Travel Insurance Question

Hello,

In the past I never purchased travel insurance for my cruise vacation but did for other land travel. We are planning on getting travel insurance this time as my TA was insisting on getting one.

1. Do I have to buy from the TA? or can I shop around for travel insurance. if so, any one you can suggest

2. How many days before the cruise departure date?

3. Is cruise travel insurance different to land travel insurance.

Thanks for your help

No you do not need to buy it from the TA. Compare their coverage to what others are selling. I use the check coverage on insuremytrip.com. I generally buy my insurance within 14 days of the initial payment as most plans require that to cover pre-existing conditions. Cruise insurance is the pretty much the same insurance. I may buy higher evacuation coverage than I would for land travel. Review the different plans and buy according to the coverage that is important to you.

1. Do I have to buy from the TA? or can I shop around for travel insurance. if so, any one you can suggest

Best to shop around and compare . Following are 2 websites to do comparison shopping

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com.

2. How many days before the cruise departure date?

Depends on your personal needs. If you have any pre-exiting medical condition than in order to have the pre-existing condition waiver included the insurance generally has to be purchased 10-14 days from the initial booking date. The actual timing varies between companies and will be stated in the websites stated above. Otherwise it needs to be purchase prior to making your final payment.

3. Is cruise travel insurance different to land travel insurance.

Generally no.

No you do not need to buy it from the TA. Compare their coverage to what others are selling. I use the check coverage on insuremytrip.com. I generally buy my insurance within 14 days of the initial payment as most plans require that to cover pre-existing conditions. Cruise insurance is the pretty much the same insurance. I may buy higher evacuation coverage than I would for land travel. Review the different plans and buy according to the coverage that is important to you.

Thanks a lot

Archived