Driving Nawiliwili/Hilo ports to attractions

cowacali

My first posting to this board and find info I have read very helpful! My husband and I will be arriving via Sappfire Princess 1/26/13 docking 8A-5p at Nawiliwili, and 1/27 9-6p at Hilo ports. We plan to rent cars those 2 ports In Hilo or perhaps from airport area, wonder how long will it take to get to VNP and Lava tube, waterfall, Mac Nut Co, Akatsuka Orchard Garden, Black Sand beach, Jagger Museum. Is it like a one way road/ loop? Further I like to tour Kaui area like Fern Grotto, the Canyon, see Na Pali Coast etc. Do we have enough time to do ourselves to each area? Where can I locate the geographic layout of those attractions. Please advise!

Before every cruise we go on, I research the ports by reading various guide books (Fodors, Frommers, etc.). You can find slightly older ones in your local library and perhaps buy one or two to pack. I also google each port -- just about every port will have a website with tons of info. And I'm sure you'll find plenty of travel websites that also will have info.

My word of advice is to try not to do everything in a port. We've done two Hawaiian cruises (on the Island Princess and the Golden Princess) and planning a third (my hubby and I have also each been to Hawaii on land trips twice), and know that there's no way to do it all in a day. I'm sure you'll love your cruise enough to do it again, especially on Princess.

My first posting to this board and find info I have read very helpful! My husband and I will be arriving via Sappfire Princess 1/26/13 docking 8A-5p at Nawiliwili, and 1/27 9-6p at Hilo ports. We plan to rent cars those 2 ports In Hilo or perhaps from airport area, wonder how long will it take to get to VNP and Lava tube, waterfall, Mac Nut Co, Akatsuka Orchard Garden, Black Sand beach, Jagger Museum. Is it like a one way road/ loop? Further I like to tour Kaui area like Fern Grotto, the Canyon, see Na Pali Coast etc. Do we have enough time to do ourselves to each area? Where can I locate the geographic layout of those attractions. Please advise!

Thes books are very good references with lots of photos / great maps and information. I put the Amazon link to Kauai. They have them for each island. It loooks like you can get them on Kindles also.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kauai-Guidebook-Revealed/dp/0981461085/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354692540&sr=1-1&keywords=kuaui+revealed

.... wonder how long will it take to get to VNP and Lava tube, waterfall, Mac Nut Co, Akatsuka Orchard Garden, Black Sand beach, Jagger Museum.

Google maps is a great place to map out your route. e.g. for the Big Island here's a map starting and ending in Hilo (F) and going to the Orchid Garden, VNP (where the lava tube and Jaggar Museum are), Punaluu Beach (black sand) and Akaka Falls Park.

I think it's too much to do on your port day, so would research each site (loads of info via a google search if you don't have a guide book) and determine priorities and how much time you'll need/want at each location.

Thanks for all the input Susan-M Cruisin' Chick and Blue Riibbon Cruiser. I may try to join local tour in Maui, and Hilo and try to drive to Kaui attractions then. Though in Honolulu, we'll probably try to take local bus to sight see around!

Thanks for all the input Susan-M Cruisin' Chick and Blue Riibbon Cruiser. I may try to join local tour in Maui, and Hilo and try to drive to Kaui attractions then. Though in Honolulu, we'll probably try to take local bus to sight see around!

You will see and be able to plan more with a car in Hilo. The drive to Volcano National park is best on your own, you can linger, or move on depending on YOUR interests. The Mac nut stop is quick, 30 minutes is a long time, if you don't shop. :) Same with the orchids, also the Volcano winery could be stoped at.

IF you are off the ship early and on your way by 9am, you should be able to fit much more in compared to any tour. The Black sand beach, I wouldn't count on, and don't know how long it would take for the Jagger Museum, but the rest you likely could visit.

Same with Maui- easy to see a lot with self driving. What are your interests here?

Thanks for the advise! I will also look into renting a car for Hilo and Maui ports. I have looked into tours for Volcano National Park and Taste of Maui which covers Road to Hana in Maui. I wonder how long it takes to cover the attractions / sight seeing for the latter. if we were to do it on our own! Any advise as to the itinery.

You are best to plan on the whole day for the drive to Hana. It is loaded with places to stop at. Fodor's Hawaii, has a good guide to look at for the drive. Head to your library for a copy. As an example, It is "tricky" if you want to find Lindburghs grave, which is past Hana. Look for a tiny sign on the left for Palapala Ho‘omau Congregational Church. around mile 41. :)

I wonder how long it takes to cover the attractions / sight seeing for the latter. if we were to do it on our own! Any advise as to the itinery.

Re the Road to Hana: the driving time alone would be about 6 hours from Lahaina to O'heo Gulch (past Hana) and back ... I'm not sure I would tackle that with 11 hours in port and needing to allow time to get the rental, drop it off and get back to the ship via tender. There are lots of other beautiful sights on Maui that don't require that amount of driving time.

Archived