Rome hotel for family of 6

Tokyo Mom

We will be taking our kids (17, 19, 21 & 23) on a cruise in June (Navigator of the Seas June 2 - 9) and would like to spend 3 nights in Rome at the end of our cruise. My husband and I were in Rome this past July (on Oceania) and stayed at the Albergo Cesari and loved it but only paid $146 a night and the only rooms I see there for June 9 - 12 are nearly $300 a night. Any advice on a hotel for the six of us that won't break the bank?

Thanks so much - Michelle

Not really, but for a family of 6 (pretty much all adults or at least adult sized) I would suggest renting an apartment since you will be staying 3 nights.

You might want to check it out before dismissing the idea as you will be surprised how much room you can get AND SAVE MONEY over a hotel.

We rented a 3 bedroom apartment literally steps from the Pantheon (on Via Seminario which is the street that runs down the side of Albergo del Senato hotel. We had stayed there previously and loved the location. When we walked out the front door and looked left the Pantheon was right there.

We also stayed 3 nights and saved big bucks over 3 hotel rooms. Plus we had a nice kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a living room/dining area and an office with free wifi. There was a really nice grocery very close and we had breakfast in the apartment (in our jammies) and then headed out for a full day of sightseeing. It was nice to have the common areas to sit and watch t.v. and just have space for us without having to be in one room all sitting on a bed.

Just a thought. It is almost guaranteed to be cheaper than hotel rooms.

We have rented thru VRBO, Homeaway and SleepinItaly as we have done this in quite a few countries.

Also: June is high season and prices will be at their highest no matter what you end up doing. Our second trip we stayed at Albergo del Senato and arrive early May. One price. Did our cruise and returned and stayed again Mid May. Another price QUITE a bit higher ....... 11 days difference.

Try Albergo Santa Chiara. It's in the same area as the Albergo Cesari, but even closer to the Pantheon.

They do have triples and even quad rooms. I'd contact them directly and ask what they can offer you. In fact, I recommend doing that for any hotel in Italy -- you tend to get better offers that way than just going through a consolidator or even the hotel website.

June is high season, so you're likely to find prices higher than July or August, unfortunately.

Thank you for your help. We have actually rented an apartment before when in Paris (with the kids) so I thought that may be the route we would need to go. I'll look into the Albergo del Senato also. I didn't realize June was high season - since cruise prices increase as the summer goes on. I appreciate the suggestions!

Michelle

Ask the hotel too. I have found that many hotels have apartments also. Here is a link that might work for you...http://www.rentalinrome.com/spagnastepsapartments.htm

Before booking with this agency do an internet search ... there have been several very negative reviews of their business practices posted on web sites like Slowtrav.com, which focuses on vacation rentals.

I'd also suggest looking at apartment rentals. Earlier this year we had 7 (my family + my parents) in Rome for 4 nights and found an apartment was much more economical (And roomy) than a hotel would have been. We went through VRBO and had a good experience, although being in a "prime" location meant there was a bit more noise.

If you have any mobility issues at all, be sure to check on what floor you are on and how many stairs there will be to get to your room. This holds true for hotels or apartments.

We rented an apartment that was extremely comfortable for our family of 9 the other summer. I will send you a link if you like. Price was extremely reasonable for the end of June. The thing I liked most is that it had 3 full baths. We loved the quiet location on via ****onale (I know the cc will delete part of the name, but it's n a z i without the spaces) and it was only a ten minute walk to Trevi, the metro and 15 to the colosseum.

We loved having an apartment so much we are renting again for 5 this coming spring.

Wantocruisemore - yes, I would appreciate the link. I have a quote of 810 euros for a very nice looking 2 bedroom apartment through VRBO near the Piazza Navona - for 3 nights right now.

Thank you - Michelle

In my opinion the Piazza Navonna area is better.

BTW: where is Lucas Texas ? We are in Corpus Christi on the island.

Lucas is a small town (about 5000 people) just north of Dallas. :)

Piazza Navona it is!

Michelle

Well, that's a new one on me :D I just think the area of Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, Trevi is so much fun to stroll. At night all the locals come out with their kiddos and have a gelato and stroll and sit and socialize. Very Italian ;)

Here is the link to the apartment we had: http://www.rome-accommodation.net/rome-apartments/ap46-quirinale.xhtml

We really enjoyed it and the 3 full bathrooms were perfect. It is not in the center of things like Navonna, but a great location to easily get anywhere. There's a wonderful gelato shop a 5 min. walk that we ended up with every night.

Wantocruisemore - yes, I would appreciate the link. I have a quote of 810 euros for a very nice looking 2 bedroom apartment through VRBO near the Piazza Navona - for 3 nights right now.

Thank you - Michelle

Archived