Can you use a portable DVD Player??

Poppet1964

I've seen on the 'first time cruiser' board that you can't use a portable DVD player on most cruise lines. I wanted to verify that this is the same on Celebrity (specifically we're cruising on Reflection in a week, but I'm sure all their ships are the same in this regard).

I'm not looking to pull the television apart to get it done, just willing to plug in a few cables :)

I've seen on the 'first time cruiser' board that you can't use a portable DVD player on most cruise lines. ..

Yes, you can use a portable DVD player.

But, as you indicate, it is very difficult if not impossible to play it through the in cabin TVs due to cabling or switching. YMMV.

We actually watch movies on computer or ipad. I used to bring some cables, but could not get them to work on the TV.

Google the make and model of the TV in your room and then look for instructions on how to disable the hotel mode setting, this with restore function to the other inputs. Just make sure you put it back to hotel mode on the last day or the poor soul who has the cabin next will not be able to figure out how to use the TV.

• 4 years later...

I'm hearing impaired and can't watch films unless they're captioned. I'm thinking of taking a dvd player on my next cruise. Obviously it would be better if I can play it through the cabin TV. Guess I can ask, or just put up with using a 12 inch screen! Always surprises me that so many onboard talks and films are inaccessible to people who are hearing impaired. No equal access rules at sea!

Edited by quby33
Spelling error