ATLANTA airport/flights

luvs2cruzga

We will be taking a Dover to Dover flight next June with air included. Does anyone know which airlines Oceania uses between London and England? I assume we will be flown into London. Can anyone confirm that too? Do they usually book non-stop flights or stops in which cities? I am trying to decide whether I should book my own flights using FF miles or use their air deviation. Any help would be appreciated.

Oceania will book you on any carrier where it can find inexpensive seats - most likely on British Airways, American, Delta, or United. You won't be able to find a nonstop between Hartsfield (Atlanta) and Heathrow (London), so you'll have to change planes at Dulles, Logan, O'Hare, or someplace on the continent.

You won't be able to find a connecting flight between Heathrow and Dover, so if you don't let Oceania arrange your air and transfers, you'll have to either catch a train from Charing Cross or Victoria Station to Dover, or hire a private driver. BritishAirportCars.co.uk is currently asking L143 for a station wagon, L180 for a minivan, or L235 for a full-size passenger van between the airport and the pier. My recommendation is to try to use this and other boards to find other passengers willing to split the cost with you.

Also, consider what degree of comfort would you need for a trans-Atlantic flight. Excursion fare seats are traditionally near the rear of the aircraft, and are so discounted that it's nearly impossible to upgrade to business class. If you use your FF miles, at least you may receive some recognition from the airline as a frequent flyer if a possible upgrade opens up, and by arranging your own flight, you can get an air credit from Oceania towards your cruise fare.

Richard

Richard

wrote in part:

Does anyone know which airlines Oceania uses between London and England? I assume we will be flown into London.

huh?

;-)

Delta's hub is Atlanta so you can probably get a direct flight into Gatwick which is closer than Heathrow to Dover.. ( unless you are staying pre-cruise in London.

If you want to use FF miles for the entire airfare (not just as an upgrade), make sure you book the flight as soon as you can. The travel industry standard is 330 days before the day of travel. FF travel to international destinations is very popular, and if you want to use the least amount of miles you need to book this far ahead.

I tried to book FF business class from LAX to Sydney, returning Auckland to LAX in Feb, 2006. I booked about 315 days in advance, and was very lucky to get coach.

Even if you do use FF miles, I would talk to your travel agent about double booking cruise line airfare as well, just in case the airline you have FF miles with is no longer flying a year from now. Not sure about Oceania, but with HAL you get air travel priority based on when you make your reservation, and you can drop the cruise line airfare before final payment is due.

You can do that with Oceania..if you take the air they provide..if you want any special flights or days there is a $50 or more charge per person depending on which flights you choose which is NOT refundable..so be careful..

Jan

Archived