Ballroom dancing on the Princess ships

Dancersinstroud

I did HAL Westerdam last summer and the DWTS dance competition was, as someone mentioned, a joke. It's fun if you're not a dancer and wanted to learn a few basic steps. The competition aspect was disastrous in my opinion, as it seemed as if you're pretty, perky, 18, and willing to show your underwear, you win the competition, and got to go on a free cruise this month on the Niew Amsterdam for the finals with some of the pros and stars of DWTS. The very much more talented dancer, a 20-something male math teacher, who should have won, didn't stand a chance with the male crew judges who knew virtually nothing about dancing.

I also cruised the Royal in December and it seemed there was always dancing in the Piazza. It's one of the reasons I fell in love with the Royal. I'd see these older couples dancing for hours every night! Very heartwarming! Hubby and I have vowed to take some ballroom lessons so that we'll not look like idiots when next we cruise on the Royal or the Regal. Such was the caliber of dancing, we didn't even venture out. But next time, i definitely hope to be on the dance floor!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 years later...
We are ballroom dancers and thinking about booking a cruise on a Princess ship. But we do not whether the dancing on these ships is any good. Can anyone who knows about this tell us, please? Thank you

princess is not a great cruise line for any kind of ballroom/hand to hand dancing....just got off the star princess...the dancing was terrible....lousy band every night...played terrible selection of music from a dancing perspective.....on "theme nights" the ship's staff, in their effort to get people involved, ruin any hope of dancing......i give them an F.....go somewhere else if you really want to dance...if you just want to stand around and "shake it" you might like it.........