onshore wifi??

superstew

Don't recall specific locations, but confident there are ample hot-spot cafes etc. onshore close to local docking area....some may require a small $ purchase or nominal cost to get pass code...in addition, much more reasonable cost and faster than on ship.

Earlier this year, we did a Princess cruise from LA to Hawaii and back. It was 14 days and we were given an amount of Wi Fi time on the ships computers. It was painstakingly slow. It was fortunate that there was a coffee bar in the computer room.

OK now the question. We are staying in a Penthouse Suite on the Riviera and as such, I understand there is a laptop in the cabin. (Perhaps an I Pad, depending on weather the change was made) Will that cabin Wi Fi be slow? Also, I believe that if I bring my own I Pad and sign-up for Verizon's coverage for the month, I would have to pay Oceania for cell usage. Comments/Corrections?

Earlier this year, we did a Princess cruise from LA to Hawaii and back. It was 14 days and we were given an amount of Wi Fi time on the ships computers. It was painstakingly slow. It was fortunate that there was a coffee bar in the computer room.

OK now the question. We are staying in a Penthouse Suite on the Riviera and as such, I understand there is a laptop in the cabin. (Perhaps an I Pad, depending on weather the change was made) Will that cabin Wi Fi be slow? Also, I believe that if I bring my own I Pad and sign-up for Verizon's coverage for the month, I would have to pay Oceania for cell usage. Comments/Corrections?

Oceania's Internet service has improved considerably recently, but is still much slower than you will be used to in the United States via a land line.

We found that off hour usage (i.e. VERY late at night) was when the the service was almost as fast as dial-up at home.

If your Verizon Service is anything like ours, it will not work while the ship is

at sea, and the land based service varies WILDLY from continent to continent.

Thanks to Jim & Stan. I sort of expected your answer but thankful for your conformation. We are retired and nothing is that important. I will check my e-mail, on my phone, while in port and that will suffice.

You guys are the "go to guys" on thi site. I should have emailed you direct. Thanks for you time.

Jim

I have used several sites to look up internet cafe locations around the world when travelling/cruising. Most information is correct and have had no problems finding them from maps etc on these sites. Free - hotspots/wifi links below. Hope this helps but not a lot listed for the ports you are visiting. But there are many many more web sites - just google "free wifi world wide: I am doing 2 B2B's in March in the same area so was interested to check them out. Also Trip Advisor has some listed in most countries.

http://www.free-hotspot.com/index.php?lang=en

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/tp/wifihotspotfind.htm

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/08/the-definitive-guide-to-finding-free-wi-fi/

If we see any crew members leaving the ship at the same time as us, we ask them where the nearest wi-fi spot is - they always seem to know :).

You beat me to it! I always follow the crew members - at least for a little way! They're usually headed to wifi spots and know where they are!

Archived