changing currency for Baltic ports for the UK traveller

Can anybody from the UK who has been or is due to go on a Baltic Cruise (we're booked on Star Princess) give advice on the best way of changing currency for the various port stops (particularly St Petersburg). Most of the information I've read seems to refer to using/changing Dollars etc. Obviously this information is aimed at/from the American cruisers so I Would be really grateful to hear from someone who can give some advice for the British traveller.

3490 Rubles (RUB) = £1,997.71

$1.7470000.00 USD is a fair exchange rate. Buy Rubles on line with GBP. Here is the website:

https://www.travelmoneyonline.americanexpress.com/b2c/default.aspx?r=GB&f=aZx2mb56wWq0Ge9kLty3&c=normal&p=step1&a=&a2=&a3=&a4=

Also, try Thomas Cook or Travelex.

http://www.travelex.co.uk/contacts/default.asp

I ordered my Rubles from Travelex.

• 1 month later...

Dear Torty

We are on Star Princess on the 13th August and have just finally decided on what to do, after having visited so many interesting and informative threads (Roll Call and Baltic Ports were particularly useful)

Under the Baltic Ports thread there is message from Bollinge who advises getting a Nationwide Card. Having read about that I went straight into Bristol and arranged one for our trip. It will certainly save us a fortune in bank charges. With the card I organised we even get cash back on purchases (i.e. spend so much and get a percentage back) - can't be bad eh?

Hope you have a good trip - I see from your message you will be boarding as we disembark! We are still trying to find if there are any other British passengers on our date.

If you want any information as to where I found all the information you can E-mail me at harrad.2@tiscali.co.uk.

I have added comments in various threads under the headings mentioned above. You may like to look up the report from cruisemom42 under the Cruise Member Review section - really helpful.

Happy Sailings

Regards

Suzanne (Suron):) :)

Archived