Is something spectacular going on in FLL 1/5-1/7/2013?

Sheal

Hi There,

I have been looking around for a 4 * pre-cruise stay and have found that many of the hotel websites are showing no availability for this weekend.

Any idea why? I tried searching the FLL events and didn't see anything that would cause a sell out of all hotel rooms. I have had a easier time getting a great price during both February and April vacations. I thought this would be a piece of cake.

Fill me in please!

Sheal

BTW, does anyone know if all of the rooms at Il Lugano have sleeper sofas? I'm seeing a 4* suite/condo on Hotwire that appears to match.

Thanks,

I had read about the Orange Bowl but thought it was on the 1st of January. I figured everyone would be home by the time I showed up.

Should I consider paying the top buck and book a room? Any chance that some inventory will open up? I'm not a big football fan so I don't really know how these things work.

Sheal

Your partially right, the Orange Bowl game is Jan 1, but it is the lesser of the two games. The National championship game is Jan 7 at the same stadium.

The room situation will get even better then worse after this Saturday when the other team is determined. (The winner of the SEC conference championship game in Atlanta). What I mean is, there are still 3 potential teams that could play in the game so some people from both of the other two potential schools made reservations ahead of time with the intent of cancelling if their team is eliminated. Once it is narrowed down to 2 teams, there will be some cancellations but there will also be many more reservations made.

I have been watching availability for 1/6/13 for a post-cruise night. Lastminutetravel has rooms available at the Hilton Ft.Lauderdale Beach(4.5*) for $224(non-member rate) and $196(member rate), and the Doubletree Suites Gallery One(3.5*) for $160(non-member) and $140(member). Both have good reviews.

islandhopper23,

What do you mean by member and non-member on the LMT website? I have been looking at the rates just for comparison but not that closely. I'm thinking I might go with the Hilton beach.

I mentioned this to my husband and even he said it had never crossed his mind about the game.

I looked at the rates month ago and said "they will go down". Wrong!

Sheal

I figured out the member/non-member. Since we need 2 rooms it would save us an additional $62 after paying the $50 membership fee. May be worth looking into.

Thanks for mentioning it!

They were offering free membership for Black Friday weekend. You missed it. :( I joined then and booked hotels for two upcoming winter trips for us and one for our daughter. Saved some $$.

If you call the phone number given on the regular last min. travel site, you can get a few dollars off of the posted amounts. But it won't match the club member rate. But that generally was only maybe $15 less. Not worth joining the club unless you will be booking more than a few nights in the year.

eandj,

Unfortunately I don't watch that website that often. Then again even if I was on it I probably would not have see it. I wonder if they have that special more than once a year?

I booked a total of 9 in April of this year and will need at least 4 nights for this trip. I could have saved enough to at least pay for the taxis.

Sheal

I figured out the member/non-member. Since we need 2 rooms it would save us an additional $62 after paying the $50 membership fee. May be worth looking into.

Thanks for mentioning it!

You're welcome! I hope it helps. We had the Hilton Beach reserved for 1/6, but canceled because we were able to get a room at Marriott Harbor Beach for rewards points.

Isalandhopper23,

My dream would be to stay at the Harbor Beach. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Well the good news is that I was able to get a free membership. Bad news is that the Hilton has been replaced by the Hyatt 66.

Hopefully it might show up again.

Sheal

Sheal,

We are only staying there because we have points to use, otherwise, it would only be a dream of mine too! :D

enadj is right, it is very easy to cancel a reservation with LMT, as long as it's greater than 3 days before your travel date. I did my cancellation online and it was quite easy.

Archived