Questions from a newbie - what to plan

luv2travel13

Hey all!

I am going solo on the Celebrity Constellation Jan 26th. (I will technically be with a 'conference' group). This is my first ever cruise & I have a couple of questions. The conference I am going with has 2 sessions on sea days, and 1 on port days. Other than that I am completely on my own - no planned group excursions or anything.

So my question is this: would I be wasting an opportunity if I stayed on ship? I looked at the excursions available, and while some of them sound fun, I think they would be more fun if I was with a friend/family member/etc. I am hesitant about being completely alone in a foreign country. LOL What would you recommend as a good excursion - is there one that I should not pass up? (ie: zip lining, climbing a falls, seeing stingrays, day at the beach, caves, etc.)

Also, I see that there is a soda package available. Would it be cheaper in the long run to pay for that or to buy soda if/when I want one? (I will be bringing my own water bottle.)

Thanks for anything you can help me with. Unfortunately this particular conference does seem very organized, as neither the travel agency or the group can answer any questions for me. I have a ton more, but will start with these two. :)

We no longer book excursions, and often don't even get off the ship. There is so much to enjoy on the ship! The pools and pool deck are usually really quiet on port days, the spa will offer "port day" specials, the gym will be wide open, the buffet will have plenty of space. The main dining room usually isn't open for lunch on port days, but buffet and some of the bars are open.

Depending on the port, you may want to just get off the ship and wander around. Some of the ports have areas that are perfectly safe for a bit of wandering. These will usually be shopping areas with typical tourist stuff, but if you're looking for souvenirs you can pick up a few things.

If you don't drink a LOT of soda (like 4 or more a day), buy them as you want them. Or if you get off the ship pick up a couple of bottles at a drug or grocery store.

I wouldn't feel at all guilty about staying on board. :)

I see you have made a good start by joining your roll call:) I would get involved and find out if anyone is arranging tours at your ports that you can join. Also, have a look at the "Ports of Call" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587 and find out what other cruisers have been doing. Have a wonderful cruise - I am sure your will make friends on board.

So most people will want to know more info abou your cruise to answer your questions. Look like you're on a 5 night from Miami stopping in Falmouth Jamaica and Georgetown, Grand Cayman. Which port are you in conference for?

I haven't been to Falmouth, but have enjoyed Grand Cayman a couple of times. I would definitely take an excurion there. My two times there I did excursions which included swimming with the stingrays. There are also some fun places to see on the island. So check out the board on "ports" and read up on that.

You might also want to try the "connections" board to see who else is on your same cruise, and may have excursions planned. You may have some new friends to go with.

As far as the soda package goes, it just really depends on how much soda you drink. I've only had a soda package once, and didn't feel it was necessary for me. They have "free" ice tea and other non-carbonated beverages available on ship in the buffet area. You should compare how many sodas you think you'll drink per day against the price of the package. It's usually at least 5 sodas per day to warrant the price.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I've cruised solo and 'almost solo'. Some of this depends on your personality and your interests.

On one occasion, I was 'almost' solo because I was traveling with a friend on her young daughter. I often chose to be on my own during the day. It was my first cruise plus it was a holiday cruise with many family groups. Not being a 'lay by the pool' kind of person, I would just find a corner where I could read. I was SO BORED and I decided cruising was not for me.

My next cruise was much better and I was hooked. On my solo cruise adventures, I tend to take a ship's excursion or meet up with others on the roll call to share private excursions. One of my all-time favorite ship excursions was in Grand Cayman. I was cruising solo on that trip, so I booked through the ship. We went to the home where the Caymans declared their independence from Jamaica/Britain, and we visited the botanical garden. There were several people on the excursion who were doing this tour with the rest of their group did something else....

If the spa's port day specials or laying by the pool are appealing and relaxing to you, then staying onboard may be a wonderful option.

I found other ways to connect with people onboard. I'd find a place to listen to music before dinner ... If I wanted to enjoy a drink before dinner, I'd sit at the bar rather than by myself at a table.

Just some ideas from my experiences ..

You will find plenty to keep you occupied either on or off ship. Grand Cayman is a beautiful place, we did a half day excursion there to Hell, yes it is a place!, a turtle conservation farm, and a local shop that made their own Tortuga rum cake, really interesting day. Then spent a while just mooching around the port and the shops there, also there is a gorgeous beach if you just want to have a lazy day and swim. Enjoy your trip.

A lot of people will tell you not to book ship's excursion, but I don't agree. Especially as a solo traveler, you will find other people from the ship so you will not be 'alone.' You may find you make friends with other cruisers and can go about with them. Also, there is a certain security about ship's tours as far as returning on time. But, if you just want to wander around, Grand Cayman is easiest. The stingray trip there is definitely worthwhile if you can swim.

As a solo traveller, ship excursions make sense. If you're going to be in grand cayman, do the sting ray city tour (either with or without the snorkeling stop).....everyone should do it once. As far as the other stops, if you want to see the country, do an excursion. It's probably not worth getting an excursion to the beach...but there are usually excursions to see the sites. You'll find that the folks on excursions, like the folks on the cruise, are very friendly...you won't be out of place as a solo. You'll naturally pair up with someone on the excursion for any fun thiings.

I wouldn't just sit on the ship....

Archived