Evaluation of Allegrissimo. Real or perceived value? Alternatives, ideas & tactics?

Skipper Tim

MSC is very solo friendly - there is only a 50% single supplement even in Yacht Club.

I got myself one of the YC2 Executive Suites forward deck 12 for the repositioning in March for 3800 EUR, which is the same price I paid for a 19 night collectors voyage on Holland America this past September in an obstructed view.

That being said one of my issues with Yacht Club is that the drinks are restricted to the yacht club areas, but what if you a gambler, or like o go to the night club like me?

That being said I am seriously considering taking the allegrissimo even though I am in YC so as to make the whole cruise all inclusive as opposed to just a portion of it.

MSC is very solo friendly - there is only a 50% single supplement even in Yacht Club.

I got myself one of the YC2 Executive Suites forward deck 12 for the repositioning in March for 3800 EUR, which is the same price I paid for a 19 night collectors voyage on Holland America this past September in an obstructed view.

That being said one of my issues with Yacht Club is that the drinks are restricted to the yacht club areas, but what if you a gambler, or like o go to the night club like me?

That being said I am seriously considering taking the allegrissimo even though I am in YC so as to make the whole cruise all inclusive as opposed to just a portion of it.

You know, my relative poverty is like a burned-out frame in an old movie - a mere flicker that one won't be able to remember at the end of the show. In the meantime, however....

In Dubai, in the changeover for the two back-to-backs aboard the Legend of the Seas, I managed to sneak into the grandest suite aboard - I had been looking for it. First I noticed the bathroom through the open door from the outside corridor. I wandered in. I have always had a fascination with bathrooms. It was glitzy, marble and brass and almost as big as my outside cabin. Then as I turned to the living area, I saw the 'inevitable' white grand piano! It was in tune. There was a full-size bar, fully stocked of course. It was like a show apartment in some city centre luxury development. Quite vulgar really if you know how other people are accommodated aboard!

I will be all the way aft on deck 13 overlooking the wake. It is a 'balcony-effect' cabin in that it is identical to a balcony cabin but has a shallower balcony and comes at an outside price. I especially wanted to try a Fantasia class ship for one of these cabins. It is also directly below the quieter part of the buffet for those early-morning pre-breakfasts and up another to the quieter part of the deck - oh and the YC private restaurant. I may peer in to see you!

Compared to my 'stateroom' on the QE2, which was 7 categories higher than I had booked, this will be stunning luxury. I can bring my own piano :-)

You know, my relative poverty is like a burned-out frame in an old movie - a mere flicker that one won't be able to remember at the end of the show. In the meantime, however....

In Dubai, in the changeover for the two back-to-backs aboard the Legend of the Seas, I managed to sneak into the grandest suite aboard - I had been looking for it. First I noticed the bathroom through the open door from the outside corridor. I wandered in. I have always had a fascination with bathrooms. It was glitzy, marble and brass and almost as big as my outside cabin. Then as I turned to the living area, I saw the 'inevitable' white grand piano! It was in tune. There was a full-size bar, fully stocked of course. It was like a show apartment in some city centre luxury development. Quite vulgar really if you know how other people are accommodated aboard!

I will be all the way aft on deck 13 overlooking the wake. It is a 'balcony-effect' cabin in that it is identical to a balcony cabin but has a shallower balcony and comes at an outside price. I especially wanted to try a Fantasia class ship for one of these cabins. It is also directly below the quieter part of the buffet for those early-morning pre-breakfasts and up another to the quieter part of the deck - oh and the YC private restaurant. I may peer in to see you!

Compared to my 'stateroom' on the QE2, which was 7 categories higher than I had booked, this will be stunning luxury. I can bring my own piano :-)

I saw pictures of the same cabins on Divina on a thread somewhere on this board and am ofthe opinion they are the "find" of the ship. I am not one to sit on a balcony choosing to rather stand and stare aimlessly at the sea moving by and so a "Juliet" balcony suits me quite well.

I saw pictures of the same cabins on Divina on a thread somewhere on this board and am ofthe opinion they are the "find" of the ship. I am not one to sit on a balcony choosing to rather stand and stare aimlessly at the sea moving by and so a "Juliet" balcony suits me quite well.

I posted the balcony on deck 13 of Divina images , so in case you've missed it here it is again

P1020632.jpg

Many thanks. It may be a poor balcony by balcony standards but it is a truly excellent porthole by outside standards! Also, being on deck 13 on the stern the views will be so much better than 8 decks below.

For outside rates, I think these cabins are absolute bargains.

I wonder which cabin gets the flag?

Edited by Skipper Tim

Here are some linkds to 2 other threads about deck 13 aft balcony cabins and other people's thoughts, you might find them interesting reading, especially the upgrade somebody managed

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732552

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1709067

Pete

PS the flag is BETWEEN cabins 13229 and13230:D:D:D:D

Oh and BTW, you've got my gender wrong Tim! (not that it matters)

Mairi

Mairi, I forgot to apologise! Sorry. 'AmoMondo' sounds so masculine!

You also flattered my travel writing skills in my 'live review', thank you very kindly. Now I have time on my hands in Greece, I have just started to collate my ramblings with the intention of producing something more coherent and ran across your comment. I had good material to work with! I was an academic for a few years and that involved writing but, no, never a travel writer. That would be a dream job.

Tim.

Mairi, I forgot to apologise! Sorry. 'AmoMondo' sounds so masculine!

You also flattered my travel writing skills in my 'live review', thank you very kindly. Now I have time on my hands in Greece, I have just started to collate my ramblings with the intention of producing something more coherent and ran across your comment. I had good material to work with! I was an academic for a few years and that involved writing but, no, never a travel writer. That would be a dream job.

Tim.

Yes, I guess it does sound a bit masculine. Its actually Italian for "I love the world". I chose it to convey my love of globetrotting, languages and all things Italian (except for their inability to queue!). besides someone had already beat me to my usual username of mairij, but never seen them on here actually posting.

Being paid to travel, would indeed be a dream job. Mine unfortunately only involves return trips to London City or Bristol, and usually at the crack of dawn.

Its actually Italian for "I love the world"

Of course, I was thinking "friend" but that would have been amico or, more to the point, amica!

When I lived in Italy, the huge hit at that time, from which there was no escaping, was "Io Amo" by Fausto Leali who sounded in extreme pain when singing it (

). As you have alluded, the 'Io' is superfluous. Don't you need the "il" before mondo though?

This is why I was looking forward to Italian classes aboard - to brush up on these things. My memory is poor at the best of times. Sadly they were not to be. Maybe on the Fantasia.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Skipper Tim I need your advice. I am looking to get the best possible experience from MSC without paying for extras and having read your thread you seem to be the man to know. We are a family of four (children 10 and 8) sailing back to back Western and Eastern Caribbean. My quest is to maximise the freebies, know the tactics and get the best experience for the family without spending a lot on board.

We won't be doing the Allegrissmo package (far too pricey), and would like to know what drinks we can get for free. Also recommendations for free activities, free / discounted treatments... the list could go on. Any hints at all about how to save money would be much appreciated. I look forward to your sage response! ;)

Skipper Tim I need your advice. I am looking to get the best possible experience from MSC without paying for extras and having read your thread you seem to be the man to know. We are a family of four (children 10 and 8) sailing back to back Western and Eastern Caribbean. My quest is to maximise the freebies, know the tactics and get the best experience for the family without spending a lot on board.

We won't be doing the Allegrissmo package (far too pricey), and would like to know what drinks we can get for free. Also recommendations for free activities, free / discounted treatments... the list could go on. Any hints at all about how to save money would be much appreciated. I look forward to your sage response! ;)

Jo and Rob, I think you have come to absolutely the right thread but the wrong person - at the moment. I am hoping one of the many more-knowledgable contributors will help out.

I am also aware that MSC behave differently in the Caribbean compared to Europe. But my only experience is from Europe under European conditions and behaviour. I believe the offering gets slightly more generous in the Caribbean.

Over to the experts....

Hi Jo Nd Rob

The only free alcoholic drinks are at the captains welcome and the farewell cocktail parties. Other free drinks are iced water (freely available everywhere) and tea and coffee ( not cappuccino, carter latte or espresso). There will be a drinks station at the buffet that's open 24 hours where you'll be able to get water, tea and coffee whenever you want.

Drink prices are definitely cheaper when the cruise is priced in $s rather than €s but the daily service charge is higher. Wine by the carafe or glass is pretty reasonable are as the cheaper bottles of wine. They do a cocktail and an alcoholic cocktail of the day at a reduced price. They sometimes have other drinks promotions onboard like a happy hour or a 2 for 1 - make sure you read all the Daily Programme thatnis delivered to your cabin each night as that will not only tell you all meal, bar and activity times but publish any offers. If there is a certain drink that you or your family like and you'll drink at least 12 of them, then buy a book of vouchers fro them. You basically save the cost of 2 drinks and anyone in your family can use them. You can buy them at any bar.

I have now booked the Fantasia sailing 5 March 13. I did it late last night direct with MSC after noticing that the price with coop travel and vivavoyage had trebled!! Not sure what this is about - perhaps they do this ahead of announcing a massive "sale". Anyhow having decided that I preferred the MSC option to the Costa Favolosa sailing on the same day I thought I should act quickly, as it happens the MSC prices have not changed this morning so no panic needed!

Getting back to the thread, I think the Allegrisimo would suit me but as far as I know it does not seem to be available on this cruise. Whilst I'm not a big drinker, I'd be more relaxed without having to be concerned about the growing bar bill. I have been to AI resorts in the past and I tend not to over do it (I'm old enough to know my limits and I don't like hangovers) - there are pros and cons with AIs but in recent years when I had my daughter with me it just meant I said NO less often - both to her and myself.

Anyway now that I've taken the plunge and booked I'd better show my face on the Roll call, oh and thanks to those who helped me in deciding upon the Fantasia.

Hi Jo Nd Rob

The only free alcoholic drinks are at the captains welcome and the farewell cocktail parties. Other free drinks are iced water (freely available everywhere) and tea and coffee ( not cappuccino, carter latte or espresso). There will be a drinks station at the buffet that's open 24 hours where you'll be able to get water, tea and coffee whenever you want.

Drink prices are definitely cheaper when the cruise is priced in $s rather than €s but the daily service charge is higher. Wine by the carafe or glass is pretty reasonable are as the cheaper bottles of wine. They do a cocktail and an alcoholic cocktail of the day at a reduced price. They sometimes have other drinks promotions onboard like a happy hour or a 2 for 1 - make sure you read all the Daily Programme thatnis delivered to your cabin each night as that will not only tell you all meal, bar and activity times but publish any offers. If there is a certain drink that you or your family like and you'll drink at least 12 of them, then buy a book of vouchers fro them. You basically save the cost of 2 drinks and anyone in your family can use them. You can buy them at any bar.

Great info thanks. Can you remember how much the vouchers were? Are they the sort where you tear one off each time? Happy hour sounds good. Did you take wine / sodas / water on from the ports?

You say the drinks are cheaper in $ but the service charge is more does that mean the price ends up being the same?

You can get free tea / coffee from room service breakfast up until 10:00am, you have to order cold milk as well, they won't supply any unless asked for

Here is a copy of the room service breakfast menu hanger that you hang out before you retire for the night. You can have this and have breakfast, as well, in the buffet or better still the MDR (main dining room). The MDR is always open for lunches as well and beats having to scrummage in the buffet.

You can save on buying water for trips out by filling plastic water bottles, you may have to buy one bottle and keep the bottle, either from the free dispenser in the bufffet or from your cabin bathroom, it's perfectly safe to drink the water from the cabin taps.

IMG_0001-4.jpg

IMG_0002-Copy.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Great info thanks. Can you remember how much the vouchers were? Are they the sort where you tear one off each time? Happy hour sounds good. Did you take wine / sodas / water on from the ports?

You say the drinks are cheaper in $ but the service charge is more does that mean the price ends up being the same?

THese are typical of the drinks you get on vouchers and anyone can in your party can use the vouchers, due regard to the age limit for alcoholic drinks, and you can buy sets of vouchers as neccessay. The vouchers I have seen are tea roff one at a time type system.

Any drink that you buy that is not part of a package incurs a 15% gratuity charge and if in Spanish waters a 8% Spanish VAT as well

P1000448.jpg

MSC are usually very strict about carrying on alcohol, they x-ray everything you bring on board and confiscate alcoholic drinks and return them at the end of the cruis.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Yes they are the type where you get a booklet and hand one over each time you order a drink. I can't remember the US prices but basically you pay for 10 and get 12 typically. They will add a 15% service charge to any package or individual drinks bought onboard.

The higher service charge I was referring to is the daily service charge per person. I was trying to illustrate that whilst some things are cheaper on US sailings like drinks, others are higher. It's $12 per adult per night in the Caribbean compared to €7 in the Med. See this link for full details and rates for kids:

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Already-Booked/During-The-Cruise.aspx

I have now booked the Fantasia sailing 5 March 13. I did it late last night direct with MSC after noticing that the price with coop travel and vivavoyage had trebled!! Not sure what this is about - perhaps they do this ahead of announcing a massive "sale". Anyhow having decided that I preferred the MSC option to the Costa Favolosa sailing on the same day I thought I should act quickly, as it happens the MSC prices have not changed this morning so no panic needed!

Getting back to the thread, I think the Allegrisimo would suit me but as far as I know it does not seem to be available on this cruise. Whilst I'm not a big drinker, I'd be more relaxed without having to be concerned about the growing bar bill. I have been to AI resorts in the past and I tend not to over do it (I'm old enough to know my limits and I don't like hangovers) - there are pros and cons with AIs but in recent years when I had my daughter with me it just meant I said NO less often - both to her and myself.

Anyway now that I've taken the plunge and booked I'd better show my face on the Roll call, oh and thanks to those who helped me in deciding upon the Fantasia.

Well, welcome aboard! I will check out the roll-call in due course - I think there are only three of us so far:-) Here is info for booking Allegrissimo from MSC.

"Please note that for the positioning cruises, drink packages can be booked just over the phone with us.

You can find us on 0844 561 1955."

I still haven't researched travel from GRU to the cruise terminal. I am too busy painting - decorating, not the artistic variety :-)

• 7 months later...

Hi All

A really useful thread :)

I am such a lightweight drinker, I am undecided re Allegrissimo package.

However my question pertains to the Do-Re-Mi package. On which ships is it available?? It was not available on the repositioning cruise from Argentina.

Thanks

Annie

One thing that is not clear to me, and I don't see it addressed in this thread is the matter of buying an Allegrissimo package with no alcohol.

Those of us who do not drink alcohol would still love to be value minded with everything else, which drink for drink is still sky high. The only packages that I can see are the TEEN and the CHILD packages. Now it doesn't bother me one bit that I would be getting drinks served via the equivalent of the Happy Meal menu. I just can't discern whether adults are eligible for those packages. I do not see a drink package that just offers 2/47 non stop water, soda, juice and sparkling beverages.

I know I can get this answer directly from MSC and I will, but just incase someone knows the answer ... and since this thread seems to be popular again ... I thought I'd give it a go.

Doremi is not one of the various drinks packages you can prebook via the UK website but I've never been on a cruise where it wasn't available to buy onboard. It is sometimes referred to as the Vitamin drink package onboard.

I'm fairly sure that the non alcoholic version of Allegrissimo is only available to children. It may be possible if all adults in the party are teetotal, they may allow you to buy the kids version. At £20 per day it' can still be reasonable value for a non drinker, provided you have a few smoothies or non alcholic cocktails, fresh squeezed juices, coffees and ice cream

Doremi is not one of the various drinks packages you can prebook via the UK website but I've never been on a cruise where it wasn't available to buy onboard. It is sometimes referred to as the Vitamin drink package onboard.

I'm fairly sure that the non alcoholic version of Allegrissimo is only available to children. It may be possible if all adults in the party are teetotal, they may allow you to buy the kids version. At £20 per day it' can still be reasonable value for a non drinker, provided you have a few smoothies or non alcholic cocktails, fresh squeezed juices, coffees and ice cream

The children's Allegrissimo package on my cruise is half the price of the adult one.

Thanks Amomondo for the info re the Doremi package.

Annie