Latin Gems - Trips

Can anyone recommend which trips are the best for this cruise. I dont mind doing the Thomson trips but also i am quite willing to do my own thing (if you know what i mean) I have already booked Cosol Tours for st Lucia but could do with some recommendations for

Curacao

Margarita

Grenada:)

Can anyone recommend which trips are the best for this cruise. I dont mind doing the Thomson trips but also i am quite willing to do my own thing (if you know what i mean) I have already booked Cosol Tours for st Lucia but could do with some recommendations for

Curacao

Margarita

Grenada:)

Been to Curacao twice. The town of Willemstad where you dock is beautiful, lovely colourful houses and great shopping. I haven't been around the island, but perhaps someone else has.

Margarita - not much there - Thomson are dropping it next winter. There is a lovely beach, but when we were there it was very crowded with locals who were staying at a resort near the beach.

Grenada - We went on the trip called Discover Grenada. We went to a spice estate, then up to the rain forest. We were supposed to see the volcano, but it was too wet to go up there. We then went to Annandale Falls on the way back. A very good trip - about 4 hours.

Agree about Margarita Island. Samll beach, some local craft stalls and a beach bar at the port - but that's literally it. No town or anything else in the vicinity to walk out to. We did the thomson island trip which was ok-ish. At least we had a change of scenery and visited the capital of the isalnd - but there really wasn't much to see. I don't remember seeing any taxis here.

At most Caribbean ports there are plenty of local taxi firm/minibuses doing tours or beach transfers. We picked up a 'disco' bus near the bridge as we walked from the port towards the town centre at Willemstadt. The guy had huge speakers and acted as DJ for the duration. He also had drinks on board and we visited the Curacao distillery - then he dropped some people off at a beach but we continued with an island tour. We saw the beach on the way back and it was gorgeous but sorry I can't tell you which one it was. Another time I'd definitely go for a beach transfer though but give yourself an hour or two to look round Willemstadt too - as Linda says, it's lovley and worth spending a bit of time there. There are soem cafes along the waterfront and pretty painted houses - very photogenic.

Grenada - there is a water taxi near the berth (I think it's left from the port and just a little way along the waterfront - you'll see the jetty) and this takes you to Grand Anse beach which is lovely with plenty of beach furniture for hire. We had a few hours there then when we got back we walked left once we got out onto the main street from the port area, through the road tunnel to the Carenage (harbour waterfront) where we found the Ocean Bar - you'll see it on your right when you get to the water. You can't miss it - it's on stilts sticking out into the water. It was great for a drink. We once picked up a local minibus to do the Falls and Grand Etang tour. It was interesting seeing the lush interior of the isalnd - but the pull of the beach and a beer at Ocean Bar is my favourite thing to do there.

Enjoy!

Thanks evryone for the tips. Cant wait, really looking forward to this cruise. We have never sailed on the Dream and want to get the most out of the fantastic Carribean.

Earlier this year we did the Destiny around the canaries. I paid for all inclusive and spent the holiday trying to make sure i had drunk my monies worth, so this time decided i would spend the money on trips and hope i dont get too thirsty! (fat chance)

Archived