What else to do??? Ideas Please!!!

goofynewfymom

Hi All!

We are sailing on Mercury June 24 and will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. This will be our 3rd AK cruise. In Juneau we have previously done kayaking and the Mendenhall Glacier...in Skagway, dogsledding and a hike and float, and in Ketchikan, fishing and kayaking. I would love to try something new and different and would appreciate hearing all your ideas and experiences. Thanks so much, Stephanie

Hey Tuna

Dogsledding was "ok"...did it on land and the actual "sledding" part wasn't that great...but meeting the pups and the man that actually runs the dogs in a Iditarod like, but more challenging race (according to him), was fascinating...just talking to him truly gave you a glimpse into what life is like for someone who chooses to live this sport...one of my favorite experiences in AK.

You are best to look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. With prior visits to Alaska you should at least have some ideas??? There are way too many excellent tours to recommend, with a priority list you will at least get more detailed information.

Hi BQ,

You have been such a terrific help to all of us out there...just wanted to say thanks...booked a Guide's Choice hike with Gastineua...it's a 3-4 mile hike...really excited about that...they said they saw bears right on the trail this week...just sitting there! I've been chased by one

on the Appalachian Trail...was hiking with my big black Newf who looks amazingly bear-like! Anyway, would do more hiking up in AK...on the wait list with Southeat Kayaks for the Orca's Cove trip...can you recommend any horseback riding, biking, or the like, trips? I see there is a good 6 hour horseback trip, but I wonder if it's raining like usual if it will be much fun...same with biking...but you know best, so I would appreciate your input...and anyone else that would like to join in! Stef

Biking is nice out of Skagway with a trekk out toward Dyea, very very scenic. There is some construction going on, but no big delays. I would ask for updated information from Murray- Yukon.

Hi BQ,

Thanks for the suggestion...do you have a link or a complete name for Yukon? I tried to find it on other skagway sites, but couldn't. I did see a excursion on the sockeye cycle web site that went towards Dyea...sounds nice. Would like to book through your recommendation tho...thanks! Stefi

Hi BQ,

Thanks for the suggestion...do you have a link or a complete name for Yukon? I tried to find it on other skagway sites, but couldn't. I did see a excursion on the sockeye cycle web site that went towards Dyea...sounds nice. Would like to book through your recommendation tho...thanks! Stefi

Yukon is a poster on this board. It is also easy to just bike on your own. I drove there a few weeks ago.

Archived