Port Douglas vs Cairns

Lisette

My husband and I are booked on the April 2nd 2006 diamond princess Auckland to Sydney cruise and were looking at princess pretour #4 vs #6 one visits Port Douglas and visits the barrier reef and the other visits the barrier reef from Cairns, does anyone have any advice as to which is the better starting point to visit the reef. Thanks for any info

DH & I are on the same cruise. We are scheduled to leave Sydney on 4/20; which gives us 6 days. Im looking at 3 nights in Port Douglas - smaller and closer to the reef and 3 in Sydney. So we will skip the Outback - unless United can change our departure date and still put us on business class miles.

But I think we will do it on our own. I think Princess prices are too much.

I think you would be happier in Port Douglas. Cairns is a small city- a nice one- but still a city. Port Douglas is more village like (still has lots of places to eat) and there is easier access to the Daintree, Mossman etc. Also, some trips to the reef from Cairns do a pick up in Port Douglas on the way so you cut out that extra travelling time to the reef. Sue

My vote is also for Port Douglas. It's a lovely place to spend a few days - very relaxing and with an abundance of terrific restaurants. And it's location to the GBR and rainforests is superb.

It's an easy and pleasant 1.5 hour drive from Cairns airport.

We have chosen to stay in Port Douglas on our 3 week tour of Au in Sept. Do any of you have a recommendation for a snorkeling tour out of PD? We would prefer a smaller crowd than on something like Quicksilver.

Happy Cruising!

Janet

Janet,

I believe you have made the right choice in choosing Port Douglas over Cairns. We have just returned from two weeks up there. We had one week in Port Douglas and a week at Trinity Beach which is closer to Cairns but still 15kms away. Cairns is just a big city with lots of traffic whereas Port Douglas is a beautiful resort town with lots of great restaurants, good shops and a 4 mile beach which you can ride bikes on and lots of charm.

It was our first visit after 20 years and even though it has changed a lot, it is still a delightful place to stay.

Here is a website which may help you regarding a smaller snorkelling experience.

http://www.wavelength.com.au/

Hope this helps.

Jennie

We have chosen to stay in Port Douglas on our 3 week tour of Au in Sept. Do any of you have a recommendation for a snorkeling tour out of PD? We would prefer a smaller crowd than on something like Quicksilver.

Happy Cruising!

Janet

Janet,

DH is a diver and he liked Habadive.

There are a few dive companies in the area. Walk down main street in Port Douglas and you'll see plenty of ads.

In case you're interested in some restaurants for Port Douglas........

Our favorites are: Nautilus and 4FISH and the Salsa bar.

We always stay in a resort about a half hour away from Port D called Silky Oaks Lodge. Depending on your time, it would be a nice place to visit for a leisurely lunch in the rainforest.

Definitely take a private jeep tour of the rainforest. It's a Don't Miss!

Jane

• 2 months later...
My husband and I are booked on the April 2nd 2006 diamond princess Auckland to Sydney cruise and were looking at princess pretour #4 vs #6 one visits Port Douglas and visits the barrier reef and the other visits the barrier reef from Cairns, does anyone have any advice as to which is the better starting point to visit the reef. Thanks for any info

lisette

if you have limited time in Cairns (1day etc) port douglas is a long trip option it takes 1 hour each way ( you can do one by coach and one by boat back to cairns)..but boat wont arrive till 6.30 or so pm

.there are many excursions to the reef from the Pier in Cairns. If you want an Island trip try Big Cat Green Island (this is an inner reef trip and snorkelling will be mainly soft coral ) they have an underwater observatory and a reef walk as well...Fitzroy Island has nice secluded beaches, soft corals an old resort on the beachfront with a pool with public access. To see the Great Barrier Reef you need to go to the OUTER reef. The best reef trips IMHO are on the Ocean Spirit to Michaelmas Cay or the Australian Spirit which are large catarmarans and offer snorkelling and diving at incredible sites on a coral cay... there ar also dive boats that take snorkellers that will go to the edge of the reef in a short time and give you the best available if you dont mind travelling in a smaller boat. Frankland Island trip is amazing also...it is south of cairns but unspoilt and well worth the money. Might not fit the cruise schedule though.

Port Douglas has many boat trips to the reef Quicksilver takes big groups 300 or so at a time to a small pontoon...better choices are Poiseidon...a family owned boat they have an office on main street in Port.

Contact me direct if you like

nokaoi4u@msn.com

Port Douglas was fantastic. I would highly recommned Haba dive boats for snorkel or scuba...small groups and fabulous service. The town is great. restaurants and wonderful. Please do not leave the area without dining on a fish called baramundi.....it is very much like halibut....I had it in a champagne sauce......something that makes my mouth water to this day...and I am a meat eater.....

Would I go back to PD...in a heart beat. The drive from Cairns is upthe coast with great sights....would I stay in Cairns...no when PD is sooooo much nicer.

I did a 5 day stay there after a 8 day Sydney Mardi Gras stay. I hope to go on a cruise from New Zealand in 2007 and then fly to PD for a stay...it was that nice.

All the best.

Tom

Archived