change of itineraray

Hello everyone, We are off to the Caribbean on Dream in February, and I have been looking on the Cruise TT site to see which ships will be docking with us. However on the day that we should be in Margarita, Venezuela it has us in Maracaibo, Venezuela, has there been a change? :confused:

Hello everyone, We are off to the Caribbean on Dream in February, and I have been looking on the Cruise TT site to see which ships will be docking with us. However on the day that we should be in Margarita, Venezuela it has us in Maracaibo, Venezuela, has there been a change? :confused:

Hi Solostar,

I've checked our schedules and both the Latin Gems and Tropical Delights Itineraries are calling at Margarita, Venezuela as planned so I'm not sure where Cruise TT has got it's information from.

Thanks,

Lauren

Oh dear :eek: sounds like a day on board relaxing. :cool: I thought I had read that there was a nice beach.

Actually there is - it's small though so if you want any beach furniture I'd get off early and stake your claim. Although we were told it was a private beach for cruise passengers use only there appeared to be lots of locals there last time we went.

The sea is shallow and nice for bathing and there is a beach bar too. On the dock are some local craft stalls so it's not as though it's not got some appeal - it's just that that is it. Literally! There is no township or anywhere to walk to out of the port (which has security fencing around the area - hence the confusion about it's exclusive cruise passenger use). The Thomson tour of the island that we did was OK but it's not the most interesting or attractive island on the Caribbean itineraries. (I don't recollect any taxis/local tours being offered from the dock here.) We've been three times so it's wearing a bit thin for us - but if you haven't been before you can certainly make it a low-key relaxing day and enjoy some beach time but there's nowhere else to explore in the vicinity.

Sorry if I put you off a bit - I'm sure you'll make the most of it - Caribbean sunshine, beach bar and nice beach - can't be too bad! ;)

Here are some pics of the port area but if you do a Goggle Earth of the port area you'll see what I mean about the lack of habitation/facilites in the immediate area surrounding the port.

http://www.margaritasun.com/port/

Have a great time - so lucky to be going. Enjoy! :D

It says in your link that you will not see locals, but when we were there, people were coming back on to the ship and moaning that they could not get a sunbed as lots of locals were using them. There seemed to be a sort of holiday centre just behind the beach that people were coming from.

We are not beach people, so just had a wander, bought a fridge magnet, had a nice cool beer and went back to the ship. But as you say there is no town or anything. I would not be in a hurry to go back there, but I believe they are dropping it in future itineraries :confused:

Those pictures give a better impression Linda than the link! But as you said, it was our experience too that there were a lot of people from somewhere who descended on the beach - and they certainly weren't off the Dream. I think the feedback has been a big factor in replacing this port in the future but it's laid-back and if you do want a loafing around day it's ok. If you want to settle on the beach though - do get off early and grab a lounger closest to the sea. ;)

We went just outside the fencing and there were taxi's there. We met another couple in the queue and shared a taxi with them into the town of Porlamour (sp?), I think this was the capital of the Island. From memory there was one main shopping street which had some department stores, there were kids on the street selling single cigarettes from boxes (much like a cinema usherette's). We wandered down to the sea front and came across a fresh fish market, then went back up the side streets were there were various little cafes and bars that the locals used....very run down and not at all picturesque.

Our ship the Ocean Village was promoting this town as great shopping for both original and fake goods, handbags, clothing etc. but I think I only bought a bottle of perfume, from one of the better stores.

We met up the other couple after a few hours and our taxi was waiting to take us back to the ship.

Not a great adventure but a little insight into something other than just a beach.

Lorraine

Archived