What Are You Reading?

tuggers

I have about 15 books set aside for the cruise. I leave them where I finish them - airport - ship - hotel.

Kathy Reichs is a good read - forensic pathologist - set in Montreal and North Carolina - the summer job and the winter job.:rolleyes: Also - regency romance. We are on the British Isles and Norwegian Fjords cruise for July 2005, and I am reading Sandra Hill's Viking series - good for a laugh and a hug.

I read serious stuff for work - vacation is for romance and relaxing -

18 days to CRUISE HEAVEN.:D

Thank you all so much for posting all of these books. I know we will be able to find something new to read now :)

As payback:

Most of my non-fiction reading is political which I am not going to list, other than the latest, What's the Matter With Kansas? by Thomas Franks which is a fascinating look at how Kansas changed from being a hot bed of radicalism into one of the most conservative of the states. Other non-fiction includes the David Herbert Donald biography of Lincoln. And just today I picked up David McCullogh's 1776.

But being summer, my husband and I both love to escape into mysteries, including most of the names already mentioned in this thread. I just discovered a new (to us) series by G.A. McKevett about Savannah Reid who solves a Murder a la Mode. Good, light-hearted fun.

Another mystery series favorite, although much darker, are the ones written by Ian Rankin and set in modern day Edinburgh.

Historical fiction by Sharron Kay Pennman or Edward Rutherfurd as well as Dianna Gabaldon.

And of course, the seafaring saga of Captain Jack Aubrey and his friend Stephen Maturin by Patrick O'Brian. I do miss that man...

Happy reading, all! (Have you ever noticed how much like a cruise voyage a good book is?)

abt,

We are also on the July 16, Connie to British Isles. Have you been posting on the roll call? I do not recall seeing your aka. But, I do not post often myself so

I may have missed your posts. Someone has started a site to post photos and misc information about ourselves .... Hope to see you on board, we are in 9038.

Sue

It is just amazing the variety we have have here, it just proves what a diverse group we are. As for those who live on the left coast, yes, you are a bit wierd. LOL actually in the late 50s we bought our first home (1960 I guess) in Covina Calif. DH was in a car pool with 4 other guys, before the days of air conditioning in cars: they drove 26 miles each way to downtown LA and thought noting of it. Our houses were affordable and the neighborhoods safe for our kids even if our spouses left at 6:45am and didn't get home til about 6:30pm. of course none of them ever got stuck working overtime thank goodness. Can you imagine trying to get home if you missed the car pool with no public transportation out that far in those days. WOW!!

Nita

I think all people on the left coast drive extraordinary lengths to get to work! My friend who just moved from San Diego drove like 60 miles each way. Unheard of in my neck of the woods, but pretty common out there!

Gail

ps They're all a little NUTS out there! LOL!

Not all of us! I'm just under 3 miles to work, it takes me all of 5 minutes to get there, including stop lights. DH works 18 miles from home, but takes the toll road and makes it in 20-25 minutes. Living 60 miles from your job is absurd, depending on where you live in S. Cal, it would take you a couple of hours each way. I'd either move, or get a different job close to home.

To answer Gail, I think the majority of people who live in S. Cal have moved here from other states:D

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention books. I absolutely love to read and go through months where I read everything I can get my hands on and dry times where all I read is Cruise Critic, CNN and our local news. Many great suggetions here that I'll be looking for and thanks for all the reccomendations.

I just bought Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich, I hope it's as good as the nine before.

Nu2sea, I just finished 1776 last week -- you're really going to enjoy it. Gives you a whole new perspective on Washington, and on just how close we all came to speaking with British accents today! Also, the parallels between our position in Iraq and the British position in the Revolutionary war is chilling -- the first chapter account of the debate in Parliament on whether to send additional troops America after Lexington and Concord could be a modern account of some of today's Congressional debates.

Leaving on the Zenith next week, and I've loaded my IPOD with "Killer Angels," which I've always wanted to read, "My Life" by Bill Clinton (the abridged version at 6 hours, which will help me decide whether or not to make the committment to the full 24 hour unabridged version), and the last part of "A Brief History of Nearly Everything" which is absolutely fascinating and highly recommended! What would have been three heavy books to lug around now become something I slip in my purse. I have to admit that I was always a bit skeptical of audio books, but since I started using them, it has gotten me back to being the voracious reader I was in my youth. Here in the northeast, you don't need to live very far from work to have a very long commute -- I live no more than eight miles from my office in Manhattan, but my commute ranges from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on traffic. That is now no longer lost time, thanks to audiobooks.

I have posted on the roll call - but that was back about message #300, but I read everyday - just to keep up.

We are doing a precruise in London, so I am going nuts trying to figure out how many books to pack. :confused:

I also like a good science fiction - anything by Anne McCaffrey, or Marianne Bradley.

See you in July -:D

Lizcourt,

I'm looking forward to 1776, but first I have to finish The Emperor of Ocean Avenue which is so much better than I expected that I have a hard time putting it down. It is a mystery about a law professor whose conservative dead father was nominated for the Supreme Court but was brought down by a scandal. What makes it really interesting is how well it reveals the upper middle class African-American experience.

As for My Life, I read that when it first came out. I know it is a long book, but once Clinton gets past his childhood stuff he starts to do a real good job of examining American politics and government. It sometimes felt like he was talking directly to the reader instead of merely writing a book. I don't know quite how to explain it, but if you have the time, it's fascinating reading.

Hi Gail, You ARE every bit as bad as I am! We should be able to trade books in October. Summer reads are generally trashy, fast and easy so I can pop out into the screen porch for a quick break. I will be looking for Andrew Greeley, Olivia Goldsmith (she is sooo funny, remember First Wives Club), Sophie Kinsella, John Grisham, a James Michener (reread), Nicholas Sparks and Maeve Binchy to set aside for the trip.

We used to buy audio books from Books on Tape, but now have an ipod mini-4. We also want to have music on it. My question is, how many books (I know it would depend on length - we like unabridged) will there be space for & what needs happen to load a new book, is there a way to "save" the previous one since you've already paid for it? Any info is appreciated, as I'm "electronically challenged".

Fiction: All books by Clive Cussler, action/adventure, pretty "clean" content.

Also like Perri O'Shaunnesy, also pretty clean & set in the Lake Tahoe & Placerville area.

Non Fiction: Dead by Sunset by Ann Rule.

Men to Match my Mountains by Irving Stone - An historical novel describing the pioneers, the California gold rush (Placerville is approx 8 miles from Sutter's Mill, a gold discovery site) & the building of the railroads.

I have about 15 books set aside for the cruise. I leave them where I finish them - airport - ship - hotel.

Kathy Reichs is a good read - forensic pathologist - set in Montreal and North Carolina - the summer job and the winter job.:rolleyes: Also - regency romance. We are on the British Isles and Norwegian Fjords cruise for July 2005, and I am reading Sandra Hill's Viking series - good for a laugh and a hug.

I read serious stuff for work - vacation is for romance and relaxing -

18 days to CRUISE HEAVEN.:D

15 books for a cruise: for me it's more like 15 pages, I am a slow reader!!! LOL

from Mrs. Boo

Fiction: All books by Clive Cussler, action/adventure, pretty "clean" content.

I was first introduced to Clive Cussler on a thread just like this one some years ago. He has become one of my favorite escape writers. I just adore Dirk Pitt as a hero, kind of a combination Indiana Jones and James Bond. Is there anything that man can't do? :)

Dh was so excited to be docking at Puntarenas (I don't recall which book this is from) on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise in October -- then RCI changed it to anchor at Puerto Caldera. Talk about being disappointed! I told him we could still drive there, but of course "it's not the same".

MrsBoo:

I haven't been using Audible and my iPod too long, but here's what I've found. When you buy a book on Audible, you get it in about 6 hour segments -- the longer the book, the more the segments. Since once you buy an audible book, you can always download it, as many times as you want, from your library on the website, I use that as my "storage," and only download to iTunes whatever segments or full books I want to be currently working on, then delete them when I'm done. As for how much you can get on your mini, I currently have one full book and 338 songs on my iPod mini, and that takes up 1.62 GB of my 4 GB total, so there's really lots and lots of room (good, thing, since I will be downloading two more books before the cruise).

Hope this helps.

Lizcourt

Archived