Need Help Deciding on Beach For Disabled Wife - Please Help

injunjoe

Hello all....my disabled wife, her caretaker/friend and I will be in Grand Cayman in January and I am beginning to research the best spot for us. We are all in our mid-40's and my wife has MS. She loves the sun but the sun does not love her. As long as she can stay in the shade, the water or the A/C, she will be fine. She has some mobility but it is limited. I am trying to find the best beach for us. Ideally, I would also like to be able to do a little snorkeling from shore but that is not a must.

Any suggestions on where to start looking/researching? Is there a pretty comprehensive website or websites that have abundant information/pictures of the island and its beaches? What beaches offer clear, calm waters that would be ideal for my wife? Will we be OK with the tender if I can assist in getting my wife on and off the ship? Would we be better off going with a day pass at the Hyatt or Westin? Are there other properties that offer day passes? Will we have trouble finding a taxi that can take her wheelchair? I am sure there are more questions but for now, that is all I can think of. Any and all constructive advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Injun Joe

St. Louis

221 days until the Inspiration

Hi Joe,

Please read my thread about Rum Point (Rum Point-don't miss it). This is a very calm beach. There is quite a bit of shade both down by the water and the restaurant area. The water was very shallow quite a ways out, and you can do some snorkeling under the pier area, we actually saw quite a few fish including a barracuda.

The ferry from the Hyatt to Rum Point is not running right now, but it is suppose to be up by the fall. That would be the easiest way for you to get there, take a cab to the ferry terminal near the Hyatt and cross over. It is a pretty short boat ride and drops you off on a pier that leads right to the beach and restaurant area. There are very clean restrooms including showers and they did have ramp access if she needs it.

In my review, you will see that we rented a jeep to get there, which was a very scenic ride, but for ease in helping your wife travel, the ferry would be easier.

I would be thrilled to send you some pictures of the beach to help you decide if this would be a good location for her and you can see the calm of the water, and the amazing beauty of this beach. (my personal email is: smdbelskis@prodigy.net )

Michelle

Go over to www.*******************.com They have an active forum messagebaord, with people on it that actually live there. They are more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. They have been more than helpful to me.

Looks like I was edited. The insertion in the above site is cayman activity guide

Archived