Norwegian Jewel or Westerdam?

Tapi

Hi!

We are currently booked on the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska departing June 2013. Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 small children) plus 2 grandparents.

At the time we booked, the difference in price between the NCL Jewel and HAL Westerdam was much larger, but right now it's just $300 (total, not per person) for the same category and sailing date.

Jewel visits Skagway and Tracy Arm

Westerdam visits Sitka and Glacier Bay

Is the Westerdam (and the itinerary) worth $300 more? I have the cursor on the "book" button...:o

(P.S. Yes, I'm posting this on the HAL board)

I like both cruise lines, but I LOVE Glacier Bay. We sailed on the Westerdam on one of our Alaskan cruises and had a great time!! I'm not sure if you have children, but we went on a July sailing and there were lots of children. Our DSs had a lot of fun!Good luck on either line.

You might want to check the Alaska boards. There is always talk about the different itineraries.

Hi!

We are currently booked on the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska departing June 2013. Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 small children) plus 2 grandparents.

At the time we booked, the difference in price between the NCL Jewel and HAL Westerdam was much larger, but right now it's just $300 (total, not per person) for the same category and sailing date.

Is the Westerdam (and the itinerary) worth $300 more? I have the cursor on the "book" button...:o

I have been on the Westerdam and the Jewel's sister, the Pearl. This is a tough choice. Here are the respective advantages I can think of:

Westerdam: COVERED pool area that you can use everyday, regardless of the weather. This is a HUGE thing if you like to be out by the pool. Also, Glacier Bay is a spectacular thing to see.

Jewel: Cheaper, as you mention. It's probably got a better kids program, and NCL offers a better diversity of activities for the whole family. Whereas HAL has formal nights and fixed dining times, NCL's Freestyle is probably easier for a mixed age group. By the way, the White Pass Railroad in Skagway is supposed to be superb, so it might be worth missing Glacier Bay.

Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you decide.

Hi!

We have sailed on both the Westerdam and the Jewel. We would pick the Jewel hands down. We took the Westerdam to Alaska because it was the cheapest and it was a large group of us going. Don't want to go into a lot of details but won't travel HAL again. Just not for us. Plus, we are now spoiled to the suite life NCL offers and have trouble talking ourselves into anything else. We've done the Alaska cruise 8 times on 5 different lines. It is definitely our favorite cruise destination.

My vote is Tracy Arm. I was on the last Alaskan cruise of the season on the Westerdam in Sept 2011 and due to bad weather had to miss Sitka and Glacer Bay but spend most of a night and the next day in Tracy Arm due to a wise decision by the Captain.

Which ever ship you choose you can't go wrong.

Just to point out I have a review of my Jewel AK trip in my signature. I've never been on HAL or to Glacier Bay, but can provide any info you need on the Jewel AK trip

Hey sdmike:

Thanks! I actually read your picture review when you first posted it. It was GREAT! It really gave me a sense of what the cruise on the Jewel would be like. One of the best reviews I've read in a while. :)

I'm leaning towards the Westerdam because of Glacier Bay though. Many of the reviews I've read say that it's worth it (plus I think that my elderly parents may enjoy the Holland America experience a bit more).

Hey sdmike:

Thanks! I actually read your picture review when you first posted it. It was GREAT! It really gave me a sense of what the cruise on the Jewel would be like. One of the best reviews I've read in a while. :)

I'm leaning towards the Westerdam because of Glacier Bay though. Many of the reviews I've read say that it's worth it (plus I think that my elderly parents may enjoy the Holland America experience a bit more).

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way. Ask your parents what they think. I thought mine were into the more formal experience, but they ended up loving freestyle (Epic in 2010, Jewel in 2012)

Ask your parents what they think. I thought mine were into the more formal experience, but they ended up loving freestyle (Epic in 2010, Jewel in 2012)

I'm actually, visiting them for a few days as we speak, which is what brought up the vacation topic and prompted me to do a price comparison. They do like the more formal and traditional experience (my dad started sailing back in the classic ocean liner days), which made me think that NCL may not be the right choice for them. :o

With that said,

EVERYONE, Thanks for your responses! :)

Well, I booked the Westerdam last night. SY category. I still haven't cancelled the Norwegian Jewel because I'm not 100% convinced yet, but my gut feeling tells me to stick to the Westerdam because of:

• Glacier Bay (vast majority of opinions I read favor Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm).
  • HAL vs NCL for my parents. They are in their 70's, well traveled, and appreciate the finer things. It seems as if the HAL experience may be more to their liking.
  • SY category on the Westerdam vs MA category on the Jewel. As mentioned before, $300 difference (total), but it seems like it's a much nicer cabin, bigger balcony, with better ammenities and perks.

The reasons why Im not 100% convinced yet are because:

• We are traveling with small children as well, and it seems as if NCL's kids program may be better (with Nickelodeon, age categories, etc).
  • Also, the entire freestyle concept sounds appealing because of its flexibility.

With that said, I believe the kids will be perfectly fine with Club HAL. We have also selected Open time dining (we love it, with or without kids), which should provide us with the flexibility we need.

Once again, thanks for all the responses! :)

It is a touch decision and even though my Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam was my least favorite of 4 - I would tip the scales to the Westerdam. The itinerary is just better in my opinion.

From what I have read your children will do fine on either and Sitka offers some nice excursion options :)

Do both cruises leave from the same port. Leaving from Vancouver is much more scenic than from Seattle....if that matters.

Do both cruises leave from the same port. Leaving from Vancouver is much more scenic than from Seattle....if that matters.

Yes, both are Saturday, Seattle departures. We've already purchased air tickets into Seattle, so that means that we're now choosing only between ships sailing specifically from there on that specific day. (Couldn't pass up on the airfare. $215 round trip from Atlanta, and nonstop!)

You will enjoy Alaska on either ship. However, I think that the Jewel offers better port times - ie Juneau the Jewel is there in the morning - perhaps better wildlife viewing (I have only been there in the PM so not sure). The Jewel also spends more time in Victoria - again more time to see the sights of this wonderful city. Skagway vs Sittka - not sure as I have never been to Sittka - I know there is lots to do and see in Skagway however. I will also agree that Glacier Bay is wondeful - now that I have seen both Tracy Arm and GB I would have to say that both are worth seeing - but for different reasons. I would also highly reccomend the small boat tour of Tracy Arm.

As a side note, on our cruise last summer,we heard more complaints from HAL pax when in port - esp about port timing - it seems that they never made it into port on time causing people to miss tours etc. This could have been a one time thing - but I know that the Pearl and Jewel can make better time - ie they have faster top speeds than some of the HAL ships - including the Oosterdam and Westerdam. During the push from Ketchikan to Victoria on the Pearl we out ran the HAL ship that left at least half an hour before us - and we beat them to Victoria by over an hour.

I'm guessing there were some circumstances that prevented them from arriving on time. Port times are scheduled months in advance and require pilots in and out so the ships often arrive early rather than late.

This would also apply to Victoria and depending on when the ships are expected - some may speed up to reach the harbor at their scheduled time. Unless the ships are in the outside passage they would never sail at full speed either so it really isn't an issue :)

Last summer on the Pearl we were making 20+ kts most of the way from Ketchikan to Victoria (Fri 1:00PM to Sat 6:30 PM) we passed the Oosterdam just before we hit the open ocean - Fri around 3:00PM) We also passed two Princess ships in the strait of Juan De Fuca we beat the Princess ship to Victoria by about 10 min - just enough time for us to get docked before they entered the harbor. The Oosterdam showed up over an hour later - they were supposed to have docked about the same time we did.

As for pilots at Seattle we had a pilot onboard for the harbor/Strait area - they left at Port Angeles, we picked up an Alaskan pilot around Dixon Entrance and he stayed onboard until we returned to Dixon Entrance after leaving Ketchikan. The next pilot was picked up outside Victoria - the boat had at least two as after they dropped ours off they continued on to the Princess ship just behind us. It is also possible that we had a Canada Pilot while we were off the coast - I don't remember.

Archived