QM2 and seasickness

pisces1

This has been mentioned in previous posts but I thought it was important to bring up the subject of seasickness on transatlantic cruising aboard QM2 again. I recently returned from a round-trip voyage and was truly surprised how unprepared travelers were.

First, yes the QM2 was built to withstand the brutal forces of the North Atlantic, but no man made vessel can conquer the seas that be. You are at their mercy and not vice-versa. If the ship encounters heavy or rough seas, you will definitely feel the motion regardless of the ship's massive stabilizers. In some cases, it may even be difficult to walk and keep your balance especially in areas of the ship that are more prone to reflect the motion. If you have a chance, talk to the employees and they will provide you with unbelievable tales of rough sea experiences, where the liquor bottles literally toppled over from their secured perches in the bar area and plates slid off tables. This is not meant to scare readers here, just to let you know that the sea can cause havoc on a journey. The amazing thing is that the ship was built to withstand these conditions and even continue to cruise at a speed of 23 knots or more but again you will feel the effects.

Second, cruise lines rarely worn passengers of upcoming poor sea conditions. On QM2 you can find some weather information on the interactive television and the captain will speak briefly about it during the noon announcement, but by then you can peek out the window and see for yourself what the conditions are. I think this practice is ludicrous and can be dangerous. Many people like myself who medicate on pills such as bonine would rather not take it if it is not needed. For many, these types of anti- nausea remedies must be taken before symptoms start or their effectiveness is minimized. When I boarded in Southampton, I immediately went to the purser's desk and asked if they could provide any predictions for sea conditions for the next 24 hours. I informed the employee that I did not want to take the pills unless I needed to. Though she seemed perplexed at first, she did call the bridge to get a forecast. "Rough" was the answer, so I knew then, I will be taking my pills before she left the dock.

On day three of our voyage westbound, we hit heavy rollers and rough seas. I was seated on Deck 2 and at times I could not see the horizon because the wall of water was almost to deck 3. I was medicated so I had no concerns. I was simply awe struck at the sight of this and enjoyed it a great deal. As the day wore on, there were less and less people in the public areas and in hallways. Caution tapes were found near elevators in certain areas, where employees were busy steam cleaning carpets. Dinner was not that well attended that evening. The next morning wherever you sat you overheard conversations such as "but with her stabilizers, we certainly thought it would be a smooth crossing", or "we layed in bed all day never expecting to feel so ill". Our room steward came up to us in concern to ask us if we were ill throughout the night. We said no, we slept fine. She asked if we minded if she would get to our room much later that morning because so many people had been ill overnight she had extra work to do.

So the message from this extended cautionary tale is simple, just be prepared. The bonine worked wonders for me except for the evening I dared to venture to the Commodore's Club which is situated at the bow of the ship. Even then the medication could not help, but I simply retreated to the midship area and the symtoms disappeared. For those who enjoy the sea, the journey across the Atlantic cannot be surpassed.

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I am sailing on QM2 in November and this is my first crossing. I have been on only one other cruise, RCCL EotS to Bermuda and wasn't really sure what to expect. Would you happen to know if the seas are calmer at the end of hurricane season or are they the same? I am sailing back on the Grand Princess, but we are taking a more southerly route and I am wondering at that time of the year, which one will be rougher! :rolleyes:

It is so difficult to predict...but historically, seas are rougher in early spring and in winter. Our Eastbound cruise to Southampton was unbelievably calm and that departed April 22. The seas were literally like glass in the Grand Banks and near the Flemish Cap (where the fishing vessel from the "perfect storm" went down). Even the Captain commented several times about how unusual it was to have such gentle seas. At the same time, we did a Caribbean cruise last year in the middle of June where we hit a major storm that kept us rocking for days. Sea conditions are impossible to summarize by season. The best thing to do is prepare for the worst and then rejoice when the sailing is smooth.

Many thanks for this report. We are on doing Westbound in September and Eastbound in October. Generally cruise out of Southampton to the Med/Caribbean, so am used to rough atlantic seas and the bay of biscay. So is the northern atlantic as rough as the seas going down to the Caribbean???? I shall remember to take plenty of Stugeron tablets with me. Nothing worse than feeling nauseous!! I have never actually been physically sick, but do get nauseous and it isn't pleasant. Forearmed is forewarned!!

Does anyone know if they offer an injection for sea sickness on the QM2?? And if so how much would it cost. On P & O it costs around £45.

Elaine

I'm surprised to read about so many people fighting off sea-sickness on the QM2. She's a huge, solid and extremely sea-worthy vessel meant for comfortable transatlantic service. I would think the ship to take across the North Atlantic would be the QM2 if one regularly experiences sea-sickness on regular cruise ships.

Anyway, just a quick comment about the conditions on the North Atlantic during different times of the year, based on my seven crossings only. I went on a mid-December crossing on the QE2 just to get in on that rough winter crossing that every liner enthusiast dreams about. I've crossed in early September, when seas were moderate, late April, when seas were like a duck pond - very smooth and quiet - and I've crossed in October and May, when anything could happen and did. We had alternating days of gentle waves and rough weather. You just never know, and Mother Nature gives no guarantees.

Karen

I was on the April 22nd and April 28th crossings back to back and never felt as much as a roll, and didn't think it was rough at all on the 2nd leg of the cruise. The person I was traveling with suffers from seasickness as a rule and she was fine as well.

The voyage I was referring to that many people got ill was on one of days and nights during the Westbound May 22 transatlantic cruise. I did a round trip but not a back to back journey. Again, this was just a reminder for those who have not done a transatlantic that motion can be felt and just to be prepared if they are affected by motion sickness. The QM2 does provide both pills and shots and from what I understand, they made a few house calls that evening. Both cost $, but should be covered by your travel insurance.

I was on the May 4 eastbound. It was rough one night with a storm passing through.

A lot of empty seats in the dining room and people were also leaving during dinner. I was seated on the lower level of Britannia (deck2 ) and several times the water sloshed past the windows. I didn't notice too much motion though.

I was staying on Deck 11 and the movement was quite noticeable, also trying to walk down corridors but by next morning all was much calmer and people emerged from their cabins.

I was on the May 4 eastbound. It was rough one night with a storm passing through.

A lot of empty seats in the dining room and people were also leaving during dinner. I was seated on the lower level of Britannia (deck2 ) and several times the water sloshed past the windows. I didn't notice too much motion though.

I was staying on Deck 11 and the movement was quite noticeable, also trying to walk down corridors but by next morning all was much calmer and people emerged from their cabins.

Deck 11? No wonder you felt movement!

We has a few giant waves crash up against the windows while at the Commodore's table for dinner on our May 22nd crossing, but because we were all "ship freaks," we cheered ... and kept eating ;-)

Karen

Just need to make a point here that seems to be lost on several people who responded to the initial post. When a ship like QM2 is built to be a transatlantic liner, she is not only designed to withstand severe conditions she is able to operate under adversity with ease compared to other ships. Instead of changing course or reducing speed in inclement conditions, she can maintain her course and do so without causing great distress upon passengers, crew, and the ship itself. That is the greatness of a true ocean liner. The fact that it can operate under such conditions is its true mark, not whether or not the ship rocks while it does so. Because she is able to cruise under such adverse conditions is the reason you may be more likely to experience motion sickness on her as opposed to a Caribbean liner.

On the qe2 last year my husband & I were quite badly seasick & we went down to the nurse's quarters and got the injection. After a very good sleep, we were not bothered with sea-sickness again - I would thoroughly recommend it!

Best thing to do......

Stay outdoors, and in the fresh air.

Coke, and ginger ale helps the stomach.

Avoid alcohol.

Try to keep in the lower decks, and away from the bow and stern areas (more motion)

Same thing for upper decks... it's worse 14 stories up.. AVOID the top decks..

I know they sound old and tired, but these suggestions work.

Ask anyone who's sailed across any ocean.

Seasickness? Have the candied ginger root.

On QE2 it is at the entrances of the Grills and the two restaurants, on silver stands, with matches and slivers of chocolate. Those little golden things are not ears! Try the ginger. They even have it at what I call the back door of Mauretania, there at A-Stairwell.

Something about ginger and nature's way, it soothes the stomach and combats seasickness.

Last I knew, you gotta' work hard for it on QM2. Brittania doesn't do the ginger tray. So just go to the Grills and help yourself.

I think the same thing can also be written about any ship/any itinerary. I have been on the same ship at 2 different times of the year, once we had to go up on deck to tell if the ship was actually moving, it was so steady. The next time we were on it, the last night we had to hold on to stay in bed it was tossing so wildly. Same itinerary, different ship, most of the time was smooth, one day was very rough. The whole point is, you have to be prepared for seasickness, I prefer to take precautions ahead of time since I get seasick very easily.

The way I read it is the OP is stating that the ship is at the mercy of the sea and there is no way to be able to predict the ocean too far ahead of time. I'm always surprised that people think they won't feel any motion onboard a ship. I always take Bonine the night before departure and continue taking it every night at beditme while on a ship. The elastic seabands have also been very effective for me. I would definitely take precautions on a Trans Atlantic crossing.

Archived