. I only knew there were children on board when I got up to go to the loo. I guess it depends on the sort of children (and parents!)

Dunno TBH? Traditionally I guess the 1st 5 rows were the top 1st class seats...maybe that’s the percieved appeal? even tho Thoms short haul are all economy

I like the front personally, better views, near the doors, near the galley, in front of the engines, less noisy, less bumpy.... I guess its personal preference...I do know a lot of others also like to be at the front and others prefer the very last row for the same reasons as above, each have their pros & cons.... it can get bumpy at the back

and crying, kicking infants always have the seat directly behind me....I'm like a magnet?:(

Next time we fly can we please arrange to be on the same flight then your child magnet will keep all the little darlings away from me. Thank You:D:D

We shouldn't really blame the kids though, the majority of cases it's the parents who just leave them to it. Really annoys me.:mad:

• 3 weeks later...
Geomagot, know what you mean. It drives me mad. Couple of years ago we paid £50 for extra leg room seats on what's classed as a mid haul flight. We were on the front row with lots of leg room, all lovely till a couple got on right at the last min. They were put next to us and winged and moaned for four and a half hours of the flight. :mad: They actually thought they had been given bad seats !!! :banghead:

As we had paid I was furious they didn't appreciate the freebie they had been given, its so unfair when Thomson do this and it wasn't the first time it had happened to us so after about an hour of their constant winging I had to have a word ! They said they were terrible seats and they didn't like being near the doors, they also thought it was their right to sit in the cafe leisurely eating dispute 2 tannoy calls for them ! They said they had paid and they knew the plane could not leave without them so why rush !!! :mad::mad:

I would have ordered a glass of red wine with my meal and "accidentally" spilled it on them when the opportunity arose...................................

Archived