Do you tip extra?

Think what you want but I am not going to give someone money just because they have a family to take care of. Now if they give good service I will tip (or pull the tip if it is prepaid and I get bad service) if they give better then expected service I will give extra. Every single person on that ship from the employee to the guest is their of their own free will. I feel no pity for someone who does something willingly. I tip for service at a level above basic.

I had MTD so had prepaid tips.

At the end of the cruise, our room attendant got $50AUD and a particular barman got $50AUD.

I also tipped a dollar or two on every drink. I figured they were good, tasty, and cheap. and even with the extra tip still cheaper than back home.

It may be excessive for some, but I was in a fantastic holiday mood and they contributed to that.

This does not mean I will tip in the same manner in the future, though.

thank god people thought differintly about sandy and gave to red cross and other charities but your poor cabin servant just did his job oh god forbid he lives and needs a little money for his family I hope the people from sandy don't feel like you. Get off your high horse and give and ia'm a conservative. Just because they get grat.for their job dose not make ideal for them come on man give them what they deserve. I give them an extra 20% on top of the bill and i spend time talking to them about family job i would like to know what you do or what you did do.

I don't understand why you singled me out in your message title. Lots of others have said the same thing that I did, which is that the suggested tips are adequate, and there is no need to tip extra unless you really want to. It's not like I said I gave a reduced amount, or no tip at all. How does this put me on a "high horse" and what does this have to do with Sandy?

I stand firm in my belief that the recommended tip is a very generous amount for a job well done. I gave examples of when we've tipped extra, when a specific person did something very special and outside of the normal realm of their job.

You must be made of money, because for our family (including children) the suggested tips add $400-500 to our vacation cost. We happily pay that amount and definitely agree that the staff has earned it, but I do not feel an obligation or pressured by folks like you to give extra on top of that. This doesn't make us unfriendly towards the staff, as you imply...we are just practical, and I'm sure the staff is happy to have received the full suggested amount from us as I'm sure many give less or skip out on tipping entirely.

Archived