Mexican Riviera Review

dpeck

Our ship tendered in Cabo. We intended to go to the beach and relax. After getting to shore there was a tourist information center, where we received a map. This was just a front for a time share.

We walked to Medano beach. I wouldn't recommend walking. The walk passes many shops and restaurants where we were "invited" to come inside. We chose to keep walking, with our intention to go to the beach restaurant, The Office. This restaurant's sign is small and easy to miss. We had a few beers and lunch. Service was excellent. Prices were very reasonable.

We had a table closest to the shore, and the peddlers were constantly coming right up to our table. It became impossible to have a conversation because we were constantly stopping to say, "No." The beach was relatively empty, and at times there were more peddlers than tourists. There were signs that stated that no peddlers were allowed in the area of the tables, but this was not inforced.

For a few dollars, we took a water taxi back, which we wish we would have done going. After tipping the driver, three boys helped us out of the boat. We had no small bills or change left, and when we didn't tip the boys, they started yelling at us that they helped us and we should tip them. They continued yelling the whole time we walked away.

We looked at some of the shops, and then went back to the tender.

Cabo was not my idea of a relaxing place. It was my least favorite port.

Mazatlan.

We went on the tour with Randi's Happy Horses. We met her at 8:30, took an open taxi/truck to the pier. Then we took a water taxi to Stone Island. We took another taxi/truck through the town to get to the stables. I enjoyed seeing the houses up close. People were very friendly, waving and smiling.

There were 8 riders plus two guides. The horses were clean and very well cared for. The saddles were in good condition. We were paired with horses for our ability, and then the adventure began. I have maybe ridden five times in my life, so I was a little nervous, but once we started, I felt totally at ease. We walked through a tree area to get to the beach. It was fantastic. The beach was so clean and beautiful. Not a person in sight. We got to walk and "trot". It was ok if you didn't want to go fast. The guides were friendly and patient.

We rode out horses to Victor's Restaurant, where Randi bought the first round. Some of us ordered food. The prices were reasonable. The staff was friendly.

After getting back, we paid the same taxi driver to take us and pick us up at the El Cid Hotel. We spent a few hours relaxing by the pool. The pool has a slide and waterfall. It was a nice end to the day. The taxi driver was right on time. We loved our day in Mazatlan.

Puerto Vallarta.

We wanted to go to Los Muertos Pier to get a water taxi. We went to the taxi area at the pier. There are signs that state the price for different areas. We got in the van and the driver made us get out because he didn't want to take only two people. He offered us another cab for a few more dollars than the stated price.

We walked away from the pier and got a cab for the stated price. At the pier, we bought our roundtrip tickets for $17 each to Yelapa. The speedboat ride took less than an hour, making a few stops to deliver mail to some boats and let out workers onto the tour boats. The ride was fast, windy, and lots of fun.

We arrived in Yelapa, and the boat driver's brother took a group of us on a walking tour of the island. It was fantastic. We got to walk through the cobblestone paths, and really get to see how the islanders live. He took us to a waterfall. It was still dry season, so there wasn't much water, but the area was beautiful. There was an open air bar there and we ordered a raicilla, which is a moonshine made on the island. It is supposed to have hypnotic qualities. It tasted smooth and good, but didn't make us feel any different than any shot of alcohol. The way you can tell that you are getting real raicilla is when the bottle is shaken, the liquid should cloud up then clear. If it doesn't cloud up, it is watered down. We went to the beach and went to a restaurant. I don't remember the name. We had a few beers and ate lunch. The water was slightly cooler than I would have liked. There were just a few peddlers compared to Cabo.

We went back by water taxi and took a cab to El Nogalito. This is an open air restaurant. Behind the restaurant is a river that you follow to a waterfall. It takes an hour and a half and we didn't have time because the restaurant was going to close in an hour, so we hiked a little, and stopped in at the restaurant for a beer. The restaurant was gorgeous. The staff treated us like family. There were iguanas in the trees around the perimeter, which the waiters were happy to point out. There were also beautiful birds that would take chips that were left on a ledge close by. I wish we could have had more time to explore and eat.

Even though we were in port until 11PM, we were exhausted and went back to the ship.

Archived