Excursions in Hawaii

DKobler

We are booked on the April 6, 2006 sailing of the Island Princess to Hawaii out of LA.

Just curious if anyone who has sailed this cruise can give me advise on a luau and also a recommendations for helicopter sight seeing tours or any other tours that you would consider "MJST DO"?

Thanks for your help.

David

Just got back last week. We loved the zipline in Maui!!!! That was one of the most fun shore excursions we've ever done. We also took the helicopter over the volcano in Hawaii, it was very interesting.

The "best" luau in Hawaii is The Old Lahaina Luau! Unfortunately it doesn't look like you will be on Maui late enough to be able to enjoy it :( ! My suggestion if you really have to do a luau would be to take the tour to the Polynesian Cultural Center while visiting Oahu and take in their luau. The luau itself is not that great but learning about the culture and seeing the dances of the different island groups makes it all worthwhile!

For the helicopter tour choose one on either Kauai (the only easy way to see Na Pali) or on The Big Island (a chance to fly over the live volcanos) !

The Road to Hana drive on Maui is a looooong day on a road with too many curves and one lane bridges to count....though I think some have tried :) ! It is a beautiful and scenic trip but if I only had one day on Maui and wanted to see some beautiful scenery I would rent a car and drive Upcountry...perhaps even going to the top of Haleakala. The views are spectacular and you could take in the Tedeschi Winery, visit the little town of Makawao and perhaps have enough time leftover at the end of the day to stroll along Front Street in Lahaina.

You will have a wonderful cruise. Aloha!!

Archived