Airport to Isla Verde. Taxi?

Pack My Bags

We are doing a 2 night pre stay at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde before our February cruise. CAN'T WAIT!! There are 3 of us traveling, so we are combining the costs. We have arranged for RCCL shuttles to take us from the pier BACK to the airport for the return home, but unsure about our arrival since we are coming in early.

We have a few questions... :rolleyes:

1. How long is a cab ride from the Airport to Isla Verde & about how much will it cost? :confused:

2. How long is a cab ride from Isla Verde to the Ship Pier & about how much will it cost? :confused:

3. If a taxi is not the best way, does anyone know of any shuttle services or credible transportation Cos. that offer this ride?

4. Where is the Waterfront & shops according to Isla Verde? How is it best accessible from our hotel?

Thanks & Happy Sailing! :D

We are doing a 2 night pre stay at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde before our February cruise. CAN'T WAIT!! There are 3 of us traveling, so we are combining the costs. We have arranged for RCCL shuttles to take us from the pier BACK to the airport for the return home, but unsure about our arrival since we are coming in early.

We have a few questions... :rolleyes:

1. How long is a cab ride from the Airport to Isla Verde & about how much will it cost? :confused:

2. How long is a cab ride from Isla Verde to the Ship Pier & about how much will it cost? :confused:

3. If a taxi is not the best way, does anyone know of any shuttle services or credible transportation Cos. that offer this ride?

4. Where is the Waterfront & shops according to Isla Verde? How is it best accessible from our hotel?

Thanks & Happy Sailing! :D

I wouldn't bother with the shuttle because taxis are the easiest and cheapest way to get around. If you can cancel the shuttle, I would.

The airport is in Isla Verde, so a taxi fare to your hotel should be for one zone which is either $9 or $10 plus $1 per bag. This fee is per taxi, not per person. When you walk out of the airport, you just walk straight to the taxi stand where someone will give you a ticket with the taxi fare and lead you to a waiting cab- super fast and simple. You will be at your hotel in a matter of minutes.

It is about a 15-20 minute ride from your hotel to the ship pier and it is a total of 3 zones for the taxi, which is $19 per taxi, plus $1 per bag. Again, super easy and cheap compared to ship shuttle services. You should grab a cab back to the airport when you return as well- much easier than waiting around for a shuttle bus to fill up (and taxis costs less).

I can't help you with waterfont shops in Isla Verde, but if you don't find an answer here, I'm sure the hotel staff can help you. I recommend that you take a taxi to Old San Juan (again, $19) which is an excellent and scenic walkable city that is full of shops and restaurants. You really want to make sure you spend some time there. The best way to get around in OSJ is to get a walking map (you can pick one up in many of the local shops). There is also a free trolley that you can get on and off throughout the city.

Have a great trip!

RCI offers the pre-check in option so we usually do that on our return home. We will probably keep those return shuttles so we don't need to handle our baggage.

Thanks for the info. It was a big help.

I must admit that not handling the baggage makes your return flight a good bit easier! We used that option a few years back where RCI handled the bags, but we took a taxi to the airport. We still had to go down to the customs area and take our bags through customs, then we returned them to RCI for the pre-check in option. Unfortunately, my bag got misdirected and it took 9 days to finally get home. I'm not sure where the mix-up occured though (RCI or the airline). I would just make sure that the claim tag they give you to affix to your luggage the night before is correct.

Enjoy!

I must admit that not handling the baggage makes your return flight a good bit easier! We used that option a few years back where RCI handled the bags, but we took a taxi to the airport. We still had to go down to the customs area and take our bags through customs, then we returned them to RCI for the pre-check in option. Unfortunately, my bag got misdirected and it took 9 days to finally get home. I'm not sure where the mix-up occured though (RCI or the airline). I would just make sure that the claim tag they give you to affix to your luggage the night before is correct.

Enjoy!

Are you talking about Luggage Valet? I used that on my last cruise out of SJ but I thought that was no longer offered in SJ?

Are you talking about Luggage Valet? I used that on my last cruise out of SJ but I thought that was no longer offered in SJ?

That's quite possible I was talking about luggage valet- It's been a few years since we sailed RCI out of San Juan. It sounds like you are using a different option that I'm not familiar with. If you use a pre-check in option, are you required to take a shuttle to the airport? I assume that perhaps you and your luggage travel together via shuttle, which is different from the option we used.

After our luggage got lost (and mine, destroyed), we decided to haul our own luggage from now on, but that can sometimes be a heavy load to deal with; especially since we always come home with much more than we bring!

That's quite possible I was talking about luggage valet- It's been a few years since we sailed RCI out of San Juan. It sounds like you are using a different option that I'm not familiar with. If you use a pre-check in option, are you required to take a shuttle to the airport? I assume that perhaps you and your luggage travel together via shuttle, which is different from the option we used.

After our luggage got lost (and mine, destroyed), we decided to haul our own luggage from now on, but that can sometimes be a heavy load to deal with; especially since we always come home with much more than we bring!

What I used was called Luggage Valet. I think the cost was $20 per person. You put your luggage out in the hall the night before debarkation as normal, but, with Luggage Valet you do not see your luggage again until your home airport. So nice to not have to be bothered with luggage post cruise. I have used this on any cruise it was offered but I thought I read it was no longer available in SJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived